Help! Tiny Whoop parts advice

RossFPV

Hi so i want to slowly buy parts to make a tiny whoop and i have no idea on parts and i like indoor and outdoor flying kinda speedy and long battery life. Thx!

Corsair714

Here's is a video on a fast indoor/outdoor whoop with a pretty good flight time. He has a parts list in the desription which should help you out. Is this your first drone build?

RossFPV

Yes this is my first build but brushless is a bit expensive But im coming from rc cars and i know the benefits I might have to try it!

Corsair714

Yes this is my first build but brushless is a bit expensive But im coming from rc cars and i know the benefits I might have to try it!
I understand it's a bit expensive, but I'd say if you want a good drone get brushless. It may be more expensive intially, but overtime the intially more expensive purchase pays off. It's just so much better. Everything I've built or worked on has been brushless so I can't help you much if you want to build something that is brushed. It probably would be cheaper.

Corsair714

I just did a rough round up of everthing you would need to make the quad and it's only $130 usd. That's pretty good for a tiny whoop that flies for 8 minutes. It'd take some time to build of course. There's definetly cheaper drones, but this thing looks to be pretty awesome.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
One other thing about brushless, the motors basically last forever given you don’t abuse them. The super high kv brushed motors die fairly fast and need to be replaced, causing the price over time to sky rocket, as well as being less powerful. I have an inductrix fpv+, and I have had to replace the motors three or four times now, and as for power? Well let’s say it has a case of the Wobblies when pulling out of a dive down the staircase.

RossFPV

For now i want to keep it super cheap $110 and under is what i would like and I already have a camera. Brushless seems to be the one! I have an idea of what i want but the only thing i really need help with is an esc/receiver and if you are searching for me please keep it UNDER $45

BS projects inc.

Elite member
If you are new to tiny whoops I would personally recommend going brushed. The motors are incredibly cheep and easy to replace. Then if you find out you like it you can upgrade to a brushless build.
this is the most basic video for how to build a whoop. I got started with just 60$ and got hours of flights in on my first build.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
For now i want to keep it super cheap $110 and under is what i would like and I already have a camera. Brushless seems to be the one! I have an idea of what i want but the only thing i really need help with is an esc/receiver and if you are searching for me please keep it UNDER $45
I agree with @BS projects inc. , but if you still want to go brushless check out betafpv.com, they have lots of great parts that are generally accepted as good, and their rx/esc/fc boards are generally under 45.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
If you are going brushless, the mobula 6 is great for not only flight training but also for learning betaflight.

Brushed quads are VERY easy to build, fly, and they typically get longer flight times. You do need to replace motors every once in a long while though.

Happy flying!

RossFPV

Question Time!
Do brushed get better batery life than brushless?
Do you need 2s lipo for brushless?
If the esc has betaflight do you NEED to use it?
Is brushless ok for a first build?
Why do i have so many questions?

Corsair714

Brushless are technacilly more efficent and therefore should get better battery life, but in my expierence brushed flightime has seemed to be longer.
You do not need 2s for a brushless whoop. I have three brushless tinywhoops and they are all 1s.
It's not the esc that has betaflight it's the fc (flightcontroller). And yes you will most likely need betaflight for a few things, but not always if you get a bindnfly drone you should't really need to set anything up.
I think brushless is fine for your first build. A bit more expensive though.
You have so many questions just like everyone else does when they're learning something new. And there is a lot of stuff to learn in this hobby.

RossFPV

thanks and the only thing im kinda trying to avoid is betaflight because it seems hard and confusing.
i also have the flysky fs-i6 so what type receivers can i use? soldering is also something im kinda new at so are there many esc/fc that have all plugs?

Corsair714

ya, I know what you mean. Betaflight is very confusing. But there are a lot of videos that help with comprehending it. That remote will need a flysky receiver. Most tiny whoop esc/fc/vtx boards have plugs for the motors and some have plugs for the camera as well.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
thanks and the only thing im kinda trying to avoid is betaflight because it seems hard and confusing.
i also have the flysky fs-i6 so what type receivers can i use? soldering is also something im kinda new at so are there many esc/fc that have all plugs?
My suggestion is just do it, Betaflight is a must when it comes to building drones either way I believe, and even if you can avoid it for this drone you are going to have to learn it later on down the road. Follow a tutorial for Betaflight for a drone as close to the same as what you want to build, and if you need help I’m sure you can find someone here who knows how to help you with it. @PsyBorg seems to be our friendly neighborhood Betaflight wizard 😉.

Corsair714

PsyBorg has helped me out a lot with all my drone questions as well.

Just wondering are you set on building a drone or did you think it would be cheaper or something? In my experience it's not always cheaper and if you build a drone you're gonna need to learn how to use betaflight and also how to solder it's just the way it is. It may be hard to learn, but it's worth it.

RossFPV

I have soldered before but those wires were like 5x the size and i dont have a real soldering tool i just use a wood burning tool. I might want to get a real soldering tool for stuff this small. I also will use betaflight because it seems like something good to know.