Tiny Trainer Mod ?'s

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone experimented with there Tiny Trainer ? Has anyone added a landing gear ? Or how about a STOL style wing ? I am thinking a STOL style wing could add more fun to the plane with out having to build a new plane. If someone would do a STOL style wing, what would the size of the wing have to be ? It could be fun to have a third option for the plane.

What do you guys think ?
Al

alan0043

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
The TT's wing is already fairly big, if you wanted to put landing gear and STOL it, I would do the following -> use the 4 channel acrobatic wing, but split the alerons into alerons and flaps (and probably push the aierons to the tips) and put a more powerful motor on it (and move stuff around for the CG changes that would create).

I had setup one of my TTs with flaperons and with only 10-20deg down tilt and an Power Pack A motor, it already could fly rather slowly.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

The first mod I did to the plane was to add landing gear. I went with the simple Flite Test design were you use two bbq sticks attached to the fuselage. Then the landing gear wire is held in place with a rubber band around the bbq sticks. Now I think I am ready for takeoff on a runway. The stol wing will come later. I need to practice and learning takeoff and landing first. Then I can think about a stol wing. Maybe by that time I can find a plan for the stol wing.

Always open to input,
Al

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hi Everyone,

The first mod I did to the plane was to add landing gear. I went with the simple Flite Test design were you use two bbq sticks attached to the fuselage. Then the landing gear wire is held in place with a rubber band around the bbq sticks. Now I think I am ready for takeoff on a runway. The stol wing will come later. I need to practice and learning takeoff and landing first. Then I can think about a stol wing. Maybe by that time I can find a plan for the stol wing.

Always open to input,
Al
If you want a wing with ailerons and flaps for STOL work then the wing from the MUTTS would fit the bill. It can even easily be made of increased span if required. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/my-mutts.57768/
If you want short take off and landing without ailerons or flaps then you could try the large span slow wing https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/building-hai-lees-tiny-trainer-slow-wing.33350/

Have fun!

alan0043

If you want a wing with ailerons and flaps for STOL work then the wing from the MUTTS would fit the bill. It can even easily be made of increased span if required. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/my-mutts.57768/
If you want short take off and landing without ailerons or flaps then you could try the large span slow wing https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/building-hai-lees-tiny-trainer-slow-wing.33350/

Have fun!

Thank you Hai-Lee for the help.

alan0043

Have fun!

Hi Hai-Lee,

Thank you for posting the links to the threads. Your Mutt plane is a really cool looking plane. I looked over the plans for the Mutt and that brings me to a question or too for you. I don't trust my printer at times. What is the length and the width of the Mutt wing ? Is the bottom of the wing flat ? What is the width of the ailerons and flaps ? Those number will be a big help to me. I'll print out the wing plan and see if the print and the actual wing dimensions work out the same.

Thank you again for your help,
Al

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hi Hai-Lee,

Thank you for posting the links to the threads. Your Mutt plane is a really cool looking plane. I looked over the plans for the Mutt and that brings me to a question or too for you. I don't trust my printer at times. What is the length and the width of the Mutt wing ? Is the bottom of the wing flat ? What is the width of the ailerons and flaps ? Those number will be a big help to me. I'll print out the wing plan and see if the print and the actual wing dimensions work out the same.

Thank you again for your help,
Al
Ok the original plans are in my archive and they could take a while to locate so these measurements are taken from the original wing. Yes it still flies in its original condition. Lucky for me the planes do not crash that often but then I tend to have a lot of builds that I have to eventually need to give away for others to crash.
These dimensions are taken from the original build wing, (The plans posted were for this wing).
Underwing panel span, (each side from wing join line) 380mm
Underwing panel cord. 138mm
Wing cord Max 180mm
Wing Span Max, (each wing - Multiply by 2 for total wing span) 496mm
Aileron and flap cord 40mm
Aileron Span (LE or TE - Note outline angled) 250mm
Flap Span (LE or TE - Note outline angled) 200mm

Yes the wing is flat bottomed and constant cord
The TE Scalloping is not required as it flies equally well without them

I hope that helps!

have fun!

alan0043

Ok the original plans are in my archive and they could take a while to locate so these measurements are taken from the original wing. Yes it still flies in its original condition. Lucky for me the planes do not crash that often but then I tend to have a lot of builds that I have to eventually need to give away for others to crash.
These dimensions are taken from the original build wing, (The plans posted were for this wing).
Underwing panel span, (each side from wing join line) 380mm
Underwing panel cord. 138mm
Wing cord Max 180mm
Wing Span Max, (each wing - Multiply by 2 for total wing span) 496mm
Aileron and flap cord 40mm
Aileron Span (LE or TE - Note outline angled) 250mm
Flap Span (LE or TE - Note outline angled) 200mm

Yes the wing is flat bottomed and constant cord
The TE Scalloping is not required as it flies equally well without them

I hope that helps!

have fun!

Hi Hai-Lee

Thank you again for your help. I was able to print out the wing plans. My printer was kind to me today. lol. With the dimension I should be all set to build a wing. It could be a little while before I get a change to build the Mutt wing. But now I have a good start to a new wing.

Thank you again,
Al

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hi Hai-Lee

Thank you again for your help. I was able to print out the wing plans. My printer was kind to me today. lol. With the dimension I should be all set to build a wing. It could be a little while before I get a change to build the Mutt wing. But now I have a good start to a new wing.

Thank you again,
Al
The MUTTS is designed to use any of the original TT wings or the MUTTS wing depending on how I feel or what I want to do.

Just a thought often missed!

Have fun!

alan0043

The MUTTS is designed to use any of the original TT wings or the MUTTS wing depending on how I feel or what I want to do.

Just a thought often missed!

Have fun!

Hi Hai-Lee,

I have 2 TT already built. I was hoping the Mutt wing will work on a stock TT. Thank you again for your help.

rickp

Alan,

I've built a symmetrical wing with flaps that might be STOL enough for you.
The details are in my blog, and I've attached a few pictures below.
It flies well, and likes inverted as much as right-side-up.

Additionally, I use the ailerons as spoilers, giving me crow braking when the flaps are deployed.
Great fun!

Cheers, rick TT blog

Attachments

• 20200625_160633.jpg
    20200625_160633.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200625_160644.jpg
    20200625_160644.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

FrankFly

Alan,

I've built a symmetrical wing with flaps that might be STOL enough for you.
The details are in my blog, and I've attached a few pictures below.
It flies well, and likes inverted as much as right-side-up.

Additionally, I use the ailerons as spoilers, giving me crow braking when the flaps are deployed.
Great fun!

Cheers, rick TT blog
I know I've seen this paint scheme before.