Treasure Trove of Free Plans Online!

earthsciteach

My excitement has been somewhat curtailed. This is the response from the tech ed teacher when I inquired about using it:

We have a Versa Laser, laser engraver and it cuts only some materials to 1/4" in depth. In light of it's $12,000 price tag, it is preferable for it not to be a loaner due to the fact that the laser tube replacement is $1000. I would be glad to take you through it's operation but not have it used to extreme cutting due to the costly replacement. I am usually with TSA fater school in room 6.
Judy

At least its not, "NO!" And she retires at the end of this year. Someone's going to need to know how to use it after she leaves.
:cool:

earthsciteach

No idea about the laser.

Some of the plans are downloadable in Autocad .dwg format. Exporting those should be no problem!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
No Problem - if the drawing include the cutting layout of the parts on the balsa and ply sheets....
Lots of drawings are scanned original plans from the kit. Measures are not always correct and parts are not always drawn on the plan other than on an assembled fuse or wing.

Most CNC machines will read dxf files these days, and most drawing or graphics software will generate them. Just gotta nest the parts onto the right sized sheets of balsa. Easy as pie. I don't think you can cut foam with the laser though, it just turns into a gooey mess and probably gives off some nasty smells.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Most CNC machines will read dxf files these days, and most drawing or graphics software will generate them. Just gotta nest the parts onto the right sized sheets of balsa. Easy as pie. I don't think you can cut foam with the laser though, it just turns into a gooey mess and probably gives off some nasty smells.

Yes you CAN laser cut foam. It just requires a fume extraction system and proper power settings.

Thurmond