Tiny Trainer Price

AussieBison

Elite has nothing to with flight skill, I believe it has to do with how many likes you have got on posts.
haha I think you're right. not sure exactly how it works, but it would have something to do with your popularity and activity on the forums.

Chillmonge

Does this look better?
Screenshot 2021-05-28 7.03.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-05-28 7.03.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-05-28 7.03.24 PM.png

The reviews say the receiver has 6 channels or something (I don't know what that means), will that be enough? Will this work.

Attachments

• 1622243055475.png
    1622243055475.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 0

Flyingshark

Master member
Does this look better?
View attachment 201051
View attachment 201053
View attachment 201054
The reviews say the receiver has 6 channels or something (I don't know what that means), will that be enough? Will this work.
6 channels is more than enough. The Tiny Trainer at most needs 4 of them.

A "channel," is like a separate thing the radio can control. So a six channel radio can control six separate things at the same time.

Your motor counts as one "thing," and you will have four servos for the rest of the controls. If you set the servos up like in the build video, you connect the two aileron servos through a Y-cable that comes with the Power Pack in to one channel. So you'll end up with a total of four channels in the Tiny Trainer.

AussieBison

6 channels is more than enough. The Tiny Trainer at most needs 4 of them.

A "channel," is like a separate thing the radio can control. So a six channel radio can control six separate things at the same time.

Your motor counts as one "thing," and you will have four servos for the rest of the controls. If you set the servos up like in the build video, you connect the two aileron servos through a Y-cable that comes with the Power Pack in to one channel. So you'll end up with a total of four channels in the Tiny Trainer.
And actually this TX supports 10 Channel, you just have to enable them in the settings.. otherwise by default it’s 6 channel.
if you end up getting FlySky, highly recommend watching RCWithAdam’s YouTube videos for FlySky stuff

bisco

Elite member
don't build the aileron wing, it's not for beginners. build the 3 channel, with dihedral wing, much easier to learn on.
as a newbie who scratch built his first plane, i would definitely pay 30 bucks for the speed build kit. it is easier and more accurate.
i think you're making the correct tx decision. i spent over 200 bucks on a spectrum dx6. it is nice, but i think the flysky is a much better value.

bisco

Elite member
easiest to just buy 10 dollar 6 channel rx's, then get a bigger one when you move up to something much more complicated.
that's proly a long way off for a newbie

Flyingshark

Master member
don't build the aileron wing, it's not for beginners. build the 3 channel, with dihedral wing, much easier to learn on.
as a newbie who scratch built his first plane, i would definitely pay 30 bucks for the speed build kit. it is easier and more accurate.
i think you're making the correct tx decision. i spent over 200 bucks on a spectrum dx6. it is nice, but i think the flysky is a much better value.
Building both wings is also an option, and it's the best one in my opinion. Start with the 3 channel wing, definitely, but eventually you'll want to move up and fly with ailerons.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Yeah, more often than we only need 4 channels at max. With 6 channels, you could add landing gear + flaps, that is on top of throttle, elevator, aileron, and rudder.
Don't see when you'd need 7 - maybe for fun stuff like dropping stuff mid-flight? :ROFLMAO:

I had to get creative with a build a while back as I only had 6 channel reciever but wanted 7 -> L/R motor, L/R aileron, flapps, L/R Vtail. Ended up using a y-cable for the ailerons, but that removed the ability of crow-brakes or aileron differential (where up/down is done slightly different)

AussieBison

I had to get creative with a build a while back as I only had 6 channel reciever but wanted 7 -> L/R motor, L/R aileron, flapps, L/R Vtail. Ended up using a y-cable for the ailerons, but that removed the ability of crow-brakes or aileron differential (where up/down is done slightly different)
ah, I see. I always use Y-cable for ailerons. But yeah, if you're an advanced user with that kinda plane, you might want / need more channels on RX.

Any plans of adding new birds in your fleet?
I am thinking of scaling up Grifflyer's spit or 109. Or maybe original FT spit, or hangar's simple stick - too many options! :D

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I've been recommended the tiny trainer for my first plane. People are saying it's inexpensive, but when I look on the flight test store, it's about $320 for the kit, electronics, controller, and glue gun. Is there a cheaper way to make and fly the plane?

Thanks
$320 for a foamboard plane that's crazy. If you don't want to start scratch building buy an ARTF model with receiver etc all included see if you like the hobby first.
OMP do a great little plane
Worth a look

bisco

Elite member
you can get the speed build kit for thirty bucks, and associated parts for another 50. and those parts can be reused if desired

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
$320 for a foamboard plane that's crazy. If you don't want to start scratch building buy an ARTF model with receiver etc all included see if you like the hobby first.
OMP do a great little plane
Worth a look
that isn't $320 for a foam board plane, most of that cost is the spketrum TX/RX + hotglue gun/etc. about $100 of that is the plane + power pack. The think you linked comes with a really cheep TX that you can't/wouldn't want to reuse. so if you do choose to continue, your still starting over from scratch.

That is why I pointed to the 'getting started cheap' in my signature, which can get you in around $200 using FT kit and power pack and a TX that can take you through all of FT's plans.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am not that stupid to believe $320 is just for a Tiny Trainer kit, I think $320 for a full starter kit is a bit steep. I bought the OMP Hobby T720 for a mate he loves it and it cost him the equivalent of $126. That's a plane, RC gear and everything he needs to fly it including a lipo and charger.

bisco

Elite member
the glue gun is expensive. i got a nice adtech for 17 bucks on amazon. you need the hot one and long sticks for long joints like wing and fuse.
toss in a 100 dollar spectrum tx and 40 dollar rx, and you're talking some real money, aside from the airplane