Tigermoth... Goes 3D! ... I hope.

Overprop

Screenshot_20200404-083329_Chrome.jpg

Quarantined here in the UK so dug out what supplies I had:
  • One sheet of flitetest brown foam, 2/3rds of a board of white foam.
  • Emax 2205 2600kv motor
  • 6x5 bullnose wood prop or 7x3 APC thin electric
  • Emax 20g digital servos x3
  • 1300mah 3s
  • 30a Turnigy plush ESC
  • A few carbon rods
  • Lemon rx
  • Some wheels off a 200% Racer
  • Blue pearlescent paint
So pretty limited on foam and really wanted to build a 3D biplane. So cut the brown foam in half and made two 20" wings. No waste.

20200403_213854.jpg

I have loosely based this build on the Tigermoth, with larger control surfaces optimised for 3D aerobatics. I have looked at a few photos and cut this out freehand, very little measurements and no drawings, just some Covid creativeness!
Got to laugh at them wheels!

20200403_195318.jpg

Carbon rods push the elevator, rudder and rear wheel steering.

20200403_213829.jpg

You get the idea.

I should have the canopy and upper wing finished this week. Will give it a paint and report back.

This is how I've been annoying my better half:

Hope your all staying safe and making good use of the time. 🤣

Overprop

Progress update:
ESC fixed in, had a lick of paint, landing gear glued on and started to mount the upper wing.

The outer wing supports a going to be some stub sections with a double popsicle stick on each one. A carbon rod frame support in the middle. Probably will settle on a carbon rod stay at at the rear of the wing behind the stub sections.

Making the stubs sturdy...
20200409_202149.jpg

Temporarily mounted to get a feel for the finished article.
20200409_214951.jpg

20200409_215129.jpg

Getting stoked to fly this thing soon!

shadeyB

Legendary member
View attachment 164708

Quarantined here in the UK so dug out what supplies I had:
  • optimised for 3D aerobatics. I have looked at a few photos and cut this out freehand, very little measurements and no drawings, just some Covid creativeness!
🤣
COVID-19: creativeness love it
your lucky you have foam left 😭😭😭
tearing ma hair out waiting on my radio coming

good luck and be sure to post maiden, ask yer better half to come film it as part of her exercise while you exercise your thumbs lol

Overprop

COVID-19: creativeness love it
your lucky you have foam left 😭😭😭
tearing ma hair out waiting on my radio coming

good luck and be sure to post maiden, ask yer better half to come film it as part of her exercise while you exercise your thumbs lol

Haha ill try and get my wife to come and film the maiden. It might just be a pretty video of the sky though.

The Tigermoth is finished, ill post some photos tomorrow. Mounting the top wing took a bit of fettling to get the right angle. Pleased with game end result. Total build including 1300mah battery is just under 600g.

Overprop

The MicroMoth has landed and hopefully will take off and fly 3D.

Finished weight is 600g including 1300mah battery. Pulling around 1kg thrust.

20200411_084438.jpg

Settled on a double popsicle stick outer support and carbon rod frame centre support. Feels sturdy.

20200411_084318.jpg

Carbon rods join the upper and lower ailerons.
20200411_084501.jpg

20200411_084524.jpg

Will it fly or die?????

Overprop

The MicroMoth has been maidened!

It was quite a handful but had a successful first flight. Feels like it has high wing loading, a touch tail heavy and was pulling to the left for some reason? Not looking like it has enough float for 3D flight but is quite entertaining to fly non the less.

Managed to get my wife to come out and film the action:

Last edited: