Tiny Trainer on Steroids!

mayan

Legendary member
Watching all these big projects that FT is always working on has made me want to do a big project myself. I originally planned to do this project during summer vacation with my kids but considering that the schools here are closed and we are all locked down at home because of the CoronaVirus, I decided to do this build now and make it our quarantine build. The plans have already been tiled and waiting for the summer to arrive, so all I really had to do is pull them out and start attaching them to FB. Excluding the glider wing set I managed to tightly fit all the pieces onto 3.5 sheets of 100x70 cm FB.

While taping the plans to FB I realised that the fuselage would not fit onto one sheet of foam no matter how I rotated it. Alright so I have to tile the fuselage during the build, but now I have to decide which part to cut short the tail boom or the front section. I decided to go with the tail boom section because it should have less impacts and thus has less chances of breaking, plus I have done the same with my Spitfire and it worked well.

I was initially going to use 10mm FB to avoid having to adjust the cavities to work with 5mm but after advising with @Hai-Lee and checking the stores stock of 10mm FB, I was left with no options but to use 5mm FB; so the next thing to do was to adjust the cavities. I adjusted the cavities on the required fuselage pieces, plugged in two hot glue guns, just to be sure I have enough hot glue flowing and began to build :).

IMG-0610.jpg

The first thing that I had to do is attach the trimmed fuselage tail boom section to the main fuselage section, with some tape and hot glue. Folding the rest of the fuselage was pretty easy, and seems pretty solid without any re-enforcement done to it; unlike what I have been warned from. I did have a few mistakes done to the tail boom cutting the slots a little too big so I cut out some pieces of foam to fix the mistake. I also forgot to put in the push rod supporters before closing up the fuselage, something that on the original TT would have been an issue; luckily here I had enough room to put my hand inside to glue the push rod supporters in place.

IMG-0611.jpg

IMG-0612.jpg

IMG-0614.jpg

Next I started building the nose section, which I totally messed up with. Although I have been warned I didn’t properly think things through. First I forgot that the sides of the nose should be 10mm so when attaching it to the fuselage I had a 5mm gap between the sides of the nose section and the fuselage, I fixed this by cutting the extra nose side plate sections and glued them in place. Next I forgot that the doublers are also 10mm and that with the sides that should also be 10mm I am looking at 20mm, now considering my sides are 5mm I was short by 15mm of FB. I didn’t think it through all the way and found myself cutting the missing doublers a few times, each time messing up something else, until I eventually got it figured out :).

This is the nose section without the added side plates and doublers.
IMG-0618.jpg

On to the wing. Usually this is something that I tackle first on most builds, but here since I had to think of how to re-enforce it I left it for later. Also here I made a few mistakes, the first being the spar height which I left the same as in the original model 5mm where I should have used 10mm; this obviously gave me a thinner wing profile which would be good for speed and less for lift. The second mistake that I made was that I didn’t add enough re-enforcement to the wing in general, but especially not to the outer 2/3 of the wing. I did reinforce the main wing join with a piece of CF rod that I found laying around. Unfortunately I realised these mistakes only after I have already glued the wing close, but was luckily able to open it back up again using a big kitchen knife. Fixed the mistakes by adding another layer of foam to the spars and also some BBQ skewers in between the 2/3 of the wing to the wing tip for extra re-enforcement and closed the wing back up again.

0f6f22b0-ece2-4040-be77-fdf458c38da8.JPG

IMG-0623.jpg

I went ahead and weighed the bird without electronics or battery before making a few changes and the weight came in at 892g. After weighing it I have made a few changes and also started painting the wings and nose so I assume the bare weight went up by at least another 50-100g. I am also still missing all the electronics which should up the weight by around roughly 400-600g, but I am in no rush to put them in because I can’t fly anyhow and even if I do I want to make sure all my friends come to see the maiden of this big boy :).

4145e203-6aef-4738-89f7-6b68d4980154.JPG

e59e42b2-e1c2-4301-9aa0-7784e16b6b0b.JPG

More about the maiden when the lock down in Israel will be released...

Mr.Grinch

Nice job! I’m looking forward to the videos of you out and flying again soon. I’ve got a 150% TT all drawn out on FB and ready to cut, but I’ve set it aside to try building a 2m+ glider. I wanted something a little more sleek than the simple soarer.

duckduckgoose

Watching all these big projects that FT is always working on has made me want to do a big project myself. I originally planned to do this project during summer vacation with my kids but considering that the schools here are closed and we are all locked down at home because of the CoronaVirus, I decided to do this build now and make it our quarantine build. The plans have already been tiled and waiting for the summer to arrive, so all I really had to do is pull them out and start attaching them to FB. Excluding the glider wing set I managed to tightly fit all the pieces onto 3.5 sheets of 100x70 cm FB.

While taping the plans to FB I realised that the fuselage would not fit onto one sheet of foam no matter how I rotated it. Alright so I have to tile the fuselage during the build, but now I have to decide which part to cut short the tail boom or the front section. I decided to go with the tail boom section because it should have less impacts and thus has less chances of breaking, plus I have done the same with my Spitfire and it worked well.

I was initially going to use 10mm FB to avoid having to adjust the cavities to work with 5mm but after advising with @Hai-Lee and checking the stores stock of 10mm FB, I was left with no options but to use 5mm FB; so the next thing to do was to adjust the cavities. I adjusted the cavities on the required fuselage pieces, plugged in two hot glue guns, just to be sure I have enough hot glue flowing and began to build :).

View attachment 166289

The first thing that I had to do is attach the trimmed fuselage tail boom section to the main fuselage section, with some tape and hot glue. Folding the rest of the fuselage was pretty easy, and seems pretty solid without any re-enforcement done to it; unlike what I have been warned from. I did have a few mistakes done to the tail boom cutting the slots a little too big so I cut out some pieces of foam to fix the mistake. I also forgot to put in the push rod supporters before closing up the fuselage, something that on the original TT would have been an issue; luckily here I had enough room to put my hand inside to glue the push rod supporters in place.

View attachment 166290
View attachment 166291
View attachment 166292

Next I started building the nose section, which I totally messed up with. Although I have been warned I didn’t properly think things through. First I forgot that the sides of the nose should be 10mm so when attaching it to the fuselage I had a 5mm gap between the sides of the nose section and the fuselage, I fixed this by cutting the extra nose side plate sections and glued them in place. Next I forgot that the doublers are also 10mm and that with the sides that should also be 10mm I am looking at 20mm, now considering my sides are 5mm I was short by 15mm of FB. I didn’t think it through all the way and found myself cutting the missing doublers a few times, each time messing up something else, until I eventually got it figured out :).

View attachment 166293

On to the wing. Usually this is something that I tackle first on most builds, but here since I had to think of how to re-enforce it I left it for later. Also here I made a few mistakes, the first being the spar height which I left the same as in the original model 5mm where I should have used 10mm; this obviously gave me a thinner wing profile which would be good for speed and less for lift. The second mistake that I made was that I didn’t add enough re-enforcement to the wing in general, but especially not to the outer 2/3 of the wing. I did reinforce the main wing join with a piece of CF rod that I found laying around. Unfortunately I realised these mistakes only after I have already glued the wing close, but was luckily able to open it back up again using a big kitchen knife. Fixed the mistakes by adding another layer of foam to the spars and also some BBQ skewers in between the 2/3 of the wing to the wing tip for extra re-enforcement and closed the wing back up again.

View attachment 166294
View attachment 166295

I went ahead and weighed the bird without electronics or battery before making a few changes and the weight came in at 892g. After weighing it I have made a few changes and also started painting the wings and nose so I assume the bare weight went up by at least another 50-100g. I am also still missing all the electronics which should up the weight by around roughly 400-600g, but I am in no rush to put them in because I can’t fly anyhow and even if I do I want to make sure all my friends come to see the maiden of this big boy :).

View attachment 166296
View attachment 166297

Yes! Nice to see the Giant TT project going ahead. I'm in the process of converting my old beaten up 150% TT into a seaplane (a possible fly or die scenario) :LOL:.

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member

View attachment 166289

View attachment 166290
View attachment 166291
View attachment 166292

View attachment 166293

View attachment 166294
View attachment 166295

View attachment 166296
View attachment 166297

Sweet, I bet that will fly amazing!(y)

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I hope she flies well too. Have a good/bad feeling that the wings will fold in some place.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
really nice job...I like it
I have similar concern's about a wing Im building that size for a sky hunter type fpv platform, I just ordered some carbon fiber archery arrows to embed in my spars, Ive seen enough FT explorer videos where the wings folded
hope you can make a video!

mayan

Legendary member
really nice job...I like it
I have similar concern's about a wing Im building that size for a sky hunter type fpv platform, I just ordered some carbon fiber archery arrows to embed in my spars, Ive seen enough FT explorer videos where the wings folded
hope you can make a video!
You bet I will make a video!

That is amazing. Look forward to a flight video if you can get one.
I will the moment I can go with a bunch of friends to the field :).

mayan

Legendary member
I think you all deserve an update about this project so here it is. This project is almost done just a few things that are missing and here they are listed bellow.
1) Re-enforce the wing spar with a carbon fiber rod going from one side to the other. Have the carbon fiber rods just haven't mounted them yet.
2) To install all the electronics (motor, servos, esc, Rx).
3) Setup my watt meter and test the prop/motor/esc combo before taking it out and burning something.
4) Get my cojones in place and take it out for a first maiden.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to knock out 1 and 2 off the list :).

mayan

Legendary member
Updat time here :).
1) DONE!
2) Getting this done today!
3) I'll get it done some other time cause I have no need for testing at the moment, I ran the exact same setup as I want to use in this bird yestersday on the Edge 540, this motor (https://he.aliexpress.com/i/32965003376.html) with a 12x6 prop and a 60A ESC and it worked OK.
4) Need to organize an outing but not any outing something big with friends and family, something to remember.

mayan

Legendary member
I should have actually posted this here 🤦🏻‍♂️.

This project is very special to me. It's a scaled up version of the famous Tiny Trainer, the same plane I learned to fly on. This version is 238% bigger than the original and has a wing span about 1.80 meters re-enforced with carbon fiber rods. The plane was built during the 2nd covid19 lock down that we had here in Israel. I planned to fly this right after the lock down was over. Unfortunately it doesn't fit in my car unless the back and front seat beside the driver are down. Considering I wanted my wife to come film the entire thing (she is the best camera man I know) so this all had to wait to the 1st of September, hoping we will not be in lockdown again.

That day was today! Without anything to hold me back (even took a day off for this), I went to the field and had an amazing time even surprising myself. Hope you enjoy this video just as much as I enjoyed the day and making it :).