Transmitter and Reciever Considerations/FPV tx/rx

michaelscote

In general, what model RC tx/rx does someone recomend? Do you really need alot of channels? What do you look for? I am kind of amazed of how much selection you have out there, not too sure what I really need in a transmitter/reciever. I want to do Long range FPV I also am looking into the audio/video transmitter/reciever setup as well.

bitogre

In general, what model RC tx/rx does someone recomend? Do you really need alot of channels? What do you look for? I am kind of amazed of how much selection you have out there, not too sure what I really need in a transmitter/reciever. I want to do Long range FPV I also am looking into the audio/video transmitter/reciever setup as well.

I think number of channels should be the least of your concerns. My most complicated plane is the FMS Fox Motor Glider. On it, I am using 7 channels (ESC, Elevator, Rudder, independent Aileron, and independent flaps). The only cases where I see needing more than 7 channels on RX is for a plane with pan & tilt FPV and independent Aileron and flaps. But that is a rare plane. So, in a majority of cases, you really do not need more than 6 channels and you can often get by with just 4 channels.

However, a good computerize radio is probably more important. On my gliders (both the Fox mentioned above and my DLG), I have complex mixes (camber, differential aileron, flaperon). I am not sure you can get a decent glider setup on a 6 channel radio but I am talking advanced models. For these advanced models, you need to look at the number of mixes you can use/create. The people I know who fly DLG and other advanced gliders use a DX8 or better as they have more mixes. I use a FrSky Taranis X9D which is difficult to setup but can handle these advanced models with ease as it has nearly unlimited mixes (especially when you look at what other radios call a mix).

Another thing to consider when looking at the TX is protocol support. This defines what receivers you can use and, in the case of BNF aircraft, the BNF aircraft you can use the radio with. Most BNF (especially those with SAFE or AS3X) use the Spektrum protocol DSMX/DSM2. That means you need to use a Spektrum radio or a radio that supports a JR Module (there are many JR Module options to support DSMX/DSM2 including DIY). My Taranis does have a JR Module that I use a DIY module to add DSMX/DSM2 support. Both DSMX/DSM2 and the FrSky ACCST have wide range of compatible receivers at many price points and are the most common. DSM2 is not reliable in environments with a lot of RF interference (from other radios and/or WiFi) but DMSX is good and so is FrSky ACCST. There are other protocols used by other brands. Of them, I would personally stick to Futaba and Graupner as those are the only other I know are reliable.

For long range, you want a 433MHz module. As far as I know, no radio comes with 443MHz modules. They can be used with almost any radio plugging into the Trainer port though they also come in a JR Module form factor.

I do love my Taranis and highly recommend it or the cheaper Taranis Q X7. However, I do not recommend it for beginners due to it not being intuitive to use. For a good beginner radio, I would look at a DX6 (or variant there of). But, when looking for your second radio, I strongly suggest looking at the FrSky Taranis line of radios.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Persnally I think I'll be good for life with my DX-7. It has more channels and model memories than I currently need or even expect to use though if/when I build my P-3 I might need those channels.

Solid advice above. If you can afford $150-$200 for a radio, you too might find one that will last you for many many years. If that is too much however, then you'll want to decide what you most want in that radio.

As you consider your options do a search on the radios you are considering within this forum and also on YouTube and you'll find posts that should help you make an informed decision. By all means, keep asking question. This community thrives on helping others.