Tiny Trainer Price

note: the Aura 5 does _not_ work with that receiver, you need a serial receiver to work with the aura.
Oh that's right! Good catch. And let's not mince words: C'mon, you don't want to start with a crutch like a flight controller anyway. In the long run it'll probably make your life harder anyway.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Oh that's right! Good catch. And let's not mince words: C'mon, you don't want to start with a crutch like a flight controller anyway. In the long run it'll probably make your life harder anyway.
well, the TT is fairly stable anyways, so it doesn't really need stabilization anyways... at least if your flying in calm weather... which you should be doing until you get some skills with flying.

well, the TT is fairly stable anyways, so it doesn't really need stabilization anyways... at least if your flying in calm weather... which you should be doing until you get some skills with flying.
Yup. It's training wheels. You can pedal around all you want, but sooner or later you're gonna need to learn how to ride a bike. Fall a couple times and then you'll get it. Once you get it it's easy. (Unless you're stupid like me and always fly too close to the ground and always all over the place with loops and rolls and stuff before I'm ready.)

Chillmonge

so I should ditch the aura 5, and add a TX/RX (could you add a link to a site where I could buy it), and find a compatible receiver (please also provide a link)

JasonK

so I should ditch the aura 5, and add a TX/RX (could you add a link to a site where I could buy it), and find a compatible receiver (please also provide a link)

Yah, the Tiny Trainer doesn't need stabalization, it requires setup, and I have seen reports of learning with a flight stabilizer (at least in angle mode) has caused people to rely on it and not fully learn how to fly.

TX is the transmitter, RX is the receiver, I have one example that is a good starting TX + RX bundle linked in my signature - it is also 6 channel, which to my knowledge should cover most/all the the FT planes. (for the money, I don't see a more feature rich TX... but if you want to go up a bit higher, there are some nice OpenTX based TX systems in the $100-175 range)

tesseract

Master member
I'd say yeah, ditch the gyro, get a Spektrum Tx if you want to use the Spektrum Rx. I think you should use JasonK's Flysky FS-i6X which comes with a receiver, it looks more versatile than mine, and there's only about $30 difference.
61YKTG2bdsL._AC_SX569_.jpg
tacj2403.jpg

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I've been recommended the tiny trainer for my first plane. People are saying it's inexpensive, but when I look on the flight test store, it's about $320 for the kit, electronics, controller, and glue gun. Is there a cheaper way to make and fly the plane?

Thanks
they still sell the value bundle which will make it alot cheaper on the ft stem store.

Piotrsko

Master member
You can go BANGOOD for all the electrical parts, but being a newbie you'll probably get the wrong stuff because it's cheaper. The advantage to FT is all you need to do is basically assemble what they give you using the 35 8 x10 color glossies with circle and arrows, and 24 paragraphs on the back.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
61Ry8ahTfTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

here's a pic if you want. It's good for small-medium hands like mine.
Also if you'd prefer to skip the Speed Build kit, you can get Ross foam board from amazon, and a craft knife. that way you can save money and foam.

These are "ok". I personally don't like these mini glue guns because I always run out of glue when I'm trying to do a LONG run of glue for things like the wings and spars - for example, doing the Versa Wing, I can go through 1/2 a glue stick gluing the front edge, back edge, AND the spar together on a full size glue gun. These mini stick guns leave me pushing a full stick through, and that's if it's brand new, having just loaded it in. If I'm halfway through a stick, I'll run out and do a panic moment trying to load a stick in while the glue is cooling, and losing its adherence.

I've had an Adtech 80, which I bought at Jo-Ann Fabrics on a 60% off coupon; they were better due to the size of the glue gun and the full size glue sticks, and they came with interchangeable tips for narrow or fan application of glue. Truthfully, I never changed out the tips on the gun once I'd had the regular tip screwed on, but the option was there. I didn't like it as much as the one I'm going to recommend, though, because the trigger on it felt flimsy and I felt like i had to do a bunch of pulls on it to get glue to come out.

