Tips and tricks for scratch build newbie?

Jabberwo

Hi,

Started my first ever plane this week! A Chuck Glider. I knew I would make mistakes, and I wasn't disappointed in that regards! I used tiled plans printed out and then taped onto the foam board. One thing I did badly was cutting all the way threw when I was supposed to be making a channel for a B fold. Can't make a nice radius cut at all.

I searched for a sticky on tips and tricks on how to print, transfer, cut, glue, and paint DTFB. Supprised not to find one. Did I just miss it? If not, lets start one! This will NOT be my last one and I want to get better fast and then be able to show my 9yo!

thanks,
Jab

Matagami Designs

Master member
Hi,

Started my first ever plane this week! A Chuck Glider. I knew I would make mistakes, and I wasn't disappointed in that regards! I used tiled plans printed out and then taped onto the foam board. One thing I did badly was cutting all the way threw when I was supposed to be making a channel for a B fold. Can't make a nice radius cut at all.

I searched for a sticky on tips and tricks on how to print, transfer, cut, glue, and paint DTFB. Supprised not to find one. Did I just miss it? If not, lets start one! This will NOT be my last one and I want to get better fast and then be able to show my 9yo!

thanks,
Jab

My trick for cutting the channels is to only score the top layer and then go though with a sharpened popsicle stick to finish it off then break loose. As for radius in my opinion it's best to sand them in.

Captain Video

Keep losing your binding key? Hook a Carabiner (sp) to the wire loop of the binding key and hook to the handle of your transmitter. Always return it to your transmitter after binding and you will have your binding key! It is just like magic!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My trick for cutting the channels is to only score the top layer and then go though with a sharpened popsicle stick to finish it off then break loose. As for radius in my opinion it's best to sand them in.
I use propellers - always have an abundance of those lying around and they work like a charm!

Jabberwo

I use propellers - always have an abundance of those lying around and they work like a charm!

I think my fuselage would come out a lot like:

1571862730781.png