Tiny Trainer Too Heavy?

SSgt Duramax

Hi everyone. I have been out of the game awhile. I left off with a mini arrow and it flew great! So, humbling myself getting back into the game, and since my daughter is now 7, she is old enough to start so I decided to build a tiny trainer.

I got my foam board from Wal Mart, it was called ghostline foam, and it felt remarkably solid, it was glossy and smooth with grid lines ghosted on one side, so I picked up a couple of squares.

I followed the instructions to the T and was very minimal with glue. I took it out to maiden it, and it flew like a heavy pig. It wasn't near as "floaty" as I thought a trainer should be, and I was wrestling with it the whole time with a 3S battery in it. No 7 year old is going to learn to fly on this. The CG was good. I put it on the postage scale, and it weighed 600g.

To make sure the motor wasn't bad (it had been laying around for a while) I loaded my electronics up into my arrow after all these years and it flew great. It is far lighter, but made from DTFB.

So I did use 9g servos as opposed to 5g, but it won't account for that much weight, right? The only thing I can think of is that ghostline foam weighs far more than the dtfb. Either way, the plane feels very heavy and not very trainer like.

I found some Elmer's foam board at work, and it seems closer to dtfb. I think I'll just build a mini speedster out of the Elmer's board and see how it plays out. It looks like a good traineresque plane right? What do you all think?

Mr.Grinch

Go get a few sheets of foam board from dollar tree and rebuild the trainer from that, you will be far more satisfied with the results.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
built light, the TT can be under 250g with a 2s battery and the 3 channel wing. with my 3s battery and the acrobatic wing it still comes in around 275/280g for mine, definitely under 300. Definately sounds like the foam you were using was to heavy. Even elmer's is heavier then the DTFB (almost 2x).

SSgt Duramax

Thanks! I had an extra sheet and I weighed it when I got home, and for a 22x28 sheet it was 266 grams. A Google search revealed that the Adam's is 115 grams per sheet. So that ghost foam is over double the weight! That explains everything.

I weighed the Elmer's too, and it is also quite heavy. The ghostline is .43g/in² and the Elmer's is .39g/in². So that means the same size of Elmer's board would weigh right at 240g. Still heavy. Even though it was free, I'll be making a stop by the dollar tree tomorrow and not be using the Elmer's. Thanks everyone.

SSgt Duramax

Ross brand foam board from Walmart is very similar to Adams fb from the Dollar Tree.
This wasn't Ross. Our Walmart only carries "ghostline" foam board. It weighs 260g per sheet! I will buy some Ross when I find it, as it is a little nicer and what I built my arrow with. I ordered the electronics to build a big plane, and I think it will be a storch!

I built a mini speedster with Elmer's with one side of the paper removed and it was OK. I trashed it as I bought 12 sheets of dtfb and rebuilt my tiny trainer. It is sub 300g now, under half the weight. Is the black foam board as light as the white? I may pick some of that up as well

Taildragger

Legendary member
This wasn't Ross. Our Walmart only carries "ghostline" foam board. It weighs 260g per sheet! I will buy some Ross when I find it, as it is a little nicer and what I built my arrow with. I ordered the electronics to build a big plane, and I think it will be a storch!

I built a mini speedster with Elmer's with one side of the paper removed and it was OK. I trashed it as I bought 12 sheets of dtfb and rebuilt my tiny trainer. It is sub 300g now, under half the weight. Is the black foam board as light as the white? I may pick some of that up as well
my dtfb comes in at 101g/ sheet