Tick Quad

RichB

Thanks for those links, jipp. I just watched Bruce's review on those.

I've tried 5030, 5040 Gemfans. Now am into some HQ 6030 and I really like them.

I have Sunnyskyx2204s 2300kv with 12A ESC on 3S. Looking at the chart here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2112708

Shows 6030 are under 10A, but the 6045 jumps to almost 20A (granted, different manufacturer, but still).

I wish those props you linked came in 6x3 but I don't see them listed :(

CharelZa

This quad have been haunting me from last night, kept on thingking of it, man I love this Idea.
This build might happen allot sooner than planned.... Thanx:eek: I think....lol

RichB

This quad have been haunting me from last night, kept on thingking of it, man I love this Idea.
This build might happen allot sooner than planned.... Thanx:eek: I think....lol

Glad to hear it! :cool:

Make sure to share. Also, come here with any questions

RichB

Got out of the back yard and let the Tick breathe a little bit last night.

This was also my first ever attempt at air-to-air filming. I don't think I did half bad. Certainly no Alex but not bad for a first time out.

All footage is taken from the mobius shown above in the thread. It's bolted directly to the frame, so please excuse a little jello here and there.

Greg2B

Very nice, other then the jello it was pretty good. And all that with the little tick quad. Great video.

RichB

Still loving this frame. The way you can get super-low and squeeze through tight spaces makes it a lot o fun.
I'm getting better at flying it each day. I might make a series out of my progress.

Here's the latest from last night.

Last edited:

jipp

looks fun. this summer my sister husband wants to take his two boys age 4, and 3... fishing for the first time this summer ( he is a school teacher so he gets the paid summer of, one bonus of being a school teacher.. about it really with all the stupid politics... my sis wants me to go along.. which i think i will.. to help teach them how to fish.. as i grew up in the mountains etc.. her husband is a city boy.. anyhow, i do not drive any more because of my accident.. so im thinking i could take advantage of this to gets some good footage and places i would get to fly.

so i have to decide if i want to get a mobius or a JS4000 scam camera. and im starting to wish i would of picked a different frame for my second build. shrugs.

chris

Darkback2

Great video! It is really cool to think you can shoot video like that with such a little and portable quad. I would almost like to see if you can't get even closer to your subjects! A little bit of dampening material between the frame and the camera and I think you would be in good shape.

As a side note, I wonder if tuning gains might also help with jello? Are you seeing more jello at different times of flight, say, climbing? A part of me wonders if you could connect the gains to a switch on your controller so you could lower them slightly when filming, and then get more crisp response when not filming...

DB

RichB

The vibrations I'm getting are definitely only at the upper end of the throttle range. They don't appear to be P-related oscillations, but I guess it could be possible.

I'm running under the hypothesis that the issue is with prop stall. I was running HQ 5x4 props on that video. 5x4 is super-aggressive and not at all something that makes sense for hovering, but for some reason when you get to mini quads the convention is to put a prop on that only a few people in the world can actually use efficiently.

3D planes and larger multirotors always use low-pitched props, usually around 2:1 or larger diameter to pitch ratio. 8x4, 10x5, 11x5, 9x4, etc. You would never see a 10x8 prop on a 500-class multi, why are we putting 5x4 on our 250-class multis? We aren't all charpu, no matter how hard we try.

So I've been doing a little experimenting. Currently I've swapped out the 5x4 to some 6x3. These motors and ESCs can handle those props, and they have plenty of thrust for me. This frame can outfly my skill level, so I am going to stay at 3-inch pitch until i really feel like it's slowing me down.

Results: The shakiness is largely eliminated at full throttle. Much less throttle is needed to hover. The overall acceleration is hugely improved, and that includes arresting a descent as well as maneuvering. For example, when I drop from on high and swoop underneath something, a small increase in throttle is all that's needed to keep me off the ground. With the 5x4 props, I really had to blip the throttle almost to max as I went under. Carving corners feels a lot different as well. It's hard to describe actually. It's almost like with the 6-inch props theres more traction on the air. To be honest it reminds me of piloting a fixed wing. The craft seems to just want to glide in the direction I put it.

Going from a hover to full climb, I imagine the 6x3 props, when compared to the 5x4, have such a good bite of air to them that they are actually climbing up into still air with every rotation, where the 5x4 are just beating up the turbulent air around them into submission, trying to move it downwards.

I would have loved to get closer to the plane, but I didn't fully know what I was doing, plus I was not coordinating with the other pilots. That is to say, they were aware of what I was doing, but they were just flying around doing their own thing, not trying to make it easy for me. :)

FT Storch FPV with Tick Quad Chase

Here is a vid we made with Rich chasing my FPV FT Storch with the Tick Quad. He got the vibrations worked out pretty good and is getting pretty good on the controls!

jipp

cool video. looks like lots of fun. its good to know i wont be the only one entering FPV using the cheap hobby king goggles. :D
chris.

cool video. looks like lots of fun. its good to know i wont be the only one entering FPV using the cheap hobby king goggles. :D
chris.

Hey Chris, do a little googling and you will find there are a few EASY mods you can do to make those "cheep" hobby king goggles even better. Rich and I like them equally as much as the FatSharks he uses.

jipp

Hey Chris, do a little googling and you will find there are a few EASY mods you can do to make those "cheep" hobby king goggles even better. Rich and I like them equally as much as the FatSharks he uses.

thanks for the tip, i have not even taken them out of the box yet. i went with the version 2 that comes with the neoprene swim suit material cover for the foam.. was 70.00 unfortunately as they are not in the US wear house so you get nailed with shipping.
but i figure it would be best just to get that model as it says it has upgrades.. and also the new head band can hold all the parts with built in pockets.
not sure what battery etc ill need..

chris.

RichB

Flite Test | HobbyZone Sportsman S+

tickquadcopy.png

Jump to 9:10

Hey, that looks familiar! ;)

CharelZa

Haha, I saw that the other night and thought they must have liked your quad as much as we do and made their own one..
Good stuff