Transition from Hobbyzone Champ to Tiny Trainer notes

EGTL

Howdy y'all! I found myself with some extra time a few months ago, so I decided to get back into the RC hobby after *cough* years off. I bought the Hobbyzone Champ to fly in a park near my house, but I knew I wanted to get into some Flite Test style builds.

I got the Tiny Trainer speed build kit, A power pack with the 6x3 props, some 3S 800mAh packs, and a DSMX receiver to use with the Champ's transmitter. Even though I had gotten really comfortable with the Hobbyzone product (and it really is amazing how easily that whole package gets you into the air), I found the TT's flight characteristics to be really hairy. This was with CG and control throws set as recommended. So, some notes and how I got it to fly how I wanted.

- Field size is important. My park is basically 2x2 baseball diamonds, so not even a full football field.
- Secure your receiver! The build videos don't talk about it, but mine slipped through the hole in the fuselage bottom. I frankly didn't deal with the "emergency" that well, rushed my landing, and cracked my prop.
- The 3S on the 1806 motor is a whole lot of power. Unfortunately, it's also a lot of weight. I was not comfortable with the speed and turning radius for my field
- I had a trend of seriously overcontrolling both elevator and rudder.

I made a few changes to my setup and I really love how it flies now!

- Jumper T8SG radio. 30% expo really makes it easier to be smooth on the controls. Throttle safety is also a nice feature - I was literally using a rubber band on the Hobbyzone transmitter.
- 2S 650 mAh packs and 7x4 HQ Slowfly prop. The lower weight seems to lead to lower speed and tighter turning radius appropriate to the park. I was not getting nearly enough thrust with the 6x3 prop included with the A power pack, but she's got some vertical with the 7x4. I did an 8 minute flight today and still had 3.8 volts/cell afterwards.
- Other lightening of the platform by cutting in some speed holes (they make the car go faster) and removing paper from the bottom of the wing
- Open top for ESC cooling and easier battery plug-in

Lastly, it is amazing that despite now flying well in a pretty small park, it handles gusty winds with aplomb. I'm not sure if it's the glider-style wing that allows for penetration through the air, but I felt in control even though the treetops were moving quite a lot. This is in sharp contrast to the Champ, which has to be flown at dawn to avoid all wind.

Fantastic design, but I wanted to put these notes out there to hopefully help reduce the learning curve for the next person who tries to fly it in a shoebox!

Attachments

• tiny trainer.jpg
    tiny trainer.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 0

slowjo

Master member
Howdy y'all! I found myself with some extra time a few months ago, so I decided to get back into the RC hobby after *cough* years off. I bought the Hobbyzone Champ to fly in a park near my house, but I knew I wanted to get into some Flite Test style builds.

I got the Tiny Trainer speed build kit, A power pack with the 6x3 props, some 3S 800mAh packs, and a DSMX receiver to use with the Champ's transmitter. Even though I had gotten really comfortable with the Hobbyzone product (and it really is amazing how easily that whole package gets you into the air), I found the TT's flight characteristics to be really hairy. This was with CG and control throws set as recommended. So, some notes and how I got it to fly how I wanted.

- Field size is important. My park is basically 2x2 baseball diamonds, so not even a full football field.
- Secure your receiver! The build videos don't talk about it, but mine slipped through the hole in the fuselage bottom. I frankly didn't deal with the "emergency" that well, rushed my landing, and cracked my prop.
- The 3S on the 1806 motor is a whole lot of power. Unfortunately, it's also a lot of weight. I was not comfortable with the speed and turning radius for my field
- I had a trend of seriously overcontrolling both elevator and rudder.

I made a few changes to my setup and I really love how it flies now!

- Jumper T8SG radio. 30% expo really makes it easier to be smooth on the controls. Throttle safety is also a nice feature - I was literally using a rubber band on the Hobbyzone transmitter.
- 2S 650 mAh packs and 7x4 HQ Slowfly prop. The lower weight seems to lead to lower speed and tighter turning radius appropriate to the park. I was not getting nearly enough thrust with the 6x3 prop included with the A power pack, but she's got some vertical with the 7x4. I did an 8 minute flight today and still had 3.8 volts/cell afterwards.
- Other lightening of the platform by cutting in some speed holes (they make the car go faster) and removing paper from the bottom of the wing
- Open top for ESC cooling and easier battery plug-in

Lastly, it is amazing that despite now flying well in a pretty small park, it handles gusty winds with aplomb. I'm not sure if it's the glider-style wing that allows for penetration through the air, but I felt in control even though the treetops were moving quite a lot. This is in sharp contrast to the Champ, which has to be flown at dawn to avoid all wind.

Fantastic design, but I wanted to put these notes out there to hopefully help reduce the learning curve for the next person who tries to fly it in a shoebox!
thanx for sharing, thats what its all about :cool:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Try moving the CG 1/4 inch forward.

At FF19, I shared a build table with 3 noobs. Each was building the TT form a kit. All 3 were balanced at the recommended CG spot. All 3 were tail heavy. When we moved the CG forward 1/4 inch, they flew great.

EGTL

Try moving the CG 1/4 inch forward.

At FF19, I shared a build table with 3 noobs. Each was building the TT form a kit. All 3 were balanced at the recommended CG spot. All 3 were tail heavy. When we moved the CG forward 1/4 inch, they flew great.

Thanks Merv. It tips forward gently with my fingers under the CG marks and flies nicely right now. If anything, it was slightly more nose-heavy on the 3 cell since I could only jam the things back so far. I am using full up trim though and still have to hold in some up elevator to keep straight and level at half throttle. I'm actually thinking about trying a slightly more aft CG, and if that doesn't work I'll try propping up the leading edge with a popsicle stick.

EGTL

All right, gotten in some more flying. Propping the leading edge seemed to help the trim a lot. I tried a full roll with the rudder, couldn't get it back upright, but no real damage after landing inverted. Flown a few more times since and will probably throw on the aileron wing after practicing on the Pica sim a little more.

I do have a question though. The drag of the windmilling prop isn't ideal for trying to glide. I've got the Flite Test 20A ESC and tried using a BLHeli guide for programming with the transmitter to turn on the prop brake, but even though I get the musical "123 beep" to let me know I'm in programming mode with the throttle all the way up, it never gives the beeps for each programming function. Instead, if I move the throttle down, it just continues with throttle endpoint calibration. Anyone have success programming FliteTest branded ESCs with the transmitter?

EGTL

Finally had a chance to try out the aileron wing at my local AMA field! It's definitely got a higher stall speed than the poly wing, but I think my ailerons are rigged with a little reflex. I'll change them up to add some camber. I'm running a 4 channel receiver, so no proper flap mixing just yet.

I also threw in a 3 cell battery again, this time in the fuselage instead of under the motor. She seems to slow down nicely and still has unlimited vertical, but I think I'd better back off to the 6x3 prop next time. Motor and battery both seemed warm after the flight.
tiny trainer in the trunk.jpg

EGTL

First flight of the season today. Rigging some downward deflection into the ailerons made a world of difference! If there's any additional adverse yaw with this setup, I can't tell. The stall speed seems much more manageable, but 3 cell flight (with 6x3 prop) is more comfortable than 2 cell (7x4) flight thanks to the extra speed and power available. I guess that's why they call it a speed wing. But, I've done a few (sloppy) squirrel cages and a one turn spin, so I'm pretty happy. Will probably stick with polyhedral wing for the park.