Thumbs Up/Down

Would you like to see thumbs up/down buttons as discussed here?

• Total voters

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Before I bailed out of FB there was a handy little button there that I think might be a good idea here, if it can be done. ON FB, It is the "Like" button. YouTube has thumbs up and down buttons.

Sometimes I would just like to just show support without making another post in the thread. Posting on a thread takes up space and can make a simple thread pages long. Having a thumbs up button would allow one to show support without taking up electronic real estate and keeping things concise, that and if the poster wanted to contact anyone who showed interest, that would be an option.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Jim, that's a great idea. It's going on the list of things to do.

Attachments

• AvroArrow_001.jpg
    AvroArrow_001.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Agree. But I don't think a dislike button is good. Allows people to "attack" others.. IMHO

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
@Monkey,
See, here's another example of when I would want to use the thumbs up. I agree with what you said there and instead of me throwing in more words (like I'm doing now) that distract from the very ones I find so agreeable I would much rather show my ascent via a small marker than a bulky post as this very one.

@Colorex,
I disagree. I think a thumbs down is no big deal. Disagreement isn't necessarily personal... Or should I be ticked off that you don't like my whole idea including the thumbs down?

I'll sleep fine either way.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
On other forums they have a "thanks" button...

Attachments

• P1010160.JPG
    P1010160.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 424
  • P1010161.JPG
    P1010161.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 440
  • P1010162.JPG
    P1010162.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 446
  • P1010163.JPG
    P1010163.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 411
  • P1010164.JPG
    P1010164.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 433
  • P1010165.JPG
    P1010165.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 414
  • P1010166.JPG
    P1010166.JPG
    345.6 KB · Views: 416

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
@Monkey,
See, here's another example of when I would want to use the thumbs up. I agree with what you said there and instead of me throwing in more words (like I'm doing now) that distract from the very ones I find so agreeable I would much rather show my ascent via a small marker than a bulky post as this very one.

Now that's playing on my ego. To think that if there was a thumbs up feature, that I would have just gotten one. All of a sudden I really, REALLY want a like, or thumbs up feature. :D

The thumbs down option is also being discussed. There is a value to it, to show displeasure at someone's bad behavior or to express a dislike of a bad situation being reported from the news. There's also a possibility of it being misused. The worth of it is being weighed against the risk of discourse.

You guys are the first ones to use this forum. Chad and I are using you as our test subjects to see what works and doesn't work in here. So we're very thankful for the input.

Attachments

• IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
That comment was directed at what seems to me now to be your signature. I like profound stuff.

Help me out, what risk is there that doesn't already exist through posts? On Facebook a person can see who "Like'd" his post. I'm not saying it should be anonymous. Anyone being hateful with a simple sign of approval or disapproval could be just as easily be found out as with a malicious post, though I don't know how hateful such a sign or symbol could be. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Crap. I voted wrong... Stupid scroll wheel... I meant to vote 2nd option... :(
JimCR120 you have my unwilling cooperation.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
You see, even if you vote in dissent, in a way you are showing how dissent is no big deal. The poll does not hide who voted what. If a person can vote "no" or even a "partial no", why would there be a problem in voting a thumbs down?

I still fail to see the so called danger that is so feared. Maybe if it was explained to me I would have a different opinion.

Besides, the forum has rules of conduct. Anyone who desires to break the rules won't allow a lack of a thumbs down button get in their way.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
If you didn't add the "fear rejection" line in there, I wouldn't have voted for it. But I fear it, I fear it very much. I just had to click #2... :D

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Some people might become offended if they receive a thumbs down...

But then what is to stop those same people from being offended from a post where someone disagrees. Have we become so sensitive that we have to pretend that everyone's opinion is right and we all agree with everyone?

Is there anything that prohibits me from sharing my difference of opinion with anyone else in the forum? What's the difference? I'm not offended that you have a different opinion on this. Are you offended that mine is different than yours? I seriously don't see how a simple tally of likes and dislikes or thumbs up and down would be more risky than the ability to post a message conveying so much more.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
If you didn't add the "fear rejection" line in there, I wouldn't have voted for it. But I fear it, I fear it very much. I just had to click #2... :D
Sure but you voted what you did knowing that I would disagree. So if you can be so incredibly brave to put yourself out on that limb and risk so much in putting your name with a vote like that, why not everyone?

How is the ultra-sensitive protected from a post of dissent? Isn't that ability much more risky?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
You are a good maker-of-points. But disagreement is rarely expressed in posts. These posts are just ignored. However, a dislike button makes it so easy that it might motivate people to express their disagreement instead of ignoring the post.
You got the idea for a thumbs up because you don't want to clutter up a post with agreement. Have you felt the need to disagree with someone without explaining why?
Anyway, how would notifications work? Would you scroll through a bunch of text just to find out that the "new" post was actually only someone agreeing or disagreeing

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
When I was on Facebook there wasn't a dislike button their either but it was something that everyone was asking for. Without it though I have disagreed with many people in short and long fashion. If the post is simple enough and I think I will be understood, I can simply say, "I disagree" which I have done. I have also gone into detail and had discussions (as we are having) to explain why my opinion differs. I sleep just fine knowing people disagree with me. This discussion here doesn't bother me a bit nor does the idea of not getting it my way. I do enjoy pressing a point some but not to the point of causing distress.

As for the notifications of how I would even know, I would have it as it is on YouTube and as it almost was on Facebook. Each post can have a thumbs up and thumbs down symbol. And forum users can see the degree of agreement/disagreement without having to read each post that would otherwise be posted.

I think you're right that the thumbs down would not be used much but I don't think that is a reason to exclude even the possibility of using it.

To use our disagreement as an example. For every reason I give that people disagreed with they could simply click the thumbs down icon. I could then see that my opinion is not shared and by how many. Why should that knowledge bother me so much? It doesn't. We are individuals who don't always agree which is a simple fact of life.

Do you see YouTube's inclusion of a thumbs down is a problem? I think it's a feature, not a fault.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Jim, that's a great idea. It's going on the list of things to do.

I thought I found a gem at the top of the thread but then as I tried it out it turned out to be a link back to Facebook.

Whether you go both thumbs or the single communist thumb, it would be nice to have this on the individual posts, not just the threads.

Is this doable?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Doable, Yes. But only your Facebook friends will see that you liked the post. So, not usable.