Tiny Trainer as first plane: 2S or 3S battery?

AviateCrate

Hi all! I'm looking at Tiny Trainer speed build kit as my first plane to build and fly. I have zero experience with RC, so I’m looking for something that’s easy to fly.

The recommended battery in the Flite Test store is the "Tattu 3s LiPo Battery 75C". Is that 3S battery going to be too much for my first plane? Or would I be better with a 2S battery?

FDS

Elite member
Depends on what motor KV you have, I run mine on a 2s and it flies great, I use a slightly higher KV cheap 1806/2400KV motor in mine. It flies well with a 6x4 APC prop and a 500-800mah 2s.
If you buy a 3s you will just have to watch the throttle when you first fly, it can be pretty fast on that and when you are learning everything seems quick enough already!
The power pack A motor with 6x4 prop will run fine on 2s if you want to start slow. The 40c 850 2s packs from Hobbyking are under $10 each.
If you don’t have a transmitter yet don’t rush buying that, there’s more options available that are cheaper or potentially more versatile than those plugged by FT, there’s a great radio thread you should read here before buying. Also consider what you might buddy box with, if you can fly with a more experienced pilot buddy boxing you it will help you learn quicker.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Since you don’t have any experience flying yet, I would recommend buying the white foam board from the dollar store and tracing the speed build kit plans that you bought on it. Then build it out of the white foam board so you will have the speed build kit as a plan. When you have mastered the art of flying, you can have a great looking tiny trainer to show off when you build the speed build kit. For a transmitter, I would recommend the Spektrum dxe transmitter. If you have the money, go for the dx6e - it’s the transmitter that I fly off of, and I love it! Good luck! This is an exciting and awesome hobby!

AviateCrate

All, thanks for the help!

I was planning on just getting the Power Pack A kit with the Radial 1806 2280kV motor and a 6x3 prop. So, it sounds like a 2S battery is good to start with.

Hanger, that's a great idea to copy out the speed build kit onto other foam board. I'm sure my first plane is going to get a lot of abuse.

Ah, and receiver question! I'm not sure which camp I want to throw my hat in with yet. The Spectrum side seems to have the most BNF aircraft, but the FrSky side seems to have more options in the FPV drone side. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks again!

FDS

Elite member
You don’t need to pick a camp, Open TX is harder to learn but a $20 module into the OpenTX radio gives you access to and DSMX/Horizon Hobby/Spektrum plane.
If you are going to do quads then FRsky or Open TX based stuff is the way to go. There’s more set up tutorials and the FRsky SBUS receivers are superb.
Look at the Jumper T12 Pro, it’s sub $100 and has a great multi protocol module and Hall effect gimbals included, it’s opentx based but does everything out the box.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Great advice from @FDS .

You may find it simpler to learn this hobby if you start a build thread, post photos of your build as you build it and film the maiden and any glide tests.

This way you have a reference to how it was built when you are rebuilding after a crash, and the forum can help you with questions during your creation. Filming the maiden and your control surface testing can also help if you are crashing and don't know why. The forum can often watch your video and offer solutions and suggestions to get you flying more and crashing less.

Our hobby is build, fly, crash, repeat. Don't despair when you smack a few sheets of foamboard into the ground in spectacular fashion. Post the video and we can all relate. :)

If you are new to soldering or you don't have wads of cash to spend on motors and ESCs, build a smokestopper.

Welcome to the FliteTest forums @AviateCrate !

AviateCrate

@FDS Yes, the OpenTX stuff is a big draw. It sounds like the initial setup is harder, but each individual piece seems understandable. Glad to know the radio modules actually work. Thanks again!