Total newby.

DaneB

I am interested in the duck. I have no knowledge of the flight control servos etc. I see in one bundle offering that the servos are analog. Is it to be concerned regarding digital possibilities in future? What about controllers? Are they accepting both analog and digital?
I am pilot with 430 approximately hours but had to stop flying due to arthritis. So then, I hope that this builder forum will scratch that aviation itch.
I live in Tacoma WA and really hope for some friendly and helpful feedback.
Thank you, Dane

bigdano711

Welcome to the family, DaneB. Do you have any RC experience? Cars, trucks or otherwise?

When you say "controller", are you talking about the transmitter (Tx) that you hold in your hand to control the vehicle or receiver (Rx), that which the servo is plugged into? Or, the electronic speed control (ESC)?

You can use digital servos if you like, for the most part, but if you just buy the "Power Pack", everything works. I have Power Pack "C" and everything works great.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
digital servos and analog servos both take PWM inputs, the different has to do with the hardware inside them. If your just starting out, I wouldn't worry about the different as the different doesn't matter for most use cases.

Most fixed wing stuff does not need a flight controller. Just like maned aircraft, most RC Craft are inherently stable (get it correctly trimmed and it will fly straight and level). Only place were you might want/worry about one is if you want the electronic assistance (Return to home, auto level, some things like that).

if your talking about this: <https://store.flitetest.com/ft-sea-duck-wr-1422mm/> the recommended power pack is exactly the right electronics for it. You would still need to supply a TX, RX (looks like 6+ channels), battery, and basic crafting supplies [hot glue gun, some sort of hobby knife, tape, pliers, screwdrivers].

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.
A super good contest level pilot may need a digital servo. Analog servos are perfectly fine for us mere mortals. We can’t even detect the slight difference between the two.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Welcome! Its always good to see another PNWer on the forums. I just want to caution you, however... building and flying model foamboard airplanes can be highly addictive. The Build List is never satisfied. Most of us are limited only by our storage space and budgets. If you find every nook and cranny of your domicile has a plane stuffed in it, seek professional help!

DaneB

Welcome to the family, DaneB. Do you have any RC experience? Cars, trucks or otherwise?

When you say "controller", are you talking about the transmitter (Tx) that you hold in your hand to control the vehicle or receiver (Rx), that which the servo is plugged into? Or, the electronic speed control (ESC)?

You can use digital servos if you like, for the most part, but if you just buy the "Power Pack", everything works. I have Power Pack "C" and everything works great.

Small RC experience trucks and boats. Yes, I am talking about (TX)mitter. Also, is speed control not part of transmitter? I like what you say about "power pack". How does that relate to transmitter?
Welcome! Its always good to see another PNWer on the forums. I just want to caution you, however... building and flying model foamboard airplanes can be highly addictive. The Build List is never satisfied. Most of us are limited only by our storage space and budgets. If you find every nook and cranny of your domicile has a plane stuffed in it, seek professional help!

That is very funny! However... it is too late. I will have to photograph my balsa stick fuselage glider with air hog main wing and tail feathers. it is to laugh but glides very well.
DaneB

Tench745

Master member
Small RC experience trucks and boats. Yes, I am talking about (TX)mitter. Also, is speed control not part of transmitter? I like what you say about "power pack". How does that relate to transmitter?

The ESC (electronic speed control) is the bit of electronics in the plane that reads the signal from the receiver and tells the motor what to do. It might be worth your time to watch through the FT beginner series on YouTube. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6IuSFWz4ktvupu_gxw1vn-sjBGOkJFHV
It is starting to get a little dated and doesn't have all the answers, but it gives a good foundation for someone just starting out in the hobby to build on.

Bricks

Master member
The ESC (electronic speed control) is the bit of electronics in the plane that reads the signal from the receiver and tells the motor what to do. It might be worth your time to watch through the FT beginner series on YouTube. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6IuSFWz4ktvupu_gxw1vn-sjBGOkJFHV
It is starting to get a little dated and doesn't have all the answers, but it gives a good foundation for someone just starting out in the hobby to build on.

Excellent advice keep it simple and basic to start with the rest digital servos analog servos and techy stuff can come later.