Time to get flying again

messyhead

So after a bit of a break, I'm getting back into this "fun" :D

I posted about my previous build and maiden flight here...

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/my-first-build-a-modified-mutts.58210/

I'm rebuilding the fuselage for this, and using the wing. I've also ordered a FT quick build tiny trainer kit, for my son.

I'm thinking of building something else. I was going to do a Simple Cub, but from things I've read, it's not so easy to fly for a beginner. So I was thinking of the Simple Scout instead.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Welcome back!! I've never personally flown a scout, but I love the mini scout so I can say with some certainty that the full size is a great plane :D

messyhead

I might need to work out how it'll fly with the heavier foam board available in the UK. I might need to modify the wing

FDS

Elite member
@messyhead If you make a UK scout add 30mm length to the FRONT, ahead of the wing, then it’s fine, mine balances and flies great, it’s got a 2212 1000kv and 9x6 prop. More than enough thrust. I run a 2200mah 3s as well. It will balance on a 1300 with the extra length. You can go up a size on motor too, I have a 28xx on my Sportster, then you can run a 10 or 11” prop. The 2212 will spin a 10x4 too.

messyhead

@messyhead If you make a UK scout add 30mm length to the FRONT, ahead of the wing, then it’s fine, mine balances and flies great, it’s got a 2212 1000kv and 9x6 prop. More than enough thrust. I run a 2200mah 3s as well. It will balance on a 1300 with the extra length. You can go up a size on motor too, I have a 28xx on my Sportster, then you can run a 10 or 11” prop. The 2212 will spin a 10x4 too.

Thanks. That's good to know. I'll get the plans printed this week, and start making templates.

I've got a couple of 2204/1300kV motors for the tiny trainers, but I'll need to order one for the scout. And I've got some 1300mah 3s batteries. I ordered some car wheel balancing weights a while ago that I used to balance my previous MUTTS model, and they're quite handy to help with balancing without adding too much weight.

FDS

Elite member
I never add weight, we have heavy enough board without carrying any lead around on top. Making the nose longer, fitting a bigger battery or motor are more efficient ways to do it.
Mine has flown great with a 2212/1000kv, it might be one of those really crappy gold Ebay motors as well.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I also use heavy FB and I like removing the paper covering the FB on the inside of the fuselage tail boom, (before assembly). On the larger models the removal of the paper and a slightly larger motor cures any balance issue and any performance issues at the same time!

It works for me!

Have fun!

messyhead

I also use heavy FB and I like removing the paper covering the FB on the inside of the fuselage tail boom, (before assembly). On the larger models the removal of the paper and a slightly larger motor cures any balance issue and any performance issues at the same time!

It works for me!

Have fun!

It's actually your Mutts model that got me flying with the heavier board.

How did you remove the paper? I tried gently heating it with an iron on some test pieces, but it was tricky to not melt the foam.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It's actually your Mutts model that got me flying with the heavier board.

How did you remove the paper? I tried gently heating it with an iron on some test pieces, but it was tricky to not melt the foam.
Here is a post I did a while ago showing the method I use on new FB.

I do have a number of AGED sheets of FB which I reserve for builds requiring me to remove the paper as the paper bond weakens over time. The aged FB, (sheets I have had for many months), is easier to remove the paper from but then having older sheets is not a requirement.

Have a look at the previous post and see what you think!

Have fun!

messyhead

Here is a post I did a while ago showing the method I use on new FB.

I do have a number of AGED sheets of FB which I reserve for builds requiring me to remove the paper as the paper bond weakens over time. The aged FB, (sheets I have had for many months), is easier to remove the paper from but then having older sheets is not a requirement.

Have a look at the previous post and see what you think!

Have fun!

Do you have a link?