Tip Of The Spear

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I also have trouble with the side arm toss. Too easy to introduce a roll. I use the underhand frisbee toss. Grab about 1/3 out from the center, just make sure the wing clears the arm and toss.

jpot1

Elite member
I go side arm as well. I have found the key is a level toss with maybe a 10-20 degree angle. That way you have a chance of getting on the sticks. I’m right handed so I toss with my left hand so I can be feeding in a little up elevator.

Built the spear previously and it flew super stable but I found it to be way underpowered on the C pack. The platform is just heavy.

Most recently I upsized an arrow and went with a simplified KFM approach. Added the spear tips. Also super stable and a bit faster. Going to try 4s next.
375D8515-A725-49C7-80E3-36ACFBF45D56.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
When I have extra cash I’ll pick up a couple of 4s batteries and my lhs has the ft radial c pack motors in stock... I plan on picking up a turnoff plush 40 amp esc for that motor. Too bad about the launch though, looked kinda like my first one, just yours was a bit longer😂 I have a 4 5000 mah 3s batteries, so I should have some really long flight time! The frisbee toss works well for me.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea I am going to frisbee toss the next one. I was kinda nervous about the toss, mentioned it in my first vid here. I couldn't get enough of a grip on it. It is a heavy frame. The thing with it now is that the motor shaft is sheared off and lost my in-runner prop adapter when the dog attacked it after the unexpected landing. 50 lb Boxer pounces on it and it still has held up frame wise. I do have to replace the hatch cover, but I will have to modify the power box for an out runner motor... off the Sportster.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yea I am going to frisbee toss the next one. I was kinda nervous about the toss, mentioned it in my first vid here. I couldn't get enough of a grip on it. It is a heavy frame. The thing with it now is that the motor shaft is sheared off and lost my in-runner prop adapter when the dog attacked it after the unexpected landing. 50 lb Boxer pounces on it and it still has held up frame wise. I do have to replace the hatch cover, but I will have to modify the power box for an out runner motor... off the Sportster.
Do you ruined the motor from THAT? Or was it the dog’s fault?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I already have a new prop & slot wing built and ready for the maiden tomorrow. It's the Combat Arrow:
20191101_223626.jpg

This is based on the original FT Arrow which is supposed to have the F pack, could be run on the A pack as well I am sure. I had built the Arrow before and tried to fly it back in the day when I couldn't fly and it didn't go well. I had the throttle to high to fly as a noob and like any noob you forget your name once the plane is airborne. I could have throttled back and had a wing to play with for longer then 45 seconds but it's the way it goes.

This time the Combat Arrow has the same motor as I had in the Spear, just smaller, similar in size to the 22. Has the folded wing, not KFm so it might be able to take some hits along the LE. It is a bank and yank AET as opposed to elevon style, the tail is attached with 2 CF rods short coupled back to the elevator/Vstabs. The prop slot was widened to 8 1/2" from 7 1/4" to fit a 8" prop nicely. There is a hatch in the top of the wing to house the Rx, and the fuse is basically a power pod type box glued to the bottom to fit the battery, ESC, and firewall. I did do a glide test on it and balances right on the original marks from the plans, which makes sense. The plane in flight balances on the wing not the fuse so it doesn't matter what you put on it as long as its even on both front and back.

I liked the size of the FT-22 with this same motor set up for speed and handling. This may be the same weight as the 22 but a little more drag... maybe. The 22 had the intakes and some extra stuff to make it look like the real jet fighter where this is bare bones machine, no frills. Only the essentials. It wont get a pretty paint job before I abuse this one to see what I can do to make it better. The only thing I would add to it now would be a sacrificial nose for looks and impact absorption. Maiden will happen tomorrow. Stay tuned