Toothless from "How to train your dragon"

Tortillon

Hello all!

I have seen some version of Toothless popping here and there, and decided to try it out.

I want to target the same characteristics than goatboy29, and I hope mine will fly as good as his :) (I fell like mine maybe a bit overweight...) First fly is scheduled in two weeks with my nephews :)

Here some photographies of my version :

IMG_20170803_131114.jpg IMG_20170803_131116.jpg IMG_20170803_131112.jpg IMG_20170803_131119.jpg

Bruno.

JP FPV

Wow those are some intricate bends.
How did you design that?

Hope to see a video soon of how it flies.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I STILL have yet to see that movie and here people are building real flying versions.. SOOOOO behind the times here.

Well at least when I see the maiden I can pretend I saw the movie?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sure :)

The main thing I remember is How to Train Your Dragon 2 was released for Father's Day Weekend. Family took me to see it. About 1/3 of the way into the movie they killed the father off. Ouch! :confused:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This is why some species eat the young before they have a chance to do that. Did you not learn from medieval history with the children poisoning the king and killing off rival siblings how that all works. :p I would eye the motives of them taking you to that particular movie.. They may be after your planes. Be afraid.. be VERY afraid. :rolleyes:

Tortillon

PsyBorg, too much Game of Throne for you ;).

Concerning the design, in real life I'm a CAD designer. I work usually with Inventor and in this case I made an extensive use of the sheet metal tools.

Here some beauty shot made with Inventor of the Nightfury :

render_flitetest.jpg render_flitetest01.jpg render_flitetest03.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Game of what? Is that a video game or tv shows or??? I do very little TV so I am way behind on things if that is the case. If its a game I have not heard of it specially if its a browser based one.

Are those pictures show it encased in clear plastic to make it more aerodynamic or because of the lights I THINK I see?

Tortillon

For the clear plastic, it's just me fiddling with the foamboard appearance on Inventor. Usually the workspace of Inventor looks like that :

render_flitetest04.JPG

For Game of Throne, it's a TV series.

Last edited:

Tortillon

Hi all,

Ok, so we found time to test her, after some fiddling with the COG position and wing incidence, she flew ! Went quite high just with 75% of the thrust.

But sadly I had a glitch of some sort, I can't really figure out what happened. She went full speed in the ground, couldn't do anyhing to correct the trajectory. The wing is still in good shape, but the fuselage is done.

She will fly again ! For the short flights we did, I can say that the V-tail isn't big enough, and I noted the wing incidence. The servos in the the wings are fine but I'll take some 9gr instead of the 5gr I used for the Vtail.

It's a shame I couldn't even do some low pass in front of the kids, they would have loved it ;) ! I had my smartphone running the music "Dragon Training" from the original soundtrack of the movie.

I'm not done ;-).

Last edited: