Solved Transmitter aerial/antenna

OlliePackman

Just purchased a second hand spektrum dx6i of ebay for my grandad to get into the hobby. It arrived and it is mode 1 so I had to take the back off to change the spring to the other gimbal before programming it to mode 2 blah blah blah... Whilst the cover was off, I noticed that the antenna cable had snapped at the connector. I'm pretty sure this means that it will never work again but if it doesn't please tell me how to fix it. Otherwise, I need to know where I can source a new antenna in the UK. The only genuine spektrum replacement costs a ton from the US so I'm wandering if the antennas are universal? Or if I need a specific one to the spektrum dx6i.

OlliePackman

Also, do I even need an antenna if the broke transmitter is being used as a slave unit on the buddy lead? I want to go flying with him on Friday and would be great for him to use his own Tx even if his antenna doesn't work. What I mean is when you are buddying, is it only the master Tx antenna that transmits or both?

Piotrsko

Master member
1: you can use the broken antenna transmitter as the slave as is for now but check operation before you launch.

2: pretty much anything that fits will work as a replacement with the same connector on the wire end or antenna proper. I can to on and on about SWR,reflections, power matching, yada yada, but the only thing you'll notice is reduced range and drop outs which may or may not be antenna related. Do a range test with a friend and if you can't visually orient the plane you have enough range

OlliePackman

1: you can use the broken antenna transmitter as the slave as is for now but check operation before you launch.

2: pretty much anything that fits will work as a replacement with the same connector on the wire end or antenna proper. I can to on and on about SWR,reflections, power matching, yada yada, but the only thing you'll notice is reduced range and drop outs which may or may not be antenna related. Do a range test with a friend and if you can't visually orient the plane you have enough range
What is the connector called for the antenna?

Piotrsko

Master member
It's dissapating 100mw, not a lot of heat even for a chip transmitter. Back emf caused by crappy VSWR could crispy it, but from what I've seen with kids doing all sorts of odd stuff to their toys, it just doesn't transmit very far. I think they are diode protected anyways.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The antenna on my DX8 broke, repaired it a time or two, eventually the coax broke. Of course, HH no longer supports their old gear so you have to buy a new radio (at least that's what they want to happen). I 3D printed a pigtail mount, ordered a pigtail, and then screwed on a 2.4ghz rubber ducky. Problem solved. No longer have that cheap, easy to break, hard to replace, junk stock antenna. :-D
IMG_20210331_114228049.jpg

OlliePackman

After everything, I was sold a transmitter with really bad stick drift and an axis which wasn't working. I've sent it back so I needn't of bought a replacement but oh well.