Tips on perfecting the side-toss hand launch?

So, my first 3 attempts at getting my Stryker Q in the air were a massive fail. Broke apart the nose cone the first time, smushed the front behind the cone a bit the second time, and managed to destroy my prop the 3rd time.

Once a wing is in the air, I'm fine & can fly all day. My Electrajet was great because it had a big fin on the bottom so it would be nearly impossible to clip your hand with the prop so I tossed it from underneath.
It's this side toss I can't get down. I know to add a little aileron to counteract the torque roll (tossing at 50-75% throttle) but i haven't gotten it to release anywhere near straight or level. I don't want to risk wrecking my plane before I even get to "fly" it.

Or heck, would adding a fin to the underside have much of a negative effect on this airframe?

I've only been flying for maybe a year and a half now, but am way past the beginner stage and this shouldn't be a problem for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get past this and feel competent again :p
Thanks!
-Jeff

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
You could put a small grip fin on the bottom of the plane without it effecting it negatively. I'd make sure to do it on the CoG though.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah and also look that if you mount one that it is mounted at a perfect angle!! If not flying characteristics will become worse especially as it is only a bank and yank plane.

Not that it is much help, but. I actually run and toss with the motor off. Of course I don't have the controls, in fact, I suck so much at flying that I very rarely get to fly it. My son loves his baby and doesn't want Dad to tear it up! I have had some success with launching the 180 Stryker with a back hand throw from the wing.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
My experience find a method that works well for ya and stick with it. I've a couple of planes that I have had big time problems learning to sidearm toss. Others just want to get in the air and are less sensitive.

I have had better luck with a pizza throw type toss... Grabbing the plane by the wing near the nose, holding the plane like a waiter might hold a tray. See the not so great vid of me tossing the Grim Reaper:

The trick to the sidearm toss is that it is not so much as a toss as it is a placement of your plane in the air. The trick is to avoid any kind of frisbee like action.
Hold the wing, run up the throttle around half so that the prop wash is helping support the wing, kind of "place" the plane in the air. I have never really mastered this technique...
Watch how the kid in the vid launches his plane.

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
Try to not make it spin--but throw it more straight--give more "power" or "speed" or whatever, to your arm....and don't really throw it too hard, but let the power take it...Sorry I couldn't explain it better

Last edited:
I have had better luck with a pizza throw type toss... Grabbing the plane by the wing near the nose, holding the plane like a waiter might hold a tray. See the not so great vid of me tossing the Grim Reaper:

My worry with the Stryker Q is that the prop is larger and there is nothing to block it from your hand when tossing from underneath. Even your video throwing that grim reaper looked a bit dangerous in that respect. I'll have to just keep trying from the side I suppose. My buddy had a good 5 or 6 failed tosses before he got his Stryker Q in the air, and I think he's done well every time since.

You did offer some good info and videos, I'll keep at it.... if I ever get a decent weather day again here!
-Jeff

Yeah and also look that if you mount one that it is mounted at a perfect angle!! If not flying characteristics will become worse especially as it is only a bank and yank plane.

I'm confused when you say that this is only a bank and yank plane. It has dual rudders....

I do think a fin on the bottom big enough to "block" the prop from your hand would negate some of the effect of the rudders though. It might help a little with the torque roll effect too though maybe. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for everyone's input so far!
-Jeff

I'd throw, THEN hit the throttle.

Actually tried that first... Not sure if I wasn't quick enough to throttle or if I gave it too much or what, but it wasn't pretty either. Definitely feel more comfortable with some throttle.
But I'll give a regular throw without throttle a couple more shots if the side toss won't play nice when I get out flying again.

I don't like bruising up a pristine airframe without any flight time... definitely a frustrating learning curve here on what I'd think would be simpler :eek:

But I'll get 'er!