Solved Tiny trainer with FS i6 motor stops after half throttle

glennr

Hi,
My son has just bought a tiny trainer to get started. He has a FlySky FS i6 transmitter with an FS IA6B receiver.
The power to the motor and electronics cuts off at just over half throttle when the motor is loaded (prop on) and the controller seems to reset after a second or 2. In the throttle range just before this happens the 'tone' of the motor changes. When it is unloaded (prop removed) it doesn't cut out and the motor seems to respond correctly to the full throttle range.
The throttle is on channel 3 of the receiver. We are using 2 18650 cells to in series (2S) to test while waiting for the proper batteries to arrive.
We have done and redone the throttle calibration but nothing seems to change this behaviour.
Any ideas about what could be wrong and how to fix it?
Glenn

Bifi.baarlo

Hi,
My son has just bought a tiny trainer to get started. He has a FlySky FS i6 transmitter with an FS IA6B receiver.
The power to the motor and electronics cuts off at just over half throttle when the motor is loaded (prop on) and the controller seems to reset after a second or 2. In the throttle range just before this happens the 'tone' of the motor changes. When it is unloaded (prop removed) it doesn't cut out and the motor seems to respond correctly to the full throttle range.
The throttle is on channel 3 of the receiver. We are using 2 18650 cells to in series (2S) to test while waiting for the proper batteries to arrive.
We have done and redone the throttle calibration but nothing seems to change this behaviour.
Any ideas about what could be wrong and how to fix it?
Glenn
Very clear, the battery can't provide enough amps and because of that the voltage drops, nothing to worry about, wait for the lipo to arrive.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
yup, I agre with Bifi, unless you get specifically high amp rated 18650 cells, then tend to have a fairly high internal resistance and therefore large voltage drops when under high load (some even have protection circuits which would stop current completely).

From my bench tests -> at ~50-70% throttle, the A pack motor with a 6x4.5 prop would be pulling in the 4-5A range and it showed about 9A at full, which depending on your li-ion 18650 cells are rated for, you could just be pulling to much for them to handle.

1631621025488.png

Where did you get your cells from? might be able to figure out if they can handle that amount of current or not (you would want ones rated for at least 15-20A continuous discharge - the higher, the less voltage drop out)

Last edited:

glennr

Hi,
The batteries are LG cells rated at 20A. However the battery holder they are in has light gauge wires so this would explain the voltage drop.
Now that I know what sort of current to expect I'll find some more suitable wires to test with if the battery pack doesn't arrive today.
Thanks very much for weighing in on this.
Glenn

Last edited:

glennr

Got the proper battery today and it is working as expected. Thanks for the advice @Bifi.baarlo and @JasonK .
My son has been practising on a simulator so hopefully the first flight won't be straight into the ground!

RossFPV

My dads tiny trainer bundle is having the same problem with a 2s 800mah lipo, any ideas how to fix it?

RossFPV

You most likely need to calibrate the ESC.
We contacted FliteTest support and got it figured out. They said it happened to a few others(less than 1% of buyers) and its a defective motor. We did try calibration but it didnt fix it.