Timber motor problem

Headbang

Master member
The cowl is held on by a couple screws. The motor mount is a single piece of plastic glued in or screwed in depending on manufacturing date. Take the cowel off, add some extra glue to the motor mount, or glue it if it is screwed in, check the screws holding the motor, add a drop of CA to all the screws before you screw them back in.
With any e-flite plane, you need to check all screws inside and out. The humans putting those screws in don't get paid enough to care.

Greg A

The cowl is held on by a couple screws. The motor mount is a single piece of plastic glued in or screwed in depending on manufacturing date. Take the cowel off, add some extra glue to the motor mount, or glue it if it is screwed in, check the screws holding the motor, add a drop of CA to all the screws before you screw them back in.
With any e-flite plane, you need to check all screws inside and out. The humans putting those screws in don't get paid enough to care.

Greg A

Hi ...Headbang
I crashed my Timber one time and I tried to take out the motor housing try to cut around it it wouldn't come out. Then I put Gorilla Glue around it and thought I had it tight but it's still vibrating. But it's not screwed in it was glued in.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It might not be the problem but if it won't come off then the vibration could be a bent motor shaft. If the motor shaft is bent nothing except replacing the motor shaft will stop the vibration, (except for replacing the motor complete that is).

Have fun!

Greg A

It might not be the problem but if it won't come off then the vibration could be a bent motor shaft. If the motor shaft is bent nothing except replacing the motor shaft will stop the vibration, (except for replacing the motor complete that is).

Have fun!
It only vibrates at certain speeds. If I fly wide open its fine. I can move the motor mount up and down with my hand on the propeller shaft.

FastCrash45

Elite member
If it's the motor and has a slight shaft or bearing problem it can possibly disappear at higher speeds. I had a motor in a boat that would do that at top speed which cracked the hull. Was a bearing problem. If you didn't balance the prop before flying that would loosen the bearing. Just my 2 cents.

Greg A

If it's the motor and has a slight shaft or bearing problem it can possibly disappear at higher speeds. I had a motor in a boat that would do that at top speed which cracked the hull. Was a bearing problem. If you didn't balance the prop before flying that would loosen the bearing. Just my 2 cents.
don't know how to balance the prop guess I'll have to buy a new motor see what happens

FastCrash45

Elite member
don't know how to balance the prop guess I'll have to buy a new motor see what happens
Can you hear the motor clunking any where like metal against plastic? Or does it not really make a sound and just moves? If it just moves the shaft and bell or would be the motor, if you hear a light clicking type sound it would be the mounts.

Headbang

Master member
A magnetic prop balancer is cheap. But in a pinch just put the prop on anything like a piece of wire or bbq skewer, let go of the prop and see if drops to one side. If it does, sand a little bit from the trailing edge of the heavy blade. Keep doing that until the prop balances on the wire. A magnetic balancer is nothing more then a frictionless piece of wire.

Greg A

Can you hear the motor clunking any where like metal against plastic? Or does it not really make a sound and just moves? If it just moves the shaft and bell or would be the motor, if you hear a light clicking type sound it would be the mounts.
I don't hear anything but the front end of the plane vibrating very bad. It's making a Styrofoam vibration sound don't hear anything from the motor or mount.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Did you run the motor without a prop on? This would confirm a balance issue.

You say the motor can move up and down. What happens when you run the motor with the plane held inverted? Does the vibration change?

Bricks

Master member
I just read this whole thing and I am confused, when you grab the motor to move it what actually moves, the bell of the motor, the whole mount or just the whole motor? Figure this out and then we can help more.

Greg A

I just read this whole thing and I am confused, when you grab the motor to move it what actually moves, the bell of the motor, the whole mount or just the whole motor? Figure this out and then we can help more.
The whole motor mount is loose inside the Styrofoam front of the plane.