Transporting a 3D foamie

3DMad5

I Like SBach 342's
So I'm moving to America for a year. I don't have to bring any planes there, because it would be easier to buy one once I get there. What I want to know is,what would be the best way to bring it back? The plane will be a Twisted Hobbys 32" Crack Yak. I've limited myself to only one plane due to the difficulty of transporting the planes back. As for the method of transport, if anyone could think of a way to get it to fit into a suitcase that would be great, but if not I'll have to ship. :( It's a shame this hasn't been invented yet:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686942&highlight=backpack+yak

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Have it be your carry on luggage. Great conversation starter on the plane! lol...a plane in a plane - inception!!

3DMad5

I Like SBach 342's
You're allowed to carry planes as hand luggage? I wouldn't have worried so much if I had known that could be done.:) Thanks!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I would check first. I think that it will be ok. I would take all the electronics off except the servos and see how it goes.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Honestly I think I would build it with a removable wing and send it to yourself. I wouldn't even attempt to bring it on a plane. You can see how the RTF Ultra Micros from Horizon are packaged in foam boxes that are reusable as storage and transport, but that makes for a big box. It would be much easier to pull the wing off (if you build it that way) and stick int in a box with some foam peanuts and mail it.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Well I know you cannot carry or ship by air lipo's overseas. I know you will not be able to carry the lipo's on even domestic flights. I would check all regulations with your carrier before doing something you may regret...

Just trying to save you some time and headache!!!

TommyG

Well I know you cannot carry or ship by air lipo's overseas. I know you will not be able to carry the lipo's on even domestic flights. I would check all regulations with your carrier before doing something you may regret...

Just trying to save you some time and headache!!!

Does that mean I cant take half my mobile devices with me? Arnt most laptops/mobile phones/etc powered by Lipo cells? Seems strange that model RC ones would be singled out.

3DMad5

I Like SBach 342's
Honestly I think I would build it with a removable wing and send it to yourself. I wouldn't even attempt to bring it on a plane. You can see how the RTF Ultra Micros from Horizon are packaged in foam boxes that are reusable as storage and transport, but that makes for a big box. It would be much easier to pull the wing off (if you build it that way) and stick int in a box with some foam peanuts and mail it.

I've been thinking of ways to build the plane so it can be easily disassembled, but i haven't come up with a way to attach the wing securely while still making it easy to remove.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I've been thinking of ways to build the plane so it can be easily disassembled, but i haven't come up with a way to attach the wing securely while still making it easy to remove.

What about velcro straps, like in the Bixler mod?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I have a plane that is similar size but the wing is a single piece that slips through the fuselage. My Galaxy has it glued in integral to the structure. For the one that slips through if I didn't glue it in and pinned it or slotted it in or something it could work. Really a big pain in the butt though. My Galaxy has a 33" wingspan and there's really no way I'd try to take it with me anywhere but in the back of my truck. Might just want to buy a plane for the time you're here and then sell it before you go home. Take your radio and gear with you but sacrifice the plane. Plop it all in a new airframe when you get home.