Tiny trainer derivative

bracesport

Legendary member
The servos for the ailerons will be in the wing and I’ll put the elevator servo in the tail. Should make is ok for the ESC, battery, and Rx up front or slightly under the wing for CG.

I made the nose plenty wide and tall enough based on my 1.2m nube trainer which was a bit tight but fitted with the hatch cover removed!

bracesport

Legendary member
A bit of progress today working on the aileron version.

The motor is in and given my rig has the motor hanging out in the breeze I shortened the front of the fuse 25mm to allow for that - I have my standard folding slow prop (11x6) on the 1100Kv BLDC. The proportions of the TT are very nice and most of the research I have done suggests the TT is generally 'nose' heavy so trimming the fuse length was a must.

The main wing has polyhedral (centre and wing tips) and also ailerons so I pushed the tips out further than the standard TT wing shown in the background to give me some decent size for the ailerons. Ailerons have interwoven taped hinges and then I put some more packing tape over the fibreglass tape to hide them a bit more! No rudder so this one is the bank and yank.

Time to think about the control surfaces and CG - I'll be using a 1300mAh 2cel so probably that will be under the wing in the fuse.

IMG_5553.JPG
IMG_5555.JPG
IMG_5556.JPG
IMG_5549.JPG

daxian

Elite member
i did similar thing with my simple soarer derivitive....but left out the center dihedral (so i could add ailerons later) never got around to doing that....it flys so perfect in its present form ...looking a bit tatty now though ,maybe time for a new wing !!!

Attachments

• soarer.JPG
    soarer.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • soarer2.JPG
    soarer2.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

bracesport

Legendary member
They look so similar - is the wing of the soarer 1.2m or 1.4m? It's my brother in laws birthday this weekend, so I will give him his plane! Hopefully, we can get them in the air soon after that!

daxian

Elite member
old wing is one meter...just started the new and going with 1.2 m....and prepping for ailerons (mapping them in ,but not installing) test without first, then add in later ....

bracesport

Legendary member
I put in the elevator servo and cut the hatch for the battery last night, and tonight I'll try and get the ailerons sorted. It will be a bit tight as the wing is only 15mm thick so the servos will certainly hang out a bit in the breeze!

@daxian - I see you have an i6? I have an i6s and found that you can not master it for trainer mode. Do you think if an i6 was in master trainer mode I could use the i6s as the slave (my brother in law has an i6X)?

daxian

Elite member
it is possible,with the right cable...but i have never tried ,so don't take my word for it !
must update my profile too ...used the i6 for 3 years ,but now have a qx7!!
as i recall the i6s was more for quads than fixed wing ,(not the same mixes or something)...give it a try ,nothing to lose by trying .

bracesport

Legendary member
@daxian - I will give it a go nothing ventured!

Your right the i6s is for quads, but it does have 4 mix options which are enough to get in the air and it's cute enough not to frighten my son to give it all a go!

I run a JR X378 (old school)!

Unknown.jpeg x378.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
this morning I managed to get the aileron mounted and the control rods assembled in the wing for a dry fit of the electronics and a CG test.

@daxian - Seems to me it's all going to work well as long as the battery is under the front of the wing. Next step is to rationalise the wire lengths as there was a bit of a tangle. Other than reversing the ailerons servos, I think we are good to go!

Last edited:

daxian

Elite member
looking good my friend ...excellent job !!!
wires can be a pain ...some of mine look like spagettti at times !!
looking forward to the maiden video....

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Time to think about the control surfaces and CG - I'll be using a 1300mAh 2cel so probably that will be under the wing in the fuse.

Beautiful airplanes.

For this size, a 1300 is a bit big. If you want an actual glider, cut the capacity back into the 750-800 mah range. A 3s 700 would be particularly fun.

Remember, on a glider, there are two power settings: WOT and off. You should be either climbing or gliding. If you're looking to putter around, build a traditional model like a Telemaster--it'll be more fun because it's designed for that flight profile. Gliders are designed for energy management, and they excel in that usage. They don't excel at cruising around.

I'd also add that weight, being the enemy of performance, you'd do well to consider getting a lighter motor eventually. The FT 2207-1750s pack more punch than what you've got and weigh less. On a 2s 750 you'd have almost unlimited vertical climb, and probably 30 minutes of dead air flight time.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
@FAI-F1D - great advice, I certainly need some more gear soon!

By the way, I just saw in one of your articles that you've got a 1.5m F5D/B airframe. If you decide at some point you want to unload that I might be interested. Or, if you're coming to Flite Fest Ohio this year, I might could help you get it set up.

bracesport

Legendary member
@FAI-F1D - I am happy to let that airframe go - bit out of my league! It’s in pretty good condition I bought it second hand when I saw one fly - what a noise it makes when firing overhead at speed! Do you realise I’m in New Zealand? 😆 How about we trade for something? Got any DLGs laying around?

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
Too windy this weekend! So I made the third fuse for the V tail version.

Can I run 5g servos in the TT?

I can’t get flyboa’s DLGs out of my mind so I can already feel what I’m going to build after this one!

364F9A2D-2B20-42F5-ACB6-DFF2A9202BF1.jpeg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Actually I prefer to use 3.7 gram servos from HK in my TT builds. I have broken many different servos in TTs in the past but since I started using the 3.7 gram I have not damaged a single servo. Perhaps the motor power is not enough to resist a control surface pushing it the wrong way in a crash and therefore saved the gears from breaking.

On the recent SpiTTT test build I did with mayan I used the smaller servos and it flew quite well and handled the increased speed and loads easily. You just need to make sure that the control surfaces move freely.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

bracesport

Legendary member
@Hai-Lee - my local supplier looks to have 5g in stock so I'll start there for the next build and work my way down next time!

@flyboa - so, I was thinking for my V tail TT, I would thin the wing to 12mm and have a crack at your DLG style wing construction - it will be 1000mm wingspan - do you think it will work on the TT fuse?

flyboa

Elite member
It should work fine. What brand of foam board are you using? My Adams foam board is only 5mm thick and yours is a little bit thicker.