Transmitter & Motor Spin Ups

debashish

I am building a quad and assembled it up. Specs below

DYS 30A Brushless Speed Controller ESC Simonk Firmware for Multicopter
GT2205 2300KV Brushless DC Motor - Silver Cap (CCW Motor Rotation)
Flysky FS-i6X 2.4GHz 6CH AFHDS 2A RC Transmitter With FS-iA10B 2.4GHz 10CH Receiver
Flip32 OMNIBUS F4 Flight Controller

I am facing some serious issues which is stopping me to make the build a success.

Problem 1:
In the Motors tab of betaflight the motors only spin-up from 1980-2000 values
prob-1.png

Problem 2:
When I arm the motors using the transmitter the initial state is following when the throttle is minimum.
prob-2.png

Problem 3:
On increasing the throttle the values for only 2 motors go up and as the value to spin the motors i.e., Problem 1 is very high it finally ends up spinning only one motors.
prob-3.png

Problem 4:
When I change the throttle on the transmitter all motors seems to stuck at their values forever doesn't responds to throttle increase or decrease.

Can someone point me where or what has gone wrong and why its not working, I am struggling since last 4-5 weeks I have gone through lot of videos but unable to find a resolution.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ihichi Bolls

If you did all that with the quads sitting on a bench then it is notmal behavior.

What is happening is the fc is not perfectly level on the table so it makes an adjustment to try to make it level.

When that adjustment fails it does another and another. It will hunt to try to get level.

If you lift it ofg the table it chills out and starts reacting to the movement of your hand.

If you did proper throttle calibration, set all your channel centers and end points and are sure the motors are spinning in the correct directions it should fly

debashish

@
If you did all that with the quads sitting on a bench then it is notmal behavior.

What is happening is the fc is not perfectly level on the table so it makes an adjustment to try to make it level.

When that adjustment fails it does another and another. It will hunt to try to get level.

If you lift it ofg the table it chills out and starts reacting to the movement of your hand.

If you did proper throttle calibration, set all your channel centers and end points and are sure the motors are spinning in the correct directions it should fly

Can you please check these below, I have done them as per the tutorials.

a0.png

a1.png

Also, if I am asking you too much, could you please provide me some information as per the problems above. Appreciate it thanks!

Ihichi Bolls

I see several questionable things going on.

Im not sure with betaflight filters as I have yet to need to change anything for my builds. I see several settings for biquad... thats a two motor craft not four. If you changed filters i suggest starting over by defaulting everything and go back to basics.

After defaulting both betaflight and your radio including trim switches begin by looking at the receiver tab and set all your channel settings to 1500. I see in your picture pitch is wayyyyyy off center. This is done in sub trim menu.

Then you need to make sure all end points are set to 1000 for low and 2000 for high at full stick deflection.

Leave all filters at default until you get the craft in the air and find you NEED to change things. Cookie cutter settings from someone elses build can fry your gear in a heartbeat if its wrong for your particular build.

debashish

I see several questionable things going on.

Im not sure with betaflight filters as I have yet to need to change anything for my builds. I see several settings for biquad... thats a two motor craft not four. If you changed filters i suggest starting over by defaulting everything and go back to basics.

After defaulting both betaflight and your radio including trim switches begin by looking at the receiver tab and set all your channel settings to 1500. I see in your picture pitch is wayyyyyy off center. This is done in sub trim menu.

Then you need to make sure all end points are set to 1000 for low and 2000 for high at full stick deflection.

Leave all filters at default until you get the craft in the air and find you NEED to change things. Cookie cutter settings from someone elses build can fry your gear in a heartbeat if its wrong for your particular build.

Thanks for the reply.

I have started from the default settings for both betaflight as well as the transmitter will try once again to start from the beginning.

Can you help me with some links for betaflight for quads and transmitter settings.

Regards...

Ihichi Bolls

Betaflight is good enough now you dont really need to fiddle with anything unless you are flying on a pro level.

Its so good I recently fried two motors and a 4in1 esc when I lost some mitir screws and my motors were flopping around. Betaflight kept it smooth enough I never knew I had a problem until the smoke left the motors from over temp with insane changes that were happening.

If you set your chanbel centers and end points properly, do the esc calibration and make sure motors turn correct directions thats all you should need to do to get in the air the first time.

I am not familiar with flysky radios to tell you what buttons to press if you need that level of assistance. I know most radios have a sub trim menu and thats where all of the settings you need to do are other then setting up an arm switch and a flight mode switch.

If you are having problems after this send a private message to @ElectriSean as I jnow ge us more familiar with those radios then myself.

FDS

Elite member
Your points are still only 1980-2000? is that only in the motors tab? What happens if you arm it off the bench?
If you are running Betaflight 4.0 or newer then you can just change those in the command line. Also try
get min_check
This will tell you the min throttle value you have set.

debashish

Your points are still only 1980-2000? is that only in the motors tab? What happens if you arm it off the bench?
If you are running Betaflight 4.0 or newer then you can just change those in the command line. Also try
get min_check
This will tell you the min throttle value you have set.

Code:
Entering CLI Mode, type 'exit' to return, or 'help' # 
# Building AutoComplete Cache ... Done!
# 
# get min_check
min_check = 1050
Allowed range: 750 - 2250

Following is the min_check value

If you can please elaborate,

is that only in the motors tab? What happens if you arm it off the bench?

it would be of great help...thanks for replying.

FDS

Elite member
Does the quad actually work without being connected to Betaflight? Props OFF can you plug a battery in and arm it from the TX? When you move the throttle stick do the motors start to throttle up accordingly?
Did you calibrate those ESC’s? I don’t like the cheap old SimonK clone ESC’s very much, these days there are better, more powerful and smaller options.

FDS

Elite member
Well done.
Tuning is just going to be setting up your rates and any mode switches you might want. Joshua Bardwell has good set up videos.