Tiny Trainer battery substitution

kargo

Hi Gang,

I am trying to buy the suggested/offered powerpack and battery for the Tiny Trainer, but the battery (3s) is constantly out of stock. I found one with similar mah and 3s, but it has a higher C rating and does not list dimension or weight specs. I'm guessing its a bit heavier...

Does anyone know if this is too heavy, or has dimensions that won't work with the TT?

Thanks,

Kargo

https://store.flitetest.com/g7-3s-850mah-si-graphene-50c/
G7 3s 850mah Si-Graphene 50c

Duck

Should be fine. The trainer can carry quite a bit and with a nice battery on the A pack it will fly great. I mount mine on top of the nose to hit the cg for a heavier pack. Mine also doesnt fit well in the fuse. Still flies great.

kargo

Thanks for the Reply. I was guessing it should be fine, but I don't want to spend the money on a batt to have it to work out. Guess I'd have to add it to the collection;)

I'd like to keep the battery inside the fuse. It's also my two girls first experience with RC, so I need to keep it pretty docile (no weird CG issues, compatibility issues).

What kind of battery are you using? Is it a lot higher capacity?

K

kargo

After receiving a reply from Fred at flite test and the responses here, I'll go with the higher C rating batteries. I'll try to remember to post how it goes! K

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
After receiving a reply from Fred at flite test and the responses here, I'll go with the higher C rating batteries. I'll try to remember to post how it goes! K

The higher C battery ratings are just fine. Think of a C rating as how fast your battery can theoretically dump its stored energy. On the battery, higher is better; the battery stays cooler when it's draining. Going lower than the recommended, you'll run the risk of the battery overheating, which can cause it to puff over time or possibly even fail during flight. The downside with higher C rating batteries is that they can be more expensive, or sometimes are a little bit bigger than the lower C rating batteries. Generally it's not an issue, but for some builds where battery size is fairly exact, you may be struggling with moving the battery and manipulating that battery compartment place to get it to work for you.

kargo

Thanks for the reply gang. The big issue was size and weight, and after reading about what some of you do I decided just to go with the higher C rating and figure it out.

They're out of stock on a lot of their batteries, so I went to hobby king and got something similar. I'll let you know how it goes! K

Turnigy nano-tech 850mAh 3S 45~90C Lipo Pack

Duck

Thanks for the reply gang. The big issue was size and weight, and after reading about what some of you do I decided just to go with the higher C rating and figure it out.

They're out of stock on a lot of their batteries, so I went to hobby king and got something similar. I'll let you know how it goes! K

Turnigy nano-tech 850mAh 3S 45~90C Lipo Pack

Should work great. Im using the a Tattu 850mah 75C which is comparable. I have a few of the original batteries FT recommended at the time. I stopped using them just because they tend to droop even under small loads and give shorter flights. At 2-3 years old, with occasional minor overdischarge, storage fully charge and lots of flights this is expected. They are completely flyable though. The tiny trainer is not the best flying thing in the world but it is very forgiving. Good luck.

xunedeinx

The 850mah 3s turnigy 40c batteries I have work great on the 2205 2600kv and 2306 2200kv w 6045bn props. I switched to the 18650 2150mah 2s1p packs I made though. Not as fast, but time flies when your cruising around. Longest combined time on one of those was about 18min ending with 7.3v and when charged it put in 1100mah, so still had some juice left in it. Just an idea. The cells I have sre Sanyo and rated for 12a continous. I only reach 14a at 100%, and I rarely stay at 100 longer than taking off.