Tiny Trainer - Long Range Capable?

BayDesigns

I'm curious what the Tiny Trainer's endurance is on various battery sizes- I'd really like to be able to do a bit of long range flying here or there, even if it's just half a mile or a mile- I'm not planning on 30-minute missions, but just getting out and exploring what's around me instead of hanging around a field.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I'm curious what the Tiny Trainer's endurance is on various battery sizes- I'd really like to be able to do a bit of long range flying here or there, even if it's just half a mile or a mile- I'm not planning on 30-minute missions, but just getting out and exploring what's around me instead of hanging around a field.
Put a smaller esc and motor on there and have the same size battery and you'll be able to go for a fairly good time. If you still want power then just get a battery 1500+ mah with the same motor you have now and then you could go for a while. Also you will want to check your receiver strength. Don't want a fly away!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
we get 5ish minutes on a 3s 650mAh lipo, but conservative flying might get you more (I have the timer set fairly conservative as I don't have battery voltage monitoring on them - I have another craft with the same motor/batter/prop which I get 8 minutes on). Where I would look at, is to see if on 2s you would have low enough power draw to run a 2s 3000mAh li-ion pack, which would get you ~4-5x the battery life I was getting on my lipo... which means 20-25 minutes... (maybe a touch more).

Based on the flight times I get on the 3s, it looks like my expected average draw would be around 4.5A (A pack w/ 6x3 prop).

I would bench test as the 'high drain' li-ions are rated for around 10A, but based on above, your likely ok

70% of the 3Ah of the li-ion gives this at 5A -> 2.1 Ah / 5A = 0.42h => ~25 minutes.

however you have 2 other issues:
  • radio link (Rotor riot did a very non-scientific test and standard 2.4GHz links were getting around 2k feet or 3/8 mile - this was near the ground and on a quad, so I suspect in the air you will get better)
  • LOS rules in many countries. (at the air field I fly at, the 'edges' are around 600ft from the flight line and I wouldn't go much farther then then that with my TT for orientation stuff - given how distance works, maybe 2x that, but at some point, which I would expect well before 1/2 mile to not be able to qualify this)

BayDesigns

Radio link is definitely a good point, both in that it’s going to be short, and that it’s likely to be better at altitude. The line of sight rules are another obstacle, but after watching a good number of long range FPV videos on YouTube, I’m definitely going to have to look at them more closely to see if it’s somehow possible to fly beyond LOS. I’m not concerned with orientation so much, as I’m planning on sticking FPV gear on this aircraft.

JasonK

Radio link is definitely a good point, both in that it’s going to be short, and that it’s likely to be better at altitude. The line of sight rules are another obstacle, but after watching a good number of long range FPV videos on YouTube, I’m definitely going to have to look at them more closely to see if it’s somehow possible to fly beyond LOS. I’m not concerned with orientation so much, as I’m planning on sticking FPV gear on this aircraft.
various 'beyond LOS' YouTube videos fall under one of the following:
  • before rules changes
  • somewhere that doesn't have those rules
  • part 107 + exception from FAA
  • breaking the rules

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I'd really like to be able to do a bit of long range flying here or there, even if it's just half a mile or a mile- I'm not planning on 30-minute missions
The TT should easily be able to go out a mile and back.

JasonK

the flight range doesn't appear to be a problem... I am fairly sure I put in 2+ miles of flight distance in my 5 minutes of flight time on a TT (5+ loops around the airfield in the 5 minutes I fly it, is fairly likely). 2 miles in 6 minutes is only 20 mph.