Todays Flying

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Tell about your day!

23 october 2011, Sunshine, +8 C (48 F), 10 m/s (20 mph). The temperature in the field shed was soon up to 35 C (95 F). Not a lot of members on the field. A "family friendly" picture..... (No ninja swords och artillery at our field).
111023-05.JPG

More pics : http://www.ripamfk.com/html/201110/index.htm#23

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I was hoping to get some flying in today, but the winds have set in. I'd throw a helicopter up, but I don't have any of them flight worthy at the moment.

Maybe later I'll post some pictures of workbench flying... :D

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I see an E-Flite Mini Ultra Stik...That was a fun plane and the only crash I've ever had due to equipment failure. On the third flight it just nosed in. After testing, the elevator servo was dead but all the others worked. The funny thing is is that I had used the Spektrum digital micro servos that came with my radio. Until that point I'd only used HXT900's and TG9e's and NEVER had a problem...but the expensive digital servo failed lol.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Ah- Winter has not set in here in Utah I think we were in the 50s a little cool but a no jacket day for me :)
Overcast conditions, light was a little weird, just a light breeze, lovely day to fly.
As almost always, to busy to snap a pic.
Flew the Supecub of Love and dropped Nerf bombs on some of my fellow flyers.
Flew a new trainer project that a friend of mine has been working on. At half throttle, laid the transmitter on the ground and let the plane fly itself for about three minutes.
Helped a couple of low hours flyers. Let my son fly one of my combat wings around. he's doing great, he even flew some combat.
Got a few combat hits and did a low and slow limbo under the irrigation pipe.
Fun day!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Flew the Supecub of Love and dropped Nerf bombs on some of my fellow flyers.
Got a few combat hits and did a low and slow limbo under the irrigation pipe.
Fun day!
That sounds lika a lot of fun. Get your son a camera so that all of us can enjoy the fun with you.

I had a "short hour" testing a model first time in the air today. Then it started raining so there was an hour cleaning the tx from drops and ventilating everything to get dry for storage to the next flying - hopefully tomorrow.
111030-02.JPG

The test of the Thrush indicated that i need an inch bigger prop to compensate for the air disturbance from the dummy cylinders and that the motor need some degree of right thrust.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I tried flying the wing a little. Still not balanced right. I'll keep on it. I did try using some twist ties as aileron hinges. I think there's potential there.

It's getting colder. Time to start thinking about putting skis on the planes.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
This week was really foggy and misty but there was some flying.
The first picture is not from today but from last saturday the 5th nov. The sight was aprox 25 meters so the flying distance was about a quarter of the field length. Sunday was much better and thera was more than 10 people on the field. The pic is of a HobbyKing GeeBee R3 - it flew almost forever on a 3 cell nanotech 850 mAh.
111105-03.JPG
111106-13.JPG

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Yeah mate- I know.
Even when I do get a camera out with us I am notorious for not getting any pictures.
We flew yesterday in the wind and only one other guy showed up.
both my son and the other guy had problems with their planes so I was the only one that flew a couple of packs out.
The Grim Reaper loves the wind and flying laps at 1/2 throttle is a blast, handles the downwind turn well and takes off with the tailwind and can almost hover with a stiff enough headwind. Just too much fun but also too cold. We are not geared up for winter flying yet. Give us a few weeks of foul weather and we will start turning out for our famous winter flying Saturdays.

That sounds lika a lot of fun. Get your son a camera so that all of us can enjoy the fun with you.

I had a "short hour" testing a model first time in the air today. Then it started raining so there was an hour cleaning the tx from drops and ventilating everything to get dry for storage to the next flying - hopefully tomorrow.
111030-02.JPG

The test of the Thrush indicated that i need an inch bigger prop to compensate for the air disturbance from the dummy cylinders and that the motor need some degree of right thrust.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Jim, have you tried using Extreme Tape for hinges? It's something we've been using for a while now even on our big combat planes. I've never seen a hinge fail with this method. One thing about Extreme Tape is that it is very UV sensitive. Cover it with clear laminate or clear packing tape to keep it from degrading.

Another thing that you might try is a Goop hinge. I've done a couple of these now and am very surprised on how well they work.
I'm going to try to do a small howto on these in a upcoming blog entry. Short story is you make a relief cut just like you would on a taped hinge, place the two surfaces together and squeeze a bead down the hinge line, spread it thin with a finger, as long as the Goop plays nice with the type of foam you are using you'll have a durable hinge.

I tried flying the wing a little. Still not balanced right. I'll keep on it. I did try using some twist ties as aileron hinges. I think there's potential there.

It's getting colder. Time to start thinking about putting skis on the planes.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Looks like an ESM Skyraider and a Super Chipmunk. Very nice flying field...that was a lot of tree dodging lol....how many planes end up in trees there?

Last edited:

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I went flying today about 2,5 hours! Which I happened to find soo nice after I realised I spent 2,5 hours at the field :D:D

My little brother did the first flights with the HK Coota which is actually a plane made to flying on water but he wanted to be on the safe side and make the few first starts on solid ground (I can´t follow his reasoning properly there but anyway). He did let me fly it as well, twice. I agreed with him that it doesn´t really fly that nice but for 50€ it still is a pretty decent plane. Some stuff to do it and modificate for the future but this is what our hobby is about essentially, isn´t it.

Got my Event 3D up in the air 6 times with 6 batteries :D (Left my Skyfighter at home, which usually uses the same batteries)
Each battery giving me always at least 5 minutes so 6x5=30 minutes of pure flight time :D:D

Then my Parkzone Extra 300. I have had some troubles with it the last couple of times and the plane became much more of a love-hate-relationship but today everything went pretty well. Even though it doesn´t fly that nice any more. I´ll get it to!

All in All. A pretty nice day flying and I think, that it couldn´t have been much nicer anyway. No wind ealier and only very little wind at the end just before we left with a blue sky, barely any clouds and a nie sun shining at us.

Made all my illness pain go away for 2,5 hours :D:D

Not such a good day. Put my new HK RadJet in a flat spin and wasn't able to fully recover. Been gluing foam pieces back together for the last hour. Word to the wise. Don't power off when your going vertical. It gets real ugly!

Jay

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
No flying today - 1 month to christmas.
Something to do when the evenings are dark.
111124-01.jpg

It isan old wing from something that could have been a "Sting Pylon" fromthe early 90s.
Today’s exercisewas to dig servo-wells and make something new for flaperon.

lik1.JPG lik2.JPG
There has been a lot of job getting rid of many layers of old paint and covering.
It is certainly not worth the spending of time and materials as something RTF is really cheaper. But an rtf does not give me the pleasure.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Alone with my model on the field today. The local storm Berit has warned most flyers to be at home today.
Just a few seconds on film - the cameraman could not catch up with the down wind speed ;-)