Tiny Twister - 2021 EZ/Micro Build Off

FlyingTyger

Elite member
And here's some finished shots of it prettied up.

20210528_211905.jpg

20210528_211918.jpg

20210528_211947.jpg

Tc Concepts

Control horns were cut from 1/32" ply and glued into the surfaces.
View attachment 200801

Control surfaces were hinged using some white packaging tape.
View attachment 200802

Electronics installed and the control rods run to the tail. Wheels were installed and retained using some plastic stoppers stolen (along with the wheels) from an E-Flite UMX.
View attachment 200800

Getting close now!

Fantastic work man!!!
Would you be so kind give us the info on the receiver you used and the ESC and motor size
PRETTY PLEASE!!!!

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Fantastic work man!!!
Would you be so kind give us the info on the receiver you used and the ESC and motor size
PRETTY PLEASE!!!!

The receiver is a Spektrum brushless UMX brick with integrated ESC, like this one.
The motor is this 5g 2000kv outrunner from Hobbyking. But you could take the full electronics from an E-Flite brushless UMX plane.. Battery is a 2S 300mah that again matches what is used in the brushless UMX planes.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Don't have any flight video, but can attest to it flying really well even in strong, somewhat gusty wind. This was built by me and my daughter during the design challenge stem 'class' at Fite Fest, we had a good time.
the goals were as follows:
  • use the limited material options
  • fly in a straight line 40-50ft (something like that)
  • fly out around an object and back to the start (not as far)
  • fly through a hula hoop
That last one was challenging with the 2 channel aspect of the craft, but we believe we made all of the challenge goals, the hula hoop was the only part we aren't 100% sure, but if we missed we were really close and everyone was clapping at the flight at that point. (it was about 1 hula hoop to the left from my point of view and I did a hard right which I think went through but not 100% sure)

1627254231529.png 1627254239228.png

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
How does it handle slow flight in tight areas? Looks like it might be a candidate for a winter gym flyer.
ours? probably would want to pull off the 2 extra bolts at the CG, we needed to add that for the wind, without that it would likely fly in a gym reasonably slow, we needed the extra mass for wind penetration and disturbance prevention. It flew ok without it, but we couldn't get it to go up wind well because of the throttle -> pitch cupling used by the 2 channel ez setup.