Too Much Power on FT Flyer?

Donity

I think I made a mistake by getting a 1400KV motor, and then I also bought a 3s 2200mah for the FT flyer.

I know its going to be a bit rough, but how will this all work out? Can I just go at a small bit of throttle to fly slowly around a big park with a baseball field, or will this thing be too heavy and too fast. I don't want to switch out the motor, but I tried "calculating" the flight time and it seemed that with a 1000mah battery it'd only last 2 minutes.

Need some advice.

Bifi.baarlo

I think I made a mistake by getting a 1400KV motor, and then I also bought a 3s 2200mah for the FT flyer.

I know its going to be a bit rough, but how will this all work out? Can I just go at a small bit of throttle to fly slowly around a big park with a baseball field, or will this thing be too heavy and too fast. I don't want to switch out the motor, but I tried "calculating" the flight time and it seemed that with a 1000mah battery it'd only last 2 minutes.

Need some advice.
How big is the motor? we can't guess the size of the motor and give an opinion, the lipo seems a little heavy for the plane.

skymaster

Elite member
that motor is meant to run on a slow prop your battery is a bit to heavy. maybe not just make sure you put a slow fly prop. warning that plane is a prop killer. i used to use a prop saver on that plane.

Donity

How big is the motor? we can't guess the size of the motor and give an opinion, the lipo seems a little heavy for the plane.
Here are the specs:
A2212 1400KV 10T brushless outrunner motor

KV: 1400 10T
Max. efficiency: 80%
Max. efficiency current: 4-10A (>75%)
Current capacity: 12A/60s
No Load current @ 10V: 0.5A
No. of cells: 2-3 Li-Poly
Motor size: 27.5 * 27mm / 1.1 * 1.1in
Shaft diameter: 3.17mm / 0.1in
Weight: 48g / 1.7oz

Donity

that motor is meant to run on a slow prop your battery is a bit to heavy. maybe not just make sure you put a slow fly prop. warning that plane is a prop killer. i used to use a prop saver on that plane.
What's a slow fly prop?

Tench745

Master member
What's a slow fly prop?
A slow-fly prop has wider blades and a heavily cambered airfoil to give a lot of thrust for slow-flying models.
Compare the first picture, an 8x6 prop from APC with the second picture, an 8x6 slow-fly prop also from APC.
LP08040.jpg
LP08038SF.jpg

Donity

A slow-fly prop has wider blades and a heavily cambered airfoil to give a lot of thrust for slow-flying models.
Compare the first picture, an 8x6 prop from APC with the second picture, an 8x6 slow-fly prop also from APC.
LP08040.jpg
LP08038SF.jpg
I see. My prop looks like a slowfly prop:
1659742161520.png
but it also has two different ones, a tractor and a pusher.

Tench745

Master member
I see. My prop looks like a slowfly prop: View attachment 229101 but it also has two different ones, a tractor and a pusher.
Ah, I see. Your prop isn’t a slow-fly prop it’s just an APC style prop. The slow-fly has really thin blades near the hub and wide, rounded blades near the tip.
Your props have nice, sturdy blades near the hub that flare out and then thin back down towards the tips. It’s more efficient for use with electric motors on lower drag airplanes. It should still work okay for an FT Flyer

Donity

Ah, I see. Your prop isn’t a slow-fly prop it’s just an APC style prop. The slow-fly has really thin blades near the hub and wide, rounded blades near the tip.
Your props have nice, sturdy blades near the hub that flare out and then thin back down towards the tips. It’s more efficient for use with electric motors on lower drag airplanes. It should still work okay for an FT Flyer
Alright. Could you recommend some cheap slow props?

mbrownkcmo

Alright. Could you recommend some cheap slow props?
For your 1400kv motor I would suggest valuehobby.com and grab some 8x6 GWS-style props. Then add some prop-saver adapters that use an o-ring to secure the prop. These props are ultra cheap and the prop-saver will stretch them even further.
You might look into what the smallest battery for your power setup might be. For the flyer, most of your AUW is the motor and battery, and lighter is better. I used a 2208 1400kv with a 650mah 3S and it's a rocket with the 8x6, long flight times, too.
Lots of fun for very little effort.