Top Gun Simpli E-ZEE Trainer

I bought this a while ago as a replacement airframe for my super Cub LP.

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_32&products_id=5691

After finding it the other day I was going to sell it, but I used an RC sim to remind me of how much fun the Super Cub was and want one all over again. After looking through all my motors and parts I realised I could build this out of the bits that I already had with the included 380 brushed motor or a 2200Kv inrunner I had. The calculations worked out well with the inrunner on 2cells and it weighed about the same as the brushed original. More power has to be better right?

So I built it with a little deviation from the plans here and there. As it's an ARTF and I don't have a good bench facility I had to rely on the airframe being straight, it wasn't totally. But given the Crash-A-Minute nature of my flying and the fact that I'm returning to flight after a break, it's probably best not to get too precious about airframes and they soon end up twisted and messy.

Here she is:

Now I just need to maiden her. Do you guys think the rubber bang motor mount will hold or would zip ties be a better option?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Beautiful job, she'll be a nice flyer!

Um, I'm not sure, I might go with putting masking tape around the motor can and then sparingly hot gluing it in. I don't know how Zip ties would work on a motor that smooth, so you could also cover the motor can with masking tape and then zip tie it on to give the ties something to grip.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I do NOT think that rubber bang motor mount will do.
Zip ties combined with epoxy ;-)
If possible - try to glue some alu cooling fins on the motor - those inrunners normally get hot.
The plane looks really nice. Make a straight symmetical wing with ailerons får sport flying.

NewZee

looks like she will be a nice flyer +1 on "Pgerts" idea you could make a FT foam board wing with ailerons, and put on this fuselage for a 4 channel plane!

new york flyer

MMmm rubber band holding motor.. sounds like one of those auto windups like the rubber band planes.

Best to strap that puppy in. Remember the counter torque effect :p glue effective with strap but replacing the motor later small headache.

Best invest in one of these for a buck.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9082__Alloy_Gas_to_E_Conversion_Mount_43_42mm_.html

I bought this a while ago as a replacement airframe for my super Cub LP.

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_32&products_id=5691

After finding it the other day I was going to sell it, but I used an RC sim to remind me of how much fun the Super Cub was and want one all over again. After looking through all my motors and parts I realised I could build this out of the bits that I already had with the included 380 brushed motor or a 2200Kv inrunner I had. The calculations worked out well with the inrunner on 2cells and it weighed about the same as the brushed original. More power has to be better right?

So I built it with a little deviation from the plans here and there. As it's an ARTF and I don't have a good bench facility I had to rely on the airframe being straight, it wasn't totally. But given the Crash-A-Minute nature of my flying and the fact that I'm returning to flight after a break, it's probably best not to get too precious about airframes and they soon end up twisted and messy.

Here she is:

Now I just need to maiden her. Do you guys think the rubber bang motor mount will hold or would zip ties be a better option?

I got a chance to fly this bird at the weekend and it was a good way to return to the hobby. It flew well, but struggled with wind due to being very light. The thrust angle is not set up correctly at all and the aircraft pitched up aggressive under power. I couldn't see an easy way to adjust the thrust angle so I programmed in a Throttle > Elevator Mix putting 20% down elevator at 100% throttle, I'll see how that goes? I also modified the battery compartment to make changing the battery easier and while I was there I hot glued the ESC battery plug externally, allowing me to make the aircraft safe without removing the wing. After all, trainers are supposed to be ugly hacks.