4 years ago, I bought this:

1622160371945.png

Dewalt's Ceramic glue gun. This thing has been my workhorse. I have built over 400 chuck gliders and probably 30-40 different FT planes with it, and it works just as well as the first day I bought it. Cost me $30, and I think it was one of the best purchases I've made for this hobby. Comes in a little cheaper than the Adtech 200, and I've gotten so many comments on how it's a "serious" glue gun by the crafters and Makers who have seen me use it (and really, it IS a serious glue gun).

Now, getting on to the plane - if you want to buy the starter package, it's actually not a bad deal, especially if you:

1) Do not have a transmitter, glue gun, charger, or tools
2) Don't know what to buy that will work.

That was the initial purpose of FliteTest coming out with these speed build kits and power packs; it keeps things simple, and if you buy the recommended power pack for your plane, you are getting electronics that WILL work with the plane you're building. They also stand behind their products; if you buy a power pack and a servo's bad, or the motor or ESC is bad out of the package, they'll generally replace it without an issue. Buying from Amazon or Banggood, you may be buying lower quality goods, or have to wait months before you get all of the parts you need (especially right now, with an electronics shortage going on due to COVID and items out of China and Hong Kong being stopped from shipping).

If you just want cheap, you can certainly find stuff for cheaper than what most people are recommending here for electronics. But, you take a risk on the electronics not working or not being able to do what you want. I bought some CHEAP servos from Amazon at $13, and half of them had brownouts as soon as I plugged them in to a receiver. No matter what receiver, what ESC, 5 out of the 10 servos I got had problems. If I'd spent $3 more for the name brand servos that gave the same quantity of servos, I would have ended up with servos that worked. But I had to try and go cheap...Cheaper isn't always better.

alan0043

The receiver is a good start if you're getting a Spektrum transmitter. Others here might suggest something else. (And might have very good suggestions.)
Personally I would say you don't need to get into the Aura5 yet. Most of us learn to fly on our own without any flight controller/stabilizer, and setting it up might be just as hard as just learning to fly.

Hi Everyone,

I have a few thoughts about the tiny trainer. I have built a scratch built tt myself. I down loaded the plans and made templates. By having templates you can remake the parts of the plane if you crash or they get damaged. Getting Adams Readi- foam board from the Dollar Tree for a $1 per sheet. I covered my foam board with package tape to protect for foam board. By getting the Power Pack A from Flite test you have quality parts and some tools to get started.

Now for the Aura 5. I was at Edgewater last night with my tt. I am lucky that Edgewater is so close to my house. My tt is a 3 channel plane. Josh helped me with buddy boxing the plane so I could get up and fly. I am a rookie or newbe when is comes to rc. I was asking Josh a few questions about the Aura 5. He told me that the Aura 5 works much better with a 4 channel plane vs a 3 channel plane.

Last edited:

Flyingshark

Master member
Hi Everyone,

I have a few thoughts about the tiny trainer. I have built a scratch built tt myself. I down loaded the plans and made templates. By having templates you can remake the parts of the plane if you crash or they get damaged. Getting Adams Readi- foam board from the Dollar Tree for a $1 per sheet. I covered my foam board with package tape to protect for foam board. By getting the Power Pack C from Flite test you have quality parts and some tools to get started.

Now for the Aura 5. I was at Edgewater last night with my tt. I am lucky that Edgewater is so close to my house. My tt is a 3 channel plane. Josh helped me with buddy boxing the plane so I could get up and fly. I am a rookie or newbe when is comes to rc. I was asking Josh a few questions about the Aura 5. He told me that the Aura 5 works much better with a 4 channel plane vs a 3 channel plane.
Interesting, I would have thought the Power Pack C was way too big for a Tiny Trainer. Do you maybe mean the A pack?

AussieBison

I'd say yeah, ditch the gyro, get a Spektrum Tx if you want to use the Spektrum Rx. I think you should use JasonK's Flysky FS-i6X which comes with a receiver, it looks more versatile than mine, and there's only about $30 difference.
61YKTG2bdsL._AC_SX569_.jpg
tacj2403.jpg
I would highly recommend this having used it myself.
In fact, I would recommend older 6 CH variant of this (FlySky FS i6)- should be cheaper, and you could upgrade firmware to support 14 CH, and also supports timer etc.

The best part is RXs - 10$ each (from aliexpress), and if you get x6b - it supports LiPo voltage telemetry!! (X6b is probably more suitable for drones, but I have been using it for a few months for my mustang without any issues.. If you intend to use servos over 9G, I would recommend iA6b - no telemetry on that one unfortunately)
...and these RXs supposedly work fine with radiomaster too! if you ever upgrade in future.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I would highly recommend this having used it myself.
In fact, I would recommend older 6 CH variant of this (FlySky FS i6)- should be cheaper, and you could upgrade firmware to support 14 CH, and also supports timer etc.

The best part is RXs - 10$ each (from aliexpress), and if you get x6b - it supports LiPo voltage telemetry!! (X6b is probably more suitable for drones, but I have been using it for a few months for my mustang without any issues.. If you intend to use servos over 9G, I would recommend iA6b - no telemetry on that one unfortunately)
...and these RXs supposedly work fine with radiomaster too! if you ever upgrade in future.
the old one costs 2 dollars cheaper. not a big difference. I have the newer one and iis so cofortable and works amazing. plus rcwithadam has a lot of good tutorials for it

AussieBison

the old one costs 2 dollars cheaper. not a big difference. I have the newer one and iis so cofortable and works amazing. plus rcwithadam has a lot of good tutorials for it

Yeah, his videos are so helpful. I did the same thing. As an intermediate pilot, I got 0 complaints for FlySky - Yes, it has limited features (limited mixes, no servo slow / delay function etc.), but I don't really need those just yet. And it does have 3 mixes (enough for rudder / aileron / elev mix), and one 3 pos switch (perfect for flaps), few 2 pos switch (enough for landing gears - it would just mean a quick transition, instead of smooth - but that's no big deal).

and yep, the difference isn't huge.. I meant if i6 is available for less $ (used etc.), no reason not to.

AussieBison

I am elite and my son uses one. had I had the ability to go back in time, I would have got them it instead of my spektrum stuff.

I don't have any experience with anything other than FlySky (yet), but people reckon spektrum is easy to use and has most of the high-end features. But they're expensive, aren't they?
I have seen a few people ditching spektrum for radiomaster, and not regretting the move. Makes me think it would have to be radiomaster if / when I upgrade.

ATM I have two flysky radios - i6 (with custom 14 channel firmware), and stock i6X. TBH, I haven't even touched the i6X after upgrading i6 firmware.

JasonK

I don't have any experience with anything other than FlySky (yet), but people reckon spektrum is easy to use and has most of the high-end features. But they're expensive, aren't they?
I have seen a few people ditching spektrum for radiomaster, and not regretting the move. Makes me think it would have to be radiomaster if / when I upgrade.

ATM I have two flysky radios - i6 (with custom 14 channel firmware), and stock i6X. TBH, I haven't even touched the i6X after upgrading i6 firmware.
price to feature ratio... I could get ~4 of the FlySky TX/RX combos for the cheaper of my Spektrum radios and it has 75ish% of the feature set that is relevant to anything I have done.

I eventually got a RadioMaster TX16S and it has more features then I would likely ever need and I can do any mixing setup that I could think of and many I couldn't... all for about what the cheaper of my Spektrum TX's cost that has feature parity closer to the FlySky indicated above.

I absolutely can see how someone would choose the Spektrum Brand (support, 'ease of use', many BNF's are spektrum, etc), but for someone willing to get their hands even slightly dirty doing stuff for themselves, I don't find it worth the extra $... Especially if you ever consider wanting to use a TX module... as then you would need one of the really high end Spektrums to have a module bay.