to many things to mention

ofiesens2

Professional noob
Not sure if you are listening.... we all think it is tail heavy based on what you described. A tail heavy plane with go nose up almost as soon as you throw it, and then stall and fall forward into the ground.
On the other hand, if it is nose heavy, then it will immediately, as soon as you throw it, start heading towards the ground.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I think the confusion is in the glide test you made. In your glide test, you should toss into light or no wind, as level as you can (with no throttle)... If the plane flies level and gradually lands itself, it's pretty well balanced.

If you toss it, and it climbs, either there's too much wind, the control surfaces aren't level, or it's tail heavy.

If you toss it, and it dives, immediately, it's nose heavy, or you have way too much down elevator.

There are other ways to test the balance when under power, etc, but that's how a glide test would work.

Here's an example of a glide test I did -- but slightly modified to use a bit of thrust at the start just because this was a heavy build -- I also wanted to try experimenting with a wing launch technique using an overhead throw, so I was basically doing a few things at once. I do cut the throttle as soon as my hands reach the TX, so that's basically how I was testing the balance:

With your description of your test results, you say it climbs to 10' -- without power, it shouldn't do that if you toss it level.... unless you're 10' tall!

I also took a look at your original post. Did you also perform an ESC throttle calibration with your TX so that your have the full range of throttle programmed in? That might explain why it might need full up elevator with full throttle to fly when under power. That said, it sure does sound tail heavy just based on the glide tests. Need to either move the battery more towards the nose, or if you can't move it forward more, try adding nose weight.

Last edited:

dvx216

Thank you all for hanging in there and getting me brain to think right.I was misinterpreting the chuck test it was climbing instead of fling flat because of the tail weight then stalling then it would come in nose hard .Now it slowly loses height from a flat toss and at the very end drops it nose about a foot from the ground.Where the battery is now It is just slightly tail heavy using the CG marks from the prints.