Transmitters for beginners?

Bobo

Hello,

I am a 12yr. old and this is my first time building RC aircrafts. I am planning to build a SK450 quad copter and I am having trouble choosing the right transmitter and receiver. I have been looking at the 9X, 9XR, spectrum DX6i and the hobby king OrangeRX T-SIX. Please let me know your opinion on these transmitters. Also are there other transmitters that I should look at. I would also like some suggestions on receivers that fit with the transmitter. I am trying to keep the price for the transmitter under 200$.

Thanks for the help,

RoyBro

Mentor
For the money, I like the Turnigy 9x or 9xr. The 9xr has several has a lot of features that people modify on the 9x like LCD back light and programming port. It also has both Futaba and JR training ports, whereas the 9x only has the JR. But I like the classic looks of the 9x better than the 9xr. Also, if you are in the U.S, you can get the 9x from the USA warehouse. The 9xr is only available from the Hong Kong warehouse. If not in the U.S., it's not an issue.

I suggest getting the model without the module and then buying the FRSky DJT module. It costs a little more for the receivers, but the range is better.

Also look at the Frsky Taranis transmitter. It is like the next generation of the 9x but as it is fairly new, it's difficult to find. Also, it will run you around $200.

tramsgar

At your age you can figure anything out, so don't be afraid to get a "too complicated" radio. I'd stay away from OrangeRX T-SIX as it could prove too simplistic quite soon. Of course, budget applies... =). 9XR is not a bad advice. FR-Sky are good, new generation is just out (XJT and X8R) but that's quite high end and may not fit your budget. Should you go that way, you could either look for the Taranis or a 9XR/9X together the FR-Sky module/tx, depending on budget. 9X or 9XR with Spektrum DSMX would also serve your well.

The question pops up at least every week, and it comes down a lot to your needs, desires and requirements. If you tell us a bit more what you (do not) want and need, it'll be easier to choose.

Bobo

Thanks for the helpful answers. I am planning to upgrade my quad copter to do FPV. I have heard that the 9XR is not the best for FPV. Also is the Fr-Sky taranis out ? If so where can I buy it.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Right now it seems like nobody has the Taranis in stock. I have been on the waiting list for one for almost a month. If you find it in stock somewhere let us know!

Bobo

Also does this use a regular lipo battery and is it easy for me to program it. And are there any combo kits of the taranis which come with the X8R receiver in stock because I cant seem to find a place to buy the receiver.

Last edited:

tramsgar

At your age the "learn" button in the brain is stuck at "on", there's nothing you cannot learn if you so desire. From reviews I've read, the SW is easy to use, although you'd need to know WHAT you want to achieve. Most of the time, you can ignore features you do not currently use, thus the learning curve is not that steep. Take a look at the manual and see for yourself if you like it!

I haven't found any combo kits, perhaps there are, but most dealers carrying the Taranis also carry receivers. It's backwards compatible too, check out the specs page on frsky-rc.com to see which.

The battery included is a 6 cell NiMH, it'll probably do nicely.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The set I'm on the list for DOES come with an Rx, but I'm not sure what HK has. I know the normal retail on the radio only at Aloft was $179 and the combo was $199.

robschonk

I don't know why the 9XR would be worse than a 9X.

If you're good with a soldering iron, you can mod the 9X to allow the software to be upgraded. The 9XR comes with a port. I'd also advise using a Frsky module and receiver.

If you go down that road, it will be a long time before you outgrow your transmitter.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thanks for the helpful answers. I am planning to upgrade my quad copter to do FPV. I have heard that the 9XR is not the best for FPV. Also is the Fr-Sky taranis out ? If so where can I buy it.
The transmitter you fly with has almost nothing to do with the FPV except for frequency. If a radio fly's your model and doesn't clash with your FPV gear, then it's good to go.
For what it's worth, check out Youtube for the 9X flash mods and see if you are comfortable making those changes to the radio. If not, get the 9XR and go fly something! :)

tramsgar

For sure, flying quads doesn't require a lot of features beyond rates and expo, but the possibility for battery telemetry is a very nice safety feature to have. I haven't held the Taranis, but those who have say the gimbals are very nice. The gimbals on the 9X and 9XR are "ok". My final opinion and advice is: if you can afford the Taranis with rx, go for it. If not, consider 9X or 9XR with frsky or even a Spektrum module and dsmx rx. Good luck and get in the air!

Bobo

Thank for the helpful information. I have heard the DX6i has a battery telemetry which is helpful. Is the DX6i transmitter any good. I don't think the taranis does but this is not a need. I am now leaning towards the 9X and the taranis. Also what are some good modules that go with the taranis.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
DX6i doesn't support built in telemetry. An external telemetry can be bolted/velcro'ed on, but Spektrum's built in telemetry starts with the DX7s and up.

It's nice and I really like mine, but you'll also need to pick up a $50 telemetry module for the plane in addition to the not-quite-cheap transmitter.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thank for the helpful information. I have heard the DX6i has a battery telemetry which is helpful. Is the DX6i transmitter any good. I don't think the taranis does but this is not a need. I am now leaning towards the 9X and the taranis. Also what are some good modules that go with the taranis.
Thank you.
The Taranis has the telemetry built into it, you just need the various sensors hooked to a telemetry capable Rx, as you would with any telemetry system. It has a built in Tx module in addition to a JR module bay on the back so it's ready to fly without any extra module. You can however, also use any JR compatible module in it, so say you have existing models flying Spektrum. Pop in a Spektrum or even a DSMX OrangeRx JR module and Bob's your uncle!

shaun74

Why would you stay away from Orange T-Six? I own a JR 9x,Turnigy 9x as well as the Orange T-Six. I think its a awesome radio with great features. Its a better radio in my opinion than the Spektrum dx 6 and alot better quality than the Turnigy 9x. For a beginner at the current cost and personally dont think it can be beaten. Just my opinion and i have been flying for 22 years.
Happy flying.

At your age you can figure anything out, so don't be afraid to get a "too complicated" radio. I'd stay away from OrangeRX T-SIX as it could prove too simplistic quite soon. Of course, budget applies... =). 9XR is not a bad advice. FR-Sky are good, new generation is just out (XJT and X8R) but that's quite high end and may not fit your budget. Should you go that way, you could either look for the Taranis or a 9XR/9X together the FR-Sky module/tx, depending on budget. 9X or 9XR with Spektrum DSMX would also serve your well.

The question pops up at least every week, and it comes down a lot to your needs, desires and requirements. If you tell us a bit more what you (do not) want and need, it'll be easier to choose.

shaun74

I bought a Orange T-Six transmitter from HK just to try it as i did with the Turnigy 9x when it was released. In my opinion, nothing in its price range come close to the |Orange T-Six. It has a few features that the Spektrum DX6 does not have. An important one for me is backlighting. It also has a roller switch, which i prefer, as well as buttons to use your menu. Plenty more for just $65. Wide range of well priced recievers to choose from. I mean, What more can you ask for as an beginner to intermediate pilot?

The quality also far exceeds that of a Turnigy 9X or 9X-r.

Bobo

Thanks for all the help. I also want to know if I go the route of the 9X or the 9XR, with the Fr-Sky module and the X8R receiver which of the transmitters would be better for me.