Transfer to foamboard

Paulieb1979

So I am a newbie to building but for my third plane I found that tracing the outer edges of each piece with Elmer's glue stick press it down then cut it out. When it's all cut out you can just pull off the paper. But you dont get to keep template. But it saves time.

Attachments

• 20200507_124519.jpg
    20200507_124519.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I see this discussion come up now & then. People using 3M spray adhesive and stuff. For me - the way I work, and your results may vary - it's a no brainer. I roughly cut each piece a bit big, and I cut a couple little windows out of the paper right within the shape with my blade, maybe 3/8"x3/4" or so. Place the paper piece where I want it on the foam and tape it down with masking tape, the good stuff, the blue 3M masking tape, through the windows. I use a small steel edge to cut my edges through the paper and the foam, and freehand the curves. The tape pulls away clean every time. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Oh I never tried to make templates from foam pieces, but if you have the pdf you never need to. As long as you can get to a printer.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’m a huge fan of using elemer’s spray adhesive. I spray the board and then set the plans on it and let it dry. I love that I can cut on any line without worrying about cutting tape that will let the piece shift. I can cut everything out and have the plans on - then I can peel iff the plans when I’m done making all the score cuts. I won’t ever go back!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I’m a huge fan of using elemer’s spray adhesive. I spray the board and then set the plans on it and let it dry. I love that I can cut on any line without worrying about cutting tape that will let the piece shift. I can cut everything out and have the plans on - then I can peel iff the plans when I’m done making all the score cuts. I won’t ever go back!

does this leave sticky surface on the foam board?
ever have issues with it trying to take the paper with?

Captain Video

The only downside i find is if you leave the plans on the FB overnight you will not be able to remove it cleanly. Not a huge deal. If you paint it only you will know. I still use the spray on glue as suggested in earlier posts

JClaude

I see this discussion come up now & then. People using 3M spray adhesive and stuff. For me - the way I work, and your results may vary - it's a no brainer. I roughly cut each piece a bit big, and I cut a couple little windows out of the paper right within the shape with my blade, maybe 3/8"x3/4" or so. Place the paper piece where I want it on the foam and tape it down with masking tape, the good stuff, the blue 3M masking tape, through the windows. I use a small steel edge to cut my edges through the paper and the foam, and freehand the curves. The tape pulls away clean every time. I wouldn't do it any other way.

I use approx the same way to cut pieces. I always print two copies of the plans. I use one for cutting, and another as backup. Then, as mention by "Monte.C" here above, I cut each piece roughly around. I place them on foam board by using non-permanent repositionable glue roller, for instant adhesion and removable bonding. After cutting thru the paper, I remove the piece of paper easly. If there are traces of glue, I remove them with household alcohol (methanol).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
does this leave sticky surface on the foam board?
ever have issues with it trying to take the paper with?
It doesn’t leave any sticky stuff on the paper, but it does leave a little roughness on the paper. It’s not really visible, but it does make the paper slightly harder to peel off if you’re doing something like a master series build, but the ease of cutting makes it well worth it IMO.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

That's what I do! Although, i HAVE learned to either layer it very lightly, so that the paper will tack to the foamboard, allow me to make my cuts, and then lift up afterwards. I've done this because in the past, I've had the paper lift on me when doing things like A Folds and B Folds, so they don't actually hold together. Because of that, I'm leery of having the paper stuck, and if I can peel it up without removing the paper stuck to the foam itself, i do so.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That's what I do! Although, i HAVE learned to either layer it very lightly, so that the paper will tack to the foamboard, allow me to make my cuts, and then lift up afterwards. I've done this because in the past, I've had the paper lift on me when doing things like A Folds and B Folds, so they don't actually hold together. Because of that, I'm leery of having the paper stuck, and if I can peel it up without removing the paper stuck to the foam itself, i do so.
You were the one who introduced me to it actually! I do find that just spraying it pretty well then pasting the plans on right after, it sticks well but can come off when you're done cutting the foam.

danskis

Master member
For basic parts with straight edges, e.g. the versa wing or F22 parts, I tape the plan to the foam board and then stick a T-pin through at all the corners....just take the plan off and connect the dots to cut it out. If you need two of the same just use the one you just cut out as the template for the next one.

IMG_0806.JPG IMG_0807.JPG IMG_0808.JPG

chronix

The way I go about it is more labor intensive I think. I'll tape the tiles together, then tape to FB along the edges. Then I use something pointy and mark my score and bevel lines. After I cut the piece I use a ruler to connect the dots for my lines. It works for me but takes longer I should think.

The way I go about it is more labor intensive I think. I'll tape the tiles together, then tape to FB along the edges. Then I use something pointy and mark my score and bevel lines. After I cut the piece I use a ruler to connect the dots for my lines. It works for me but takes longer I should think.
Yeah for my first build I used a thumbtack a lot. Then I gave it up for the way I do it now. I just cut out these wings in only a couple minutes, and with as much precision as I'll ever get with any technique. And no templates and no spray glue.