Traveling internationally with my DX8

Bilemshious

Any tips on taking my DX8 with me internationally? I have limited room in my suitcase, so I was planning on just wrapping it in t-shirts and such.

A concern is putting it on a checked bag because who knows who will take it?? Also, I don't know if customs on the other side will wonder if it's suspect.

Am I worried too much about this??

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Anything with batteries are suspect for air transport. I hope that you do not use LiPo in the DX8? It would make a real problem if the inspection knows anything. Wrapping the TX in t-shirts and other softies will be fine for transport.

aiidanwings

Having flown with various tools and electronics proffesionally, and the headache it has caused me. I now UPS my junk.

I would not carry on anything that could be interpreted as a threat. Ya know.. things like hand grenades, soft drinks, or drone piloting systems.

I suggest calling the airline for advice.

Bilemshious

Thanks for the advice guys. The problem with shipping it is that I don't know my address and I don't know how long it would take for me to receive all my flying stuff.

I don't use a LiPo in my DX8. I don't have any Lipos bigger than a 1S that I'm taking with me...

tramsgar

Whereto are you travelling? Make sure you set the correct country setting in the radio for the destination.

Regarding lipos: People take their li-ion stuffed phones and laptops onboard all the time, surprised they're not banned but I guess that'd be bad for business class =).

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I would just take it with me, there are no laws prohibiting it...
No, but sometimes the homeland security people think they make the laws, so it would be a shame to have them "decide" that your radio is dangerous and therefore needs to be confiscated...

tramsgar

I'm going to China. How do I change the country settings?

Heeh, that's where all our stuff comes from - it'll feel like home. I can't imagine Chinese customs wouldn't let in something that's marked "Made in China"? Taiwan might be another story though... =) Anyway, to change the region go into System Setup -> System Settings -> Region and change the value. I think different sub-models have different options there. I only got EU and FR. I wouldn't worry, though. You may want to look it up, though, check Spektrums website or support, don't trust a guy with a silly name on some forum.

aiidanwings

I'm actually on hold with the T.S.A. right now! This is scary... I'm kinda worried about the black helicooter showing up.

Anyway, it's not on the prohibited items list. I'm on hold for more info. Or maybe a trace to my location for a drone strike. Not really sure.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm actually on hold with the T.S.A. right now! This is scary... I'm kinda worried about the black helicooter showing up.

Anyway, it's not on the prohibited items list. I'm on hold for more info. Or maybe a trace to my location for a drone strike. Not really sure.
If it's a drone strike, at least you can fight fire with fire! So to speak....

aiidanwings

It must have batteries (Lipo batteries can't be carried on if they weigh more than 8 grams or have more than 100 watt hours energy) installed, so it can be turned on to prove its really a tx. Then it's up to the discretion of the individual inspector.

Johan

Regarding lipos: People take their li-ion stuffed phones and laptops onboard all the time, surprised they're not banned but I guess that'd be bad for business class =).

I was thinking the same just a few hours ago, getting worried about Lipo's, the dangers, storage and such when reading forums, I just realized my Macbook on my lap was at about 60 degrees (Celsius), runs for at least > 5 hours on a battery, becomes hot (If I run a video conversion, it comes close to 100 degrees Celsius) and is considered less dangerous than a Lipo, which in fact is the same battery in a way.. (I'd be scared if a Lipo became as hot as my laptop).

Bilemshious

It must have batteries (Lipo batteries can't be carried on if they weigh more than 8 grams or have more than 100 watt hours energy) installed, so it can be turned on to prove its really a tx. Then it's up to the discretion of the individual inspector.

This is what the TSA told you? You know what, I'm just going to put it in my checked bag and hope for the best. I mean if it comes up missing, I am going to claim it so fast and raise heck.

tramsgar

What does the country setting actually do?

It sets the limits of the frequency band according to local regulations. I read up on it and it seems there's only two versions of the TX: EU and USA. The former has two regions, EU and FR(ance). So it's a "never mind", as it turns out. Sry.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It sets the limits of the frequency band according to local regulations. I read up on it and it seems there's only two versions of the TX: EU and USA. The former has two regions, EU and FR(ance). So it's a "never mind", as it turns out. Sry.
I was just wondering how the country would affect the radio and why it would need to know where it was but this cleared it up. Thanks, even if it was a "nevermind". :)

Johan

It's indeed mostly conventions and local political decisions: for instance in the US you can use the 900Mhz band for telemetry (I know the 3d robotics Mavlink radio's that go with the ardupilot do).

In Europe that radio band is 'off limits' for citizens, so here we use the 433Mhz band for that same purpose (and other purposes, because also Ham radio amateurs use it as well).

Sometimes differences are even more small scale: where the 'start' of a band differs per country, for example 433100 Khz in some countries, but even 434040 Khz in other countries (then it should be called 434 Mhz IMO :) ).

Most reasons are historical though, in flat countries (like where I live) some frequencies are usable that would not be of any use in the mountains for instance.