Tiny Trainer FPV! Need advice...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
So, I got this super mini camera setup. Total weight with battery is 10grams. Any advice on how to mount it? In the pic is about where I think it should go to not affect CG. I got it all same day delivery on Amazon, amazing!

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

Last edited:

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
I would glue the Vtx and cam to a servo-then glue that the the fuse just in front of the wing. That way you get pan in with it to!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Im trying to keep it super light. Plus I dont have any extra channels. This will be my FPV trainer.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Then I would put 2 small square bits of foam where you wanted to mount it to get the cam a bit higher and then break out the hot glue!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
So you ask a bunch of Flite Test fans what you should use to mount something to your plane . . . Just going to hit the obvious here: Hot glue.

Alternatively (yeah, for that, you probably want alternatives) medium-large Zip-tie around the lens, then embed the tail of the ziptie in the foam. drop of hot glue to keep it from rotating in the mount, and perhaps a bit of bracing with a skewer or popscicle stick.

Alternitively, alternitively . . . cut a notch in your leading edge about 1/3 the way out from the fuse, just a bit narrower than the camera, about half the depth of the lens. slip the camera's 1s battery into the wing, set the channel, then slide the camera into the notch. If you want something non-hot-glue to secure it to the plane, punch a small hole all the way through the wing behind it. Slide a rubber band through the hole (man, those things are handy) wrap one end around the lens from the bottom, wrap the other end around the lens from the top. if your hole is a little over half the length of the band back form the end of the notch, the band should pull from both sides and press the camera back into the notch. Flying off the wing is an . . . interesting angle to fly from, but so long as you're not too close to the fuse, it works just fine.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I was worried about adding weight to the nose as I'm fighting that right now, so camera on wing would be cg neutral. Would hot glue hurt the camera as there is no case around it??

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
You guys just gave me an idea. I could mount the camera and battery on a small piece of foam, then put it under the wing rubber bands. That way its removable and I dont change the airframe at all! Thanks! Picture to come.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I wouldn't soak it in, but a little around the edges should be fine. The glue alone shouldn't damage anything, but it may hold on to components on the boards and pull them off when you try to remove the glue. Just enough to keep it from moving around should work without grabbing onto anything fragile.

I'd use the rubber band, personally, but your build, your call.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yes rubber band is better, that way the camera can move to different applications easier. I got the camera for 28$ on Amazon and it has three power settings, 25, 50, and 200. We will see how it works.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Tiny Trainer FPV pod!

I finished my FPV pod for the TT and it looks like it will work great. It weighs in at 12grams total with battery. I have the Dominator V3 goggles so it is a little fish eye due to the 16:9 ratio, but I am happy how it looks so far. It will be my first FPV as I was afraid to FPV my Tundra on floats until I have some experience first. The pod simply locks down with the wing rubber bands, I used a tiny bit of hot glue to glue a foam pad under the lense for extra support and used zip ties to secure the camera, the battery is secured using velcro that came with it. It seems really solid and I am wondering if I could use this on the Storch too. I have no energy left to check tonight.

You can see in this pic the zip tie lock is under the foam board so the camera wont face down under the rubber band stress.
IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2636.JPG

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Looks good from the outside. How's it look from behind the goggles?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I will get some dvr footage and post it here so you can see. Looks kinda fisheye, but I think it will work once I get used to it, Very clear though. Crazy thing, at 12 grams, it's lighter than my keycob cameras at 19 grams!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
FPV DVR Camera Test video

Here is the long awaited test video shot with the micro camera FPV pod and DVR in my Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles. I actually narrated this video.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Lovin' that intro man!

FPV is a total blast. You are gonna dig it. Having that cam be so portable is gonna be cool when you try another plane too. :)