Tiny Whoov Offroad Upgrades?

Thorondor

I recently upgraded from a brushed Tiny Whoop to a brushless Mobula7, and now I have brushed guts to play with. The most fun thing I can think of to do with them (besides selling them and seeing the money, of course) is to make a Tiny Whoov from the FT plans, but I'm reserving the right to be picky. I don't have a lot of floor space in my house and most of the time when I would use a Whoov would be at my college in between classes on one of several fun-looking concrete areas. With the FT foamboard plans and no particularly powerful components, is it possible to make a Whoov that reasonably glides over rough-ish concrete? Based on my eyeballing, making a skidplate from a foam disposable plate should make it reasonably effective, but this is in no way supported by evidence or experiment. My FC board is a Betaflight board, so if there is a tune for a Whoov conversion that any of y'all know of, that would also be useful.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I've made several little foam hovercraft from broken quad bits... with the right "skirt" material you can get them over some pretty rough terrain.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I was looking for a picture of what I built but I cant seem to find it... was nothing special, just some scrap foam and a strip or 1/2 round "calk saver" which is just a round foam rope for stuffing in cracks to help keep snow/cold out of an old house.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'm still looking for the pics/videos I had of the ones I made... a bit simpler than the FT ones, but the kids and I had a blast with them.

I even had a couple little boards from cheap drones that had the motor pads melted off due to too many repairs... the hovercraft will work with only 3 motors. I even had one with only 2 motors that worked with some success, not as simple as the 4 motor version, but functional.

DAWNSIGHT4

I would just use regular DTFB and remove all the paper. That way, its half as light as regular foamboard, and can still take a lot of abuse. having tried this project in the past, its still great on the floor just using the foam on ground without a skirt.