Transfering printed plans to foam board

shythephotoguy

It's just a practice thing King Theodin88. The Arrow should line up perfectly but from what I've seen not many people get it spot on.

As far as general cutting goes, make sure to do your cuts in a few passes, don't try and push through paper and foam in one go. I'll usually pass over each cut at least 3-4 times before I go right through. Make sure your blades are sharp and held at an acute angle to the foamboard. For cutting corners and curves, don't try and follow the curve around. Cut straight lines past the curve, like so:
View attachment 71171
See how straight lines can make a curve? This technique HUGELY increased the neatness of my cuts. Good luck!

Don't forget the possibility to sand the corners even more round with 120~200 grid sandpaper. (maybe also suitable for inside curves?)

mybad

If you live near colleges or libraries with large format plotters, it's pretty cheap. I just printed out color full size plans for there baby Baron for $4

Here come's a stupid question, but HOW do you get the plans to the college, or library, or to a print shop? I would imagine that they wouldn't want to chance a virus from your usb stick. Do you email the file?

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Most professional printers will just run a quick virus scan on your USB drive before opening it. I used to manage the print shop at an Office Max and it was VERY common for people to bring their own drives in. You can also email the files but, from experience, they are not always monitoring their email so this may take a bit more time.

mybad

Most professional printers will just run a quick virus scan on your USB drive before opening it. I used to manage the print shop at an Office Max and it was VERY common for people to bring their own drives in. You can also email the files but, from experience, they are not always monitoring their email so this may take a bit more time.

Thanks!