Tiny trainer derivative

mayan

Legendary member
@Hai-Lee @flyboa - thanks for the replies - what you both say makes perfect sense.

I could see in my video the launch was bad and I’m confident the C/G was off - the tail was probably damaged in one of the launches.

The good news is I’m not giving up just yet!
I’d try to tow it up to height kind of what Bixler did with David and his huge glider.

bracesport

Legendary member
Flies ok on a hand launch.

4.png

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa @Hai-Lee @mayan - last night I rebuilt the tail and redistributed the electronics for a better C/G but I forgot to check the servo mount which was also dislodged - this afternoon I tidied it all up ready for the next chance to launch.

Other than the DLG launch I am keen to find a slope sight to see what might be possible!

in the meantime, I tried the powered TT with ailerons but got some servo jitter that killed the flights - I am thinking there might have been interference with the ESC and motor wires to close to the RX, or maybe my Tx battery was getting low - all in all the weekend did not pan out the way I imagined!

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Other than the DLG launch I am keen to find a slope sight to see what might be possible!
That I think would be a great idea though not sure how a v tail setup works with slope soaring. There is a thread that has some great footage of SS I know you’ve seen it. It might be good ask there for tips on SS with v tail type air craft.

And I too still owe a SS attempt it’s on my todo list which is super long by now :).

bracesport

Legendary member
@Hai-Lee - Sorry to bother you - how much likelihood is there in getting servo jitter from excessive and overlapping wires inside the fuse - where in your opinion are the dos and don'ts?

bracesport

Legendary member
My symptoms were that the control surfaces were smooth and then with the elevator at full movement the ailerons and elevator both spasmed - I reduced the endpoints of the servos and I thought the spasms were gone, but in the air during a controlled straight flight they spasmed and I lost control. I am embarrassed to post the clip below, but you can see the erratic upward motion followed by severe downward motion in this clip captured by my 5yr old! it was the same result on several attempts before I packed up and went home!

Reading about the servo jitters it does seem logical to start with a process of elimination - swapping servo wires to see if the jitters follow the servos etc - looking to eliminate power wires crossing signal wires - checking servo connections - checking for striped servos

I'll start with that and report back!

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yes overlapping servo wires can cause issues. Wrapping single wires to make them neat is not a huge issue but can create noise on itself.

Wrapping all your servo signal wires together create an inductive mess specially when pumping current thru them all at the same time.

I have fried several servos on a video project where I neatly bundled all the wires on top of each other. The servos would randomly spaz out. Shoot past full deflection, lock and never work again.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Hai-Lee - apart from my launch technique I was thinking after your technical comments on the DL(TT)G structure that I could consider some more tail authority - how about this for some out of the box thinking?

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 4.14.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 4.14.48 PM.png

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
That would help but could possibly be ripped off during a landing.

You might have a better response with a long and shallow spine/ridge/strake from the rear of the fuselage forwards to where the fuselage starts to taper upwards. This would increase sideways area without adding too much to drag.

I could do a rough drawing of what I mean if the meaning is unclear!

have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Hai-Lee - Sorry to bother you - how much likelihood is there in getting servo jitter from excessive and overlapping wires inside the fuse - where in your opinion are the dos and don'ts?
There are a few causes of servo jitter ranging from a Tx gimbal issue through to a servo actually being loaded slightly by the control surface when in the neural position.

Disconnect the pushrod and see if the problem remains or disappears. If it disappears then your control surface or pushrod are binding somewhere and you need to make sure it is all free and moves without any real force or effort.

If the jitter remains then you may need to try the servo in another Rx port. If the jitter disappears in another channel your Tx gimbal may be a little dirty or have a bit of a similar problem.

If it still jitters when unloaded and in a different Rx port then the issue is in the servo itself and replacement is the quickest fix.

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
I have a similar issue with the Mini Edge and the rudder servo will post a video of it later so you can advise.

bracesport

Legendary member
Ok, I think the elevator channel is causing the flutter of the elevator and the ailerons - no load on ch2 servo still has flutter - swapping servos from ch1 and ch2 still has flutter - dropped the rates on cg 1 and ch2 still has flutter - no ch2 servo gives no aileron flutter - seems ch1 and ch5 are fine on there own.

Either the Tx pot or Rx ch2 or actual servo is the issue - flutter continues without motor connected to ESC.

I’ll try a new elevator servo next.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Ok, I think the elevator channel is causing the flutter of the elevator and the ailerons - no load on ch2 servo still has flutter - swapping servos from ch1 and ch2 still has flutter - dropped the rates on cg 1 and ch2 still has flutter - no ch2 servo gives no aileron flutter - seems ch1 and ch5 are fine on there own.

Either the Tx pot or Rx ch2 or actual servo is the issue - flutter continues without motor connected to ESC.

I’ll try a new elevator servo next.
Sounds like you are on the trail to a permanent solution!

have fun!

bracesport

Legendary member
@Hai-Lee - tentatively I think the elevator servo is bung in some way - I swapped the servo to the elevator of my trainer and there was no more flutter - I really appreciate your input!

it is strange that the elevator servo could be affecting the ailerons - will investigate more - tomorrows a new day!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Hai-Lee - tentatively I think the elevator servo is bung in some way - I swapped the servo to the elevator of my trainer and there was no more flutter - I really appreciate your input!

it is strange that the elevator servo could be affecting the ailerons - will investigate more - tomorrows a new day!
It could be something as simple as when the faulty servo tried to drive its motor it dragged the voltage rail down slightly. This drop was coupled to the other servos where the position feedback potentiometer is tied between the voltage rail and ground. Hence the voltage drop could be coupled to the position determining part of the servo circuitry. The change in feedback voltage would cause the servo to drive to the new position. and when the faulty servo stopped the driving the rail would rise and the other servos would return to their previous position, and so on adinfinitum!

The cause of the voltage drop, (or it could have been a voltage spike increasing the rail, may be difficult to trace as it could be high resistance anywhere is the voltage line OR as mentioned it could be that the faulty servo was generating some spikes or other surges in the supply voltage.

If changing the servo fixes it quarantine the servo and use it as parts in the future!

have fun!

daxian

Elite member
a thought ...does you esc/bec have enough juice for the amount of servo's ? for 4 servo's i use a 3 amp bec...