Tough Tilt Tricopter Build

jtbluefeather

So, I'm still a green newbie at building, but I had fun finally getting my tri into the air. I have a battery question... Here's my setup... I've got the Emax CF2822's spinning 8x4.5 props, Turnigy plush 25A esc's, and a KK2.1 board, and I'm using a 5000mAH 3S, 20-30c battery with it. It flies great and nothing is warm when I land, but is that battery asking for trouble down the line?

In the newbie battery video, the guys say the mAH is like the size of the gas tank, so I got the battery along with some 2250's to try for longer flight times. Is my reasoning sound on this? Or wishful thinking...

Another question, any recommendations for prop savers for the CF2822's? I had a prop spin off last night due to prop saver failure. Everything is fine but the servo, which I can replace. But I'd like to avoid the unintentional aerobatics in the future. (Although the 2 1/2 rolls to the crash site was pretty spectacular!) Anything you guys have found that is tried, tested and trusted?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've spent a good deal of time today fighting prop savers on fixed wing that were ejecting the props either at 100% throttle on 2s, or much much sooner on 3s - so it was definitely a factor of speed causing that little rubber band to go bye-bye.

I am thinking of buying some folding props to try instead of the savers - cause honestly, I am finding that props are only lasting 2 or 3 belly landings even when the prop saver doesn't eject the prop. I went through a pack of 10 7035's in two days of flying, and the airframes are still fine. Just keep snapping props.

So back on the folding props, HK has some neat looking mounts - but only in the international store of course.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=62420

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Success! I've had enough flights with this (about 6 or 7) to say that it works quite well! I'm flying line of sight only right now, but plan to try my hand at FPV eventually. It can "speck out" pretty easily, so I've tried a couple visual aids to help orientation.

But I'm having lots of fun flying with it and getting better! Once I'm really secure with my handling, I'll be adding a camera tray and tossing the action cam up in the air. :)