Tip Of The Spear

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thanks man. Gonna pick up some fresh batt's for the Tx tomorrow and have it painted by the end of the day. Maiden maybe on Thursday, weather depending, haven't checked on that yet.
If I had your inventory I would have a lot more planes to play with. At on point in time I had 2 motors and eight planes on the shelf, changing the motors around isn't a big deal. Sure it's not a grab and go operation but I get to mess around with each one before I take it out, helps with seeing improvements that could be made and dealt with.

Did you fly the Bravo the same day you flew the Spit? Any video?
Thx for reminding me. I’ll get it uploading. You should really pick up two of the c pack motors and do a twin. I definitely don’t blame you for not wanting to go spend $40 though, and that’s without esc’s...

moret

RCMP huh, you from Quebec?

Not close, you know what a hillbilly is?
Southern Missouri, but I worked in MO, AR, TN, TX, NM, CO, IL etc..
Been to Vancouver for a few weeks,
Been to Perrault Falls, Ontario Fishing and to Toronto.
Saw how close the little water fall was to Toronto so slip down there after meetings.
I was hunting for a shirt that said " my husband went to Niagara Falls and all I got was this shirt" for my wife

Drove the Alaska Hwy 2 years ago but turned North at Whitehorse to see Dawson then west to Alaska.
I don't do things like normal people, Since I was in Fairbanks, We drove up the Dalton Hwy and camped North of the Arctic circle
Been a lot of places, A guy who likes open land and mountains more then cities and people

bracesport

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - thats why I ditched the motors - so much easier with only Rx, small batteries and servos - that is a great concept for the wing, I am sure it will fly well, and I want to see it going slow with the flaps down on a flyby or with a chase cam on the drone!

Thanks man. Gonna pick up some fresh batt's for the Tx tomorrow and have it painted by the end of the day. Maiden maybe on Thursday, weather depending, haven't checked on that yet.
If I had your inventory I would have a lot more planes to play with. At on point in time I had 2 motors and eight planes on the shelf, changing the motors around isn't a big deal. Sure it's not a grab and go operation but I get to mess around with each one before I take it out, helps with seeing improvements that could be made and dealt with.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thx for reminding me. I’ll get it uploading. You should really pick up two of the c pack motors and do a twin. I definitely don’t blame you for not wanting to go spend $40 though, and that’s without esc’s...
Oh I do want to do a twin for sure, don't get me wrong, if the budget allowed I would be in the hobby store every couple of weeks getting new gear, I am jobless at the moment so the hobby funds are limited. Still waiting on buddy (dude I got those two controllers from) to come forth with his box of goodies he wants to donate, see what is in the bag of tricks. Judging by the Tx's though it might be a bunch of brushed motors and ESC's though lol.
Not close, you know what a hillbilly is?
Southern Missouri, but I worked in MO, AR, TN, TX, NM, CO, IL etc..
Been to Vancouver for a few weeks,
Been to Perrault Falls, Ontario Fishing and to Toronto.
Saw how close the little water fall was to Toronto so slip down there after meetings.
I was hunting for a shirt that said " my husband went to Niagara Falls and all I got was this shirt" for my wife

Drove the Alaska Hwy 2 years ago but turned North at Whitehorse to see Dawson then west to Alaska.
I don't do things like normal people, Since I was in Fairbanks, We drove up the Dalton Hwy and camped North of the Arctic circle
Been a lot of places, A guy who likes open land and mountains more then cities and people
Yea we have our brand of rednecks up north of the 49th, I might be one of them lol. MO, CO, TX is nice country as well. Been there a couple times. Sailed up and down the west coast as a kid and flown all over Canada many times.

I was just surprised you mentioned the RCMP. They are actually our lazy police, would rather catch DUI's and old ladies shop lifting then really protect and serve. The Muni cops are the real deal. We have recently given Sheriffs some power to play, they just used to transfer prisoners, now they are more highway patrol.
@BATTLEAXE - thats why I ditched the motors - so much easier with only Rx, small batteries and servos - that is a great concept for the wing, I am sure it will fly well, and I want to see it going slow with the flaps down on a flyby or with a chase cam on the drone!
Didn't you see the vid I posted of the Combat Arrow, same concept just on the Spear. Check it out:

Thursday is maiden day, checked the weather, new batteries for the Tx, be all painted up. Might go find a new place to maiden it, farmers are done with their fields so there is lots of open space around.

When is your next airtime adventure?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Oh I do want to do a twin for sure, don't get me wrong, if the budget allowed I would be in the hobby store every couple of weeks getting new gear, I am jobless at the moment so the hobby funds are limited. Still waiting on buddy (dude I got those two controllers from) to come forth with his box of goodies he wants to donate, see what is in the bag of tricks. Judging by the Tx's though it might be a bunch of brushed motors and ESC's though lol.
Haha😆 Brushed - heavy and low power! No job means you have time to build and fly though!

Headbang

Master member

That juggling act you do would drive me nuts, almost drove me nuts watching you do it! But ya know, we do what we have to, as long as we are are flying all is good!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@Headbang is his own hobby shop.

As soon as I get work I will be whittling down a $1000 list as of now and I am sure the more I acquire the more I will buy on top of that. This dry spell has to break at some point.
No job means you have time to build and fly though!
That's all I have been doing! It's been fun though. Now that the weather is getting colder it will get boring with limited flying days. Good time to work and build up the collection.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
No more
Sounds like it's time to design some skis! Others have done so on this forum, you'll be able to find some inspiration. It'd be cool to see your take on them. Have you still got your Baby B? I don't think anyone's put skis on a biplane, yet. :)
Baby Blender, I thought every one got tired of seeing me fly it :LOL:

I do have the Sportster set up for floats though. I do have snow on the ground now, Will be doing a maiden today since the weather is better now then it's predicted for tomorrow, so you will see how much snow i do have here. Just might not be enough for the floats yet though.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's been awhile since I have been on this thread, due to waiting for a new Tx. Got the maiden done, video will tell the story. Check it out:

Sorry for the shaky vid, cameraman is still in training. Maybe I'll get him flying soon, and I will shake up his vids lol

Tench745

Master member
Hey look, a classic stall-spin. If memory serves that's what did-in my first versawing.
The inboard wing stalls but the outboard one keeps flying. In a traditional aircraft you stop the spin with opposite rudder, then get the nose down to get the wings flying, and pull out if you still have altitude. Unfortunately with a wing you don't have rudder. If you try to roll out of it you just stall the inboard wing more.
Your only way to get out of it is to get both wings flying again.
I haven't played with it enough to know if either would work reliably, but as I see it you have two options.
A) You can put the nose down and hope, which is very counter-intuitive when you're already heading at the ground.
Or
B) You can roll into the spin and try to get the aircraft inverted enough to fly out of it...

Of course, if you have a mechanical failure that led to the stall-spin, all bets are off.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - what happened at the end - did something break in mid air?
Not to sure, but I do know what it wasn't... LOS
Hey look, a classic stall-spin.
Mind you this might be what it was, I know by intuition I wasn't able to recover by pulling up, probably made it worse.

I am not concerned though, I already salvaged it out and was able to finish the Bushwhacker, which I maidened just now. Probably the best maiden I have ever had, uploading video now.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea I ran the a similar set up on the original Spear with a 3536 1200Kv and a 9x6 prop. The only difference on the 80% Spear was an 8x6. Plus the fact I made it an AET set up with the tail section hoping to stabilize it. Didn't work out for me. I am happy it worked out for you but unfortunately I won't be making a third. I will be moving into a different wing, haven't decided if it's the Versa because it's a tractor or the Goblin yet. What I am looking for is a good cam platform, and honestly I don't want the Versa because the prop is out front.