Tiny Whoop (CrazyBee F4) binding and odd behavior

dansteeby

Hi all,

I'm on my 2nd Tiny Whoop flight controller and am seeing a strange behavior after not getting it to bind to my transmitter for a couple weeks. Today I had time to try out different receiver settings in Betaflight, and found that the "FRSKY_D" receiver provider will successfully bind to my transmitter, while the preset value of "FRSKY_X" did not.

Excited to see things actually binding, I moved on to attempting a test flight and found a new behavior: enabling ARM mode spins up the props to their idle speed (promising!) but as I increase the throttle the motor speed increases a bit, and then everything suddenly stops. All motors halt, the whoop does a 180 degree spin on the ground from the torque, but otherwise nothing else happens until I reduce the throttle back to zero and disarm and rearm it, at which point it occurs again.

Does this sound like a known behavior? I'm using charged batteries, so I don't think that is the source of the problem. Thanks for any help!

dansteeby

Another update: I spent some time watching Tiny Whoop config videos and finally found a step I did not take in my setup process: after flashing the firmware with the hex file I was provided and then running the batch file that I was also provided, I apparently also have to type in the command "save" and hit enter in the CLI to get changes to stick. Taking this one last step now has my Tiny Whoop back in the air after a few weeks of being grounded! I depleted 4 1S batteries to celebrate.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been working on my whoops this weekend for indoor flying season. Found a 1st gen BeeBrain controller from 2016 that couldn't get to work back then. Did a reset config and it automatically started working. Always good to take a second look at a later date and/or time.

Cheers!
LitterBug