Time to retire Taranis X9D+ ?? Need advice

baslug

So I've been out of the R/C hobby for about 5 or 6 years and trying to get back into it with my 10yo son. I bought the Bardwell beginner drone kit from getfpv, have several unbuilt kits I've picked up within the last year with the intent to get back in (Tiny Trainer, Simple Cub, Tiny Trainer, Simple Cub, FT3D, FT Mini Speedster, FT Mini Corsair, a couple Magnums from Michigan Park Flyers). I've got a Taranis X9D+ which served me well 5 years ago, so I picked up a X9 Lite for my son to use... I also picked up several receivers billed as FrSky compatible (3x XM+'s, Archer R4, 4x RadioMaster R84's) and salvaged some old D4R-II's, X4R's, and X8R's out of my older builds.

So we're most of the way through building the Tiny Trainer together and I've got the Bardwell drone all soldered up, but I can't get the dang XM+ to bind. I've spent the last few hours reading about how FrSky protocols have changed from ACCST v1 to v2 and then again to ACCESS (which is what that X9 Lite uses). I haven't even got into whether ACCESS is backwards compatible with ACCST receivers... but I understand the ACCST radios and receivers need to be on the same version to bind, yet I still can't get this old radio and XM+ to do so. I've tried updating firmware in the X9D+ as well as the receiver, but can't seem to find the right combo that will talk to each other. What's worse is that the XM+ doesn't have a cute little connector to make flashing firmware through the radio easy, so I've got to solder a servo connector to it to flash, then remove the connector and resolder to the FC to see if it worked (I looked into trying to flash through the FC, but passthrough only works with SmartPort enabled... which the XM+ doesn't have...ugh)

I haven't checked yet to see if the radio will bind to any of the old/other receivers, but I'm afraid I'm getting lost in a huge pile of incompatibility and I'm spending an excessive amount of my already precious time just trying to get it to work instead of having fun actually flying. I'm on the verge of scrapping the radio and simply buying into another system... but I know I'll spend a whole lot of time researching other protocols/radios/etc trying to decide which to pull the trigger on and it'll be that much longer before we get something in the air.

If anyone has some advice on how best to use my time to get into a working system, I'm all ears. Is there something I'm missing with what I have? Is there a better approach to testing/flashing/updating the equipment I've got? or would it be worth buying new radios/receivers? If so, which brand/protocol/systems should I be looking at? FWIW, I'm not so much worried about the cost at this point... I want my time back. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels on something that may not work but I just can't recognize it b/c I've been out for so long.
Thanks in advance

LitterBug

Techno Nut
To be clear, you updated the firmware on the internal XJT transmitter module inside the X9D+ and not just OpenTX?
I left ALL my modules (TX and RX) on the last V1 firmware. My X9D+died and I switched to a Radiomaster T16S. No regrets. The multiprotocol module is allowing me to retire my Spektrum TX too.

baslug

To be clear, you updated the firmware on the internal XJT transmitter module inside the X9D+ and not just OpenTX?
I left ALL my modules (TX and RX) on the last V1 firmware. My X9D+died and I switched to a Radiomaster T16S. No regrets. The multiprotocol module is allowing me to retire my Spektrum TX too.

Ahhh fudge. I went to respond affirmatively and include links to the firmware I downloaded from here: https://www.frsky-rc.com/taranis-x9d-plus-2/
Turns out I missed the "XJT RF Module" and only used the ones in "Firmware - Radio OS". I should've known better.

Of course it works now. At least I recognized I was staring at it too long and needed another pair of eyes on what I was missing. Thanks so much!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Awesome! Glad it is working! I had an issue binding to a xm+ recently. Worked on my external XJT, but not the internal 4-in-1 on my RadioMaster. Updated the multiprotocol module, and it works now too.

Tench745

Master member
I had an XM+ reciever I couldn't figure out how to flash new firmware on. Luckily, I have a Jumper 4-in-1 external module for my X9D+ and it uses V1 ACCST so I just run the external module with that RX.
I highly recommend the module, it gives the Taranis almost all the versatility of a Radiomaster.