Tired of Waiting on X-Jets FPV Backpack?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Alright, Here is my quick, painless, simple version of a FPV setup.

BOM:

1 200mW 5.8GHz Transmiter module from Goodluckbuy.com
1 used security camera from e-bay
1 Micro Molex pigtail from E-Bay (for camera connection).
1 SMA PCB jack from Range Video
1 SMA lead with connector from Range Video (I built my antenna with this part and some mig wire)
1 3.3V UBEC from Hobby King
1 .1 spacing pin header from Jameco (20 pins long, break apart as needed)
Various Connectors and wiring (on hand from an Arduino project and Std RC cables).
Edit: I forgot the heat sink. An old 486CPU Heat sink cut into 4 pieces and attached with double sided heat sink tape.

Total Cost: Roughly $50 USA Dollars

There is no switch for channel selection as it is hardwired.

FAST FPV Solution.jpg FPV Hooked up.jpg SIMPLE FPV Solution.jpg

Power is from a single 2S LIPO wired to the connector seen in the upper right corner (marked 7) and to the UBEC.
The white wire seen coiled at the transmitter plug is the audio input that is unused in my implementation.

I have not finalized the mounting method for each component yet but I am thinking of a "Gift Card Sled" as used in various mounts by ExperimentalAir's Ed.

Thurmond

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Nice work, Thurmond. You should do a build video and call it 'the FPV Backpack that Xjet never built'. And tag RCModelreviews and Xjet

Tritium

Nice work, Thurmond. You should do a build video and call it 'the FPV Backpack that Xjet never built'. And tag RCModelreviews and Xjet

:applause: Thanks lobstermash, I did post it on the BackPack thread on Bruce's forum. I wanted a build that did not require PCB/powersupply design and manufacturing and minimal soldering. I like "simple" as long as it works well.

By the way my receiver is similarly built. I am using an old portable DVD player for viewing with a box attached made from black foam board fashioned after the likeness of the OLD penny arcades.
Practically no light issues at all in any sunlit conditions.

Thurmond

Tritium