Thumbs Up/Down

Would you like to see thumbs up/down buttons as discussed here?

• Total voters

earthsciteach

Thumbs up to the thumbs down button.

I believe it is critically important (ok, stepping up on the soapbox) to be able to engage in discussions where one disagrees with another in an intelligent and polite manner. I feel like this is lacking in our society, the United States in particular. Political beliefs have become so polarized that, to me, it seems that political party A will cut the nose off the country to spite political B. I don't see any intelligent discussions from either side supporting their positions, but merely what is wrong with the other side's beliefs. (Ok, enough ranting).

I see the disposition of political discussions spilling over to other areas where people disagree. There seems to be a lack of an ability to consider another viewpoint for its validity. I guess summarily dismissing an opposing idea is much easier to do. This is the opposite of intelligence! I sincerely hope that this forum does not follow suit with wattflyer in shutting down any thread where "controversial" subjects are being discussed. There are agreeable ways to disagree and the value in those discussions is great!

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I believe so. You need to sign in with Facebook to use it.

images.jpg

Thumbs up to the thumbs down button.

I believe it is critically important (ok, stepping up on the soapbox) to be able to engage in discussions where one disagrees with another in an intelligent and polite manner. I feel like this is lacking in our society, the United States in particular. Political beliefs have become so polarized that, to me, it seems that political party A will cut the nose off the country to spite political B. I don't see any intelligent discussions from either side supporting their positions, but merely what is wrong with the other side's beliefs. (Ok, enough ranting).

I see the disposition of political discussions spilling over to other areas where people disagree. There seems to be a lack of an ability to consider another viewpoint for its validity. I guess summarily dismissing an opposing idea is much easier to do. This is the opposite of intelligence! I sincerely hope that this forum does not follow suit with wattflyer in shutting down any thread where "controversial" subjects are being discussed. There are agreeable ways to disagree and the value in those discussions is great!

Picture 4.png

FYAI, the thumbs I am using now are not what I am requesting to have implemented. They are merely a temp fix which really fix nothing since they too are taking up post real estate. They are more of a sign to show that this could work without making another post and detracting from the post with which we wish to merely opine with a sign.

The forum polls do the same thing but at the thread level. One can see a number of responses and if desired see who the voters were.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
I'm kinda neutral--but voted 1....because another "angry swordsman controversy" might arise....but there are pros and cons of each option besides 3

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I like this format from Wattflyer...Just a simple thumbs up and down button on each post so we don't have to find an image on google of a thumbs up or down lol. Also it's neat to show how many times someone has received a "thanks".

thankpost.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about, bicyclemonkey!

UPDATE: Just checked, WattFlyer is also