Today's "Why Not?" project

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have 110 gallons of methanol. I wonder how an 80/20 mix of Methanol / Biodiesel would run in one of these?

Thurmond

earthsciteach

I'll look me up a recipe for methanol. Or just save the heads. From what pgerts says, it'll handle whatever I throw at it.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
If you have a local or area biodiesel supplier/manufacturer you can get Methanol by the truckload fairly cheaply.
I may try the mix on an old 2 stroke weed-eater engine I have been thinking of re-purposing for an aircraft.

Thurmond

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
There are lots of people experimenting with ethanol. It works but if you want to fly and not to spend all your time trying to get the motor to run reliable - get a bottle of glow/nitro fuel at a club or hobbyshop. The FAI standard mix would probably be the cheapest and most suitable for the Webra but a few % of nitro(methane) will definitely not hurt.
One thing - if you are using nitro in the fuel - remember to oil the engine after using it, if it is going to rest for longer periode. Nitro sucks moisture and makes the bearings corrode.
The huge amount of oil content - about 20% is needed in those old engines and it has to be an oil that mixes with the methanol, like Aerosynt or Castor.

earthsciteach

I am very grateful to be able to learn from you, pgerts. I have no experience in this area!

Thurmond - We used to have a biodiesel mfr nearby, but I think they went out of business. A guy I teach with runs bio in his diesel VW bug, but I think he runs straight vegetable oil and uses a heater to thin it. I'll check with him to see what he knows.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I have never built a coroplane myself but it was not too far away as i got a big sheet of coromaterial a few years ago.
I assume that it is a quick build? Will it fly before or after x-mas?
My concerns are that plastic is a little heavy - but i might be wrong. I have a Multiplex Magister (foam) and she is not any "Twiggy" but she floats fine and will cope with winds when i am the only one at the club flying. I hope to get a "fake GoPro" strapped on her for the x-mas flight if it is not to wet or foggy (for me to fly - not the plane).

earthsciteach

It is a very quick build. The only thing that slows down the build is waiting 15-20 minutes for the contact cement to dry before joining parts.

The kit utilizes thin coro for most of the large components. The thick/heavy pieces are small and used as reinforcement. So it isn't that heavy. The wing is very much like an Armin wing in construction, except it utilizes a wood spar. With a 64" wingspan, the wing loading should be pretty light. I think she will be a floater.

earthsciteach

Built - possibly. Flown - doubtful. I don't have servos for it at the moment.

I do have one gallon of a fuel that is methyl alcohol, nitromethane and non-petroleum lubricants. Does that sound like the right stuff? Its labeled as "Omega Competition."

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Exactly right fuel. But i would rather have it in a different order (if the highest content is placed first as it should be.
Methyl alcohol (methanol)
Lubricant (Oil) - is not only use to lube but also to get better compression and cooling - and shall not be burned at all when exiting the motor.
Nitro is normally the smallest amount of the 3 in an old engine like the Webra 6,5.
COMPETITION might indicate that there is slightly less oil than needed to the old motor but if you can find some ricin/castor and add a little it will be fine. Ricin could probably be found in a pharmacy - you will only need a little just for the fuel you are using at the moment - not for the gallon.
Cant you get any servos? Borrow from another plane/friends anything from 20 grams and up will do fine.
111224-01.JPG

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Yeah, I could pluck them out of the Tiger Trainer 40 hanging in my basement. I suppose I could also use its engine. It has a .40 size GP.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Both of the engines are GP - normal every day use.
I dont have the formula for your "competition fuel" but it will do in any case.
The expected 100s of running hours without wear might possible be reduced - but cant tell.
A google of omega got me to a Chinese page telling 17% oil and a mix with "genuine castor".
Did not however say anything about "competition" other than that QQ uses it.
From FAI (0%) up to 40% nitro was what i found - but there should be something telling on your gallon.
http://www.cn-morganfuel.com/omega_blends.htm

Just fly with any of the motors without worrying to much.

earthsciteach

I'll fire her up, then! I'm going to stick with the Webra. Now I just have to get over my fear of that scary prop!