Transmitter Stick Length

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I was thinking the other day about the transmitter stick limiters, rate limiting, expo, etc, when I remembered that at least on a Taranis, you can change the length of the sticks. I had mine set all the way to their shortest and I considered that as a new flier (with pretty big hands), perhaps lengthening the sticks would be a better idea. The longer the stick, the more throw is required in order to get a given control surface change.

I backed the top of the stick up until there are about five turns of engagement on the shaft, and then I raised up the lower part until everything was tight.

Thoughts? Can this be set on most transmitters? Any advice? I like the feel on the simulator, but haven't tried flying with the new stick lengths yet... too much wind/not enough time.

Thanks,

Mike

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Definitely something to experiment with and see what feels best. You can also buy replacement sticks that are longer or shorter than stock too if you want to try out even more length changes.

Personally, I've gotten happiest with the longest stick I can adjust it out to where my thumbs will still let me use the whole gimbal movement without needing to reposition my hands. I did also upgrade to a heavier spring to go along with the longer sticks too.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I use the pinch method and have trouble slipping off the sides of the sticks some times. I have debated modding an old set of metal darts I have as they are form fit specifically for better side grip. That and they also look cool as anything and could be a new trend for stick banger's. That would give me more length as well as multiple places to secure pinch holds. I have not tried this yet as my TX is new and I am not totally used to it. Not sure how much more or less sensitive the sticks would get with the added weight to move around.