Tool suggestions please

Zeligman

Hi everyone.. Getting so much great help from a ll of you! I need some tool recommendations. If you could list make/model I'd really appreciate it!

1) a pair of low energy (or energy assist) wire cutters /snips for control wires and landing gear wires. ( i have limited hand strength)

2) I've discovered that the ft linkage stoppers don't fit into the control arms... I've been using a dremel and then a screw to widen the holes but have ruined a ton of the plastic arms. What do you do for that?

3)loctite recommendations?

Thank you for your assist!

-z

Tench745

Master member
Hi everyone.. Getting so much great help from a ll of you! I need some tool recommendations. If you could list make/model I'd really appreciate it!

1) a pair of low energy (or energy assist) wire cutters /snips for control wires and landing gear wires. ( i have limited hand strength)

2) I've discovered that the ft linkage stoppers don't fit into the control arms... I've been using a dremel and then a screw to widen the holes but have ruined a ton of the plastic arms. What do you do for that?

3)loctite recommendations?

Thank you for your assist!

-z
1) Dremel with a cutoff wheel. And/or a small pair of bolt cutters, but the dremel will do a cleaner job.
2) Heat your wire and push it through the hole while still hot. You can also get a set of welding tip drills that make small holes.
3) Blue LocTite is most all you'll ever need. Don't use it on plastic parts because it will eat them (make them brittle). Red LocTite is designed to need heat to break it free.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Tench745, the Dremel with a cutoff wheal is what I use for music wire.

For linkage stoppers, I prefer the Great Plane brand, they are square, which makes them easier to grip with pliers, they have a hex head, much easier to tighten than a phillips head and they have a press on back that will not vibrate off and yet it will allow the stopper to pivot. No need for LocTite.
F1E62A36-2504-41DC-8E62-325C196EA3D7.gif

Zeligman

1) Dremel with a cutoff wheel. And/or a small pair of bolt cutters, but the dremel will do a cleaner job.
2) Heat your wire and push it through the hole while still hot. You can also get a set of welding tip drills that make small holes.
3) Blue LocTite is most all you'll ever need. Don't use it on plastic parts because it will eat them (make them brittle). Red LocTite is designed to need heat to break it free.

Its not the wire it's the shaft of the linkage stoppers...

dahacker

You only require a single linkage stopper to allow for adjustment as a "Z" bend is used to locate the other end. My question is why do people butcher the servo arm and struggle with adjustment in the fuselage when it is easier to fit the linkage stoppers on the control horn?

Just my thoughts!

Fitting the linkage stoppers on the FT plywood control horns can be a bit sketchy too. Also the offset of the connection point due to the linkage stoppers, sometimes is more than some desire.

Zeligman

You only require a single linkage stopper to allow for adjustment as a "Z" bend is used to locate the other end. My question is why do people butcher the servo arm and struggle with adjustment in the fuselage when it is easier to fit the linkage stoppers on the control horn?

Just my thoughts!
Uhhh it never occurred to me to do it that way... And it's obvious! Lol will do that next... Ty!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

Just my thoughts!

That's what I do - and I 3D print my own control horns, so I can resize the holes accordingly before printing. If I print one and need to make the hole a little bigger, I use an exacto knife with a #11 blade, insert the pointy end, and rotate it a bit to chamfer the hole enough to get the linkage stopper through. I know it seems odd, but it's worked great so far. :)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I can't find a link to the one I have, but look for a pin vise hand drill. Most of them come with a variety of bit sizes. I use mine all the time for control horns and servo arms. Here is a picture of the one I have.

1591977027930.png