transmitters for the beginner

Marzipan

actually, scratch the question about a transmitter for a 7 year old. I realize that they'll only be able to do 2...maybe 3 channels for some time, so there is no real risk to letting them get fly time by simply going out and flying. it's me, who wants to do 4 channel and more that needs the sim time.

Bricks

Master member
It sounds like you are already getting a handle on this RC stuff. What may be a good idea as mentioned before if you have an RC flying field nearby take a trip out there and talk to the guys. Tell them where you are at and what you want to do, there is nothing like actually holding a transmitter in your hands and the feel of it, it can make the difference in your choice. My last transmitter I bought is Open TX but the feeling of the transmitter is not very ergonomic in my hands, so it does cause me issues once in a while when flying.

Marzipan

It sounds like you are already getting a handle on this RC stuff. What may be a good idea as mentioned before if you have an RC flying field nearby take a trip out there and talk to the guys. Tell them where you are at and what you want to do, there is nothing like actually holding a transmitter in your hands and the feel of it, it can make the difference in your choice. My last transmitter I bought is Open TX but the feeling of the transmitter is not very ergonomic in my hands, so it does cause me issues once in a while when flying.

thanks for the kind words. there are some enthusiasts where I live, but I'm uncertain how organized they are. I joined their Fb page and there is about 12 or so with two of those being newbies that just connected.

but yes...I will make a point to see how many I can handle abd feel.

Marzipan

I did some Googling to compare the Jumper T-Lite and FrSky X-Lite and all the comparisons that came up were with everyone talking about how good they are for multirotor use.

is that their intended focus or just something they fell into as a niche? is there any particular reason they aren't popular for use with fixed wing craft?

quorneng

Master member
Marzipan
Don't get too hung up on having lots of channels.
To fly under complete control you only need 3 (throttle, aileron and elevator). To handle crosswind landings and many aerobatics you do need a rudder, then maybe flaps and retracts so 6. Possibly also 'dual ail' giving 7.
Thereafter extra channels are likely to do things that are not directly part of the aerodynamics unless the plane is pretty sophisticated.

Select a transmitter that supports any receivers you already have or want to get in the future and at a price that makes sense to you.

Marzipan

Marzipan
Don't get too hung up on having lots of channels.
To fly under complete control you only need 3 (throttle, aileron and elevator). To handle crosswind landings and many aerobatics you do need a rudder, then maybe flaps and retracts so 6. Possibly also 'dual ail' giving 7.
Thereafter extra channels are likely to do things that are not directly part of the aerodynamics unless the plane is pretty sophisticated.

Select a transmitter that supports any receivers you already have or want to get in the future and at a price that makes sense to you.

I don't think I am worried about channel support...but know I want at least 6. I am a beginner, haven't even bought a plane yet...broke, so waiting for a chance when I have some extra to buy the EZ Basix Pack for my grandson and I. I guess I could order the EX Fighter just so we have chuck gliders though. I could swing that right now I think.

what I am concerned about is not knowing / understanding the lingo for features / functions and operations the different transmitters have to offer and things like weaknesses / deficits too, of which I aske about in my previous post about how the gamepad style models seem to have a multirotor use focus. does that mean there were be problems / issues with using them for fixed wing aircraft or helicopters? I have small hands, so they caught my attention compared to the bricks that all the others come as.

Marzipan

are there any side by side comparison charts or articles that talks about the key differences between a manufacturers transmitter models?

quorneng

Master member
Marzipan
There is no such thing as an ideal transmitter. As you will discover there is considerable brand loyalty.
If you are going to join a club there is a lot to be said for using the equipment that the majority use as there will be expert help 'on hand'.

If you are going to fly alone, as I do, the choice is harder. When I moved onto 2.4 I bought a transmitter & receiver second hand. it worked well enough but it was rather unique and additional receivers were very expensive and hard to find.
This situation prompted me to move to what was/is arguable the most popular brand, Spektrum. I was well aware many folk said it was no good but then why was it so popular.
At the time the bigger DX8 and DX10 had just been released so many of the then very popular DX6i came on the second hand market. As a bonus it had, and still has, a wide range of cheap 'clone' receivers available too.
The DX6i was always intended to be an 'introduction' transmitter so has some limitations but it does everything I need.
That's my story.

Marzipan

I've decided I will go for the Jumper RC T-Lite. the only detail that bugs me about it is the observation / complaint about how quickly the battery dies when you connect the module to work with Spektrum tech. Spektrum pricing is out of my league right now, so not sure if that will ever be a real concern for me as there are a lot of other affordable electronics that the T-Lite will work with no problemo.

thanks for your thoughts and being a sounding board as I worked through all the information I've been absorbing!

trey

I've decided I will go for the Jumper RC T-Lite. the only detail that bugs me about it is the observation / complaint about how quickly the battery dies when you connect the module to work with Spektrum tech. Spektrum pricing is out of my league right now, so not sure if that will ever be a real concern for me as there are a lot of other affordable electronics that the T-Lite will work with no problemo.

thanks for your thoughts and being a sounding board as I worked through all the information I've been absorbing!
Make sure you let us know how you like it. My son needs a TX, and we are considering that one.

Marzipan

all I need to do is find a kit that will ensure I can use it with Pheonix 6.0. there are 22 in 1 kits, but I'd prefer it to be wireless if at all possible.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If you are planning on flying anything with a flight controller, I woud recommend at minimum a 6 channel radio, preferably 8. The reason is you need the standard Throttle, Roll, Pitch, and Yaw, but also arming, and flight mode channels. another example is the Horizon/e-flight UMX Turbo Timber uses 6channels. ch5 for safe/as3x and ch6 for flaps.

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
...wonder if someone spending the time to collate all the info and data would be appreciated by others.

That would take someone non-biased to do so... and seeing how the threads about 'which TX should I get' tend to become "brand wars" or tread near to them....
if you ignore the 'opinion' parts, you might be able to get something like that. but unfortunately stuff like 'stability'/'support quality' tend to be more opinionly in response then 'x channels, y type gymbols, supports the follow protocols, has x buttons, uses w software'

Marzipan

If you are planning on flying anything with a flight controller, I woud recommend at minimum a 6 channel radio, preferably 8. The reason is you need the standard Throttle, Roll, Pitch, and Yaw, but also arming, and flight mode channels. another example is the Horizon/e-flight UMX Turbo Timber uses 6channels. ch5 for safe/as3x and ch6 for flaps.

the T-Lite has channels in spades...supports up to 16.

That would take someone non-biased to do so... and seeing how the threads about 'which TX should I get' tend to become "brand wars" or tread near to them....
if you ignore the 'opinion' parts, you might be able to get something like that. but unfortunately stuff like 'stability'/'support quality' tend to be more opinionly in response then 'x channels, y type gymbols, supports the follow protocols, has x buttons, uses w software'

it has to be done by someone who honestly wants to be a help. an opinion could possibly cause problems with bias...but if you just collate the data and create a chart that lists off the features and functions of said products, there shouldn't be any bias that surfaces unless you're trying to misdirect the readers.

opinions can be discussed when questions arising from those reading said data and need help translating or weighing them out, etc. warranty, service, QC...that's mostly anecdotal, thought trends may appear to give said opinion or bias a foundation to give it some legitimacy to your equation. LoL!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I think most people here honestly want to help. None of us are perfect. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. No single product, brand, or development method is perfect either. They too each have their strengths, weaknesses, and tradeoffs. This is where knowing what it is you want to accomplish and how much you have to spend should guide you down the path of which product checks the most important boxes.

Marzipan

I think most people here honestly want to help. None of us are perfect. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. No single product, brand, or development method is perfect either. They too each have their strengths, weaknesses, and tradeoffs. This is where knowing what it is you want to accomplish and how much you have to spend should guide you down the path of which product checks the most important boxes.

yup! almost everything has bias, and that okay until it crosses the line and becomes fanaticism / extremism and mo longer responds to being reasonable.