Tinywhoop won't arm

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
So I got my tinywhoop out and decided to load the newest firmware for the beebrain. Turns out only 3.2.1 will allow mine to bind. no big deal. Now it wont arm. receiver tab shows everything working and so does the mode page. Well the tab for arm will not turn yellow like the other options do. Any thoughts gang?

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter

Is your gyro out of wack? My guess is it may be a small_angle issue.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Its a safety feature. More then likely you are not passing the mincheck. When I had that issue in the past it was because mincheck was below min command and it wont let you arm if it thinks the props will spin upon arming. Set min command in the configuration page to 1000 and set stick low threshold (mincheck) to 1010 0r 1015. This will get rid of throttle dead band at the lowest part of the range.

If you are using spectrum you have to set your travel adjustments to 147% to let it get in the (min command) 1000- 2000 range other wise sometimes the min throttle on the radio will not go below the default 1100 min check.

EDIT: you can also type Status in the command line and that will give you any errors stopping the quad from arming. Some versions give actual items others you have to cross reference hex numbers to find the write up on githubs error list.

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Yea done the status thing. I get mixed responses. From an angle flag to the calibration flag. Psy do you have a Skype account?

French

I’d go into the cli and “set small_angle = 180” then “save” just to rule out that potential issue.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
So explain that. Ive still new to the whole betaflight pid stuff. Oh anyone want to do a google hangout later to help? say around 7:30pm est?

French

Small_angle is a safety feature for larger quads. I think the default is set to 25°. That means that if the flight controller is at an angle >25° in any orientation, the quad will not arm and spin the motors. It’s designed so that if you’re holding your 5” and accidentally flip your arm switch, the quad will not eat up your fingers, hands, or arms. That’s not really a concern with a tiny whoop.

If the fc isn’t set perfectly to level, it’s easy for the angle to exceed the 25°. Setting “small_angle = 180” (180°) in the CLI (Command Line Interface, the bottom tab on the left of betaflight) means that the fc will arm at any angle, even upside down.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
So here is the update. After flashing 3.2.1 the whoop finally binds. Lets see if it stays that way overnight. And after performing the suggested adjustments...... IT FLIES!!!!!!! Thanks guys

theboatpirate

what version is your board? I have a v1 board and im pretty sure my firmware isnt happy. i read that the v1 board wont take to any version over 3.0.1 and i cant find that version. newbeedrone lost the file so no more firmware unless i can find someone who still has the file. anyone who might have it I would love to get a copy